PDA

View Full Version : Neck sizing with FL sizing dies?

Aloxite
03-19-2012, 07:26 PM
I've been looking for neck sizers for 303 and 7.62x54 Russian for awhile. A member here said that a 308 Winchester die would work well for neck sizing the 303. So it looks like I might have 303 covered.

I had picked up an extra 308 sizer die that doesn't have the expanding rod for $5 a ways back. So I've got one that I can modify if that could get me a 7.62x54 neck sizer. I've also got an extra Lee 7.62x54 full length sizer if that could be modified. I see Lee doesn't list a 7.62x54 neck sizer and I'd rather not shell out the cash for another brand. If I can't figure anything out I'll just neck size with a Lee loader.

Anyone have any advise for me?

Thanks,
Aloxite

emrah
03-19-2012, 08:13 PM
Actually, I'm able to neck size that case by just adjusting the FL die. Now, it's not a "true" neck sizer, but it seems to work well enough to not make a mark on the sharpie or smoke color I put on them. In fact, I can do this with my .30-30 and 8mm Mauser as well.

Emrah

Bwana
03-19-2012, 09:12 PM
Actually the 7.62X54 would work as a neck sizer for the 303 (British). The 308 die will most likely not work for the Nagant round. The body taper and base diameter are too great for the 308 die. If I were you I would try partial full length sizing in the Nagant die.

smoked turkey
03-19-2012, 09:35 PM
I have found that if the cases you are loading are always shot in the same chamber that it is not necessary or desirable to full length resize every time. It only serves to shorten the life of the brass. More importantly in brass that has a small shoulder to head space on, it has a tendenancy to set this critical dimension back so as to create excessive headspace. This results in mis-fires or most often the primer is not hit with sufficient force to fire the round. FL sizing has lead to lots of problems for me in my 416 Rigby and to some degree in my 35 Whelen. I recommend that the fired cases be resized in the neck only and I usually stop just a very little bit above the shoulder of the case. In other works do not let the FL sizing die bottom out on the shell holder. Back it off a turn or so and sneak up on the final setting based on the neck sizing as outlined above. Others may have differing experience but that is what I am trying to do with some of my problem cases and it seems to work for me.

429421Cowboy
03-19-2012, 10:18 PM
I smoke the necks of my cases then run the die down in increments to just barely size to above the shoulder when i set my F/L dies to NS.

Aloxite
03-21-2012, 10:07 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. I'll give it a go with a full length sizer and see how it goes.