PDA

View Full Version : 62gn FMJ out of 22LR

Lizard333
03-19-2012, 01:27 PM
Thanks to Blaster62, I found out that I can make 62gn FMJ out of 22LR cases. I skip the core seating and go straight to the point forming. The thing is I haven't been able to make them look nice with a solid pure lead core. I have to use some #9 shot, six pieces to be exact, with a soft 45 grain core on top. Point forming them this way I get a nice tight nose without the blowout in the nose like pure lead cores.

Any thoughts?? What do you guys do?

lup
03-19-2012, 01:57 PM
Thanks to Blaster62, I found out that I can make 62gn FMJ out of 22LR cases. I skip the core seating and go straight to the point forming. The thing is I haven't been able to make them look nice with a solid pure lead core. I have to use some #9 shot, six pieces to be exact, with a soft 45 grain core on top. Point forming them this way I get a nice tight nose without the blowout in the nose like pure lead cores.

Any thoughts?? What do you guys do?

Making FMJ bullets is very difficult with most swage dies. It puts a great deal of pressure on the point forming die and the die will eventually crack down the middle since it's not designed for it.

After killing one die, I decided that FMJ bullets were cheap enough as surplus and I didn't experiment further.

If you did have to make them yourself, I suspect that you'd have to point form in two steps. One to form the nose and then another swage the ogive and shank of the bullet separately.

If you're skipping the core seating as you say above, I think that you risk having a loosely fit core in your jacket and you'll get inconsistent results but if you're happy with what you get, then it works for you.

LUP

MIBULLETS
03-19-2012, 06:08 PM
When you say skip the core seating operation you mean seating the core in the point forming die then that is an exceptable way to do it. Seat the core in the point former, eject, turn the bullet around and just push it into the point former to start the base rounding, eject again and turn it back around and finish flattening the base. This will work if you have the weight perfect for the jacket you are using, but it works better by adding one step of using a concave punch to complete the base rounding then hit it with the flat base punch.

Note: if you push too hard on the point forming or the jacket is too thin, lead will break through the tip of your new bullet.

runfiverun
03-20-2012, 12:18 AM
i just pull the anvil from a large primer and set it on top of the opening inside the case before putting it in the point die.

Lizard333
03-20-2012, 12:27 PM
i just pull the anvil from a large primer and set it on top of the opening inside the case before putting it in the point die.

Let me see if I understand correctly. You put the anvil on the jacket, then add you core?

MIBULLETS
03-20-2012, 02:10 PM

Now that is a good idea! A fully enclosed FMJ.:2_high5:

Lizard333
03-20-2012, 08:58 PM
Would a 22 cal gas check work as well? I'm away from my press for business. Same concept.

runfiverun
03-21-2012, 01:38 AM
should if it's annealed.
the anvil is the right shape, adds a couple of grains of weight to my 60 gr bullets which brings them right close to the 62 grs you want.
the cup of the primer will usually fit right in there too, but it's a bit heavier and needs annealing.
and sometimes it don't want to shape quite right.
the plated ones look pretty cool if you get them to point up just so with that little bit of shiney at the tip
i core seat and drop the anvil in on top of the core, then point form around it.
the three legged anvils work best for me, i think they will initiate expansion too, but haven't tried any for that.

badluther
03-24-2012, 07:21 PM
should if it's annealed.
the anvil is the right shape, adds a couple of grains of weight to my 60 gr bullets which brings them right close to the 62 grs you want.
the cup of the primer will usually fit right in there too, but it's a bit heavier and needs annealing.
and sometimes it don't want to shape quite right.
the plated ones look pretty cool if you get them to point up just so with that little bit of shiney at the tip
i core seat and drop the anvil in on top of the core, then point form around it.
the three legged anvils work best for me, i think they will initiate expansion too, but haven't tried any for that.

Have any pictures? I would be curious to see what they look like.

runfiverun
03-24-2012, 11:00 PM
plain based fmj with a little step right at the nose.
there is a little hollow area under the point.
you have to be careful with the handle forming them, or they go off center.