PDA

View Full Version : 32 Special short case, long chamber?

Canuck Bob
03-19-2012, 07:37 PM
My Winchester has a long chamber compared to the cartridge case. Is this of any concern for a cast shooter? It looks like 32-40 cases will fill the chamber length better. I've heard of lead donuts and paper rings and am wondering if this is the cause.

runfiverun
03-20-2012, 12:50 AM
it is usually the culprit.
is the chamber long or has the frame been stretched?
you might could find some of the longer 38-55 brass and neck it down then trim to the right length for your gun.
it's some work, but 50 cases would last quite a while.

Larry Gibson
03-20-2012, 11:25 AM
Most 30-30s and 32 SPLs have long chamber necks and minimal throats. Thus standard "trim to" lengths make the cases short enough so when case mouths are crimped in the bullet crimp groove the ogive doesn't hit the leade. With soft cast bullets that I use for hunting I have gotten lead donut rings in the area between the case mouth and the mouth of the chamber.

I have found that some 32 SPLs have longer case lengths and use them in my 30-30 for such loads. The longer 38-55 case can also be resized/necked down for use in either the 30-30 or the 32 SPL and give a proper fit to the chamber necks. However, unless you then also cut the throat longer the bullet of choice may jam into the leade. When cast of a soft alloy for expansion when hunting and loaded in such cases with longer necks that fit the chambers my 411041 will have about half of the driving band engraved by the leade when chambered in both my M94s. That works fine with the softer hunting alloy but with 16+ BHN bullets chambering is difficult. Thus I only use the longer cases for the softer hunting alloyed bullets. With 16+ BHn cast bullets I've had no problems with lead donuts or riveting with the shorter necked cases.

Larry Gibson

Canuck Bob
03-21-2012, 12:25 AM
Thanks, I am planning to cut a throat to get a gentle taper for the leade with this rifle. It does seem the throat is really the freebore portion of the chamber. I purchased some 32-40 cases for loading cast and will trim and reform for the learning experience.

The folks on the CBA have been helpful as well. I think a custom mold from LBT will be the bullet someday.

Larry Gibson
03-21-2012, 10:56 AM
Sounds like you are well on the way to success.

Larry Gibson