PDA

View Full Version : Top punches for LEE molds

DonMountain
03-19-2012, 10:22 AM
I just received a new LEE 8mm Karibiner mold and a LEE C452-300-RF mold only to discover that I don't have top punches for these boolits for resizing/lubricating in my RCBS Lubamatic. Can anyone give me suggested top boolit punch numbers that fit these two? Either Lyman or RCBS? I would appreciate it.

theperfessor
03-19-2012, 10:44 AM
There's a chart somewhere for this, but I can also help you get nose punches that fit exactly and are cheaper than Midway, etc. See my sig line if you're interested.

45-70 Chevroner
03-19-2012, 11:02 AM
For the C452 mold just about any flat nose punch will work as long as it is just a little larger than the flat nose area of you boolit. As for the 8MM I have heard about using epoxy in a nose punch that is larger and pushing the boolit down into the epoxey after coating the boolit with a release of some kind, then let it set up then pull the boolit out and you have a custom fit.

fcvan
03-19-2012, 11:25 AM
+1 on the flat nose punch. Making sure the boolit is square in the die first is very important and after that a flat punch works fine. I have bought various nose punches for different boolit styles and they don't always fit perfectly. I have one punch which is round nosed but undersized so it makes a ring imprint on the boolit. A flat punch sometimes leaves a flat spot on the round nose and I can live with that over a ring imprint. I wanted to have a flat punch so I took the undersized round nose punch and filled it in with JB Weld. It would be nice to have perfect fitting nose punches for every mold I own and I may just have to do some business with the perfessor! Frank

DonMountain
03-19-2012, 01:31 PM
I have tried using a top punch designed for an RCBS flat nosed 45-70 bullet, being careful to try to center the nose of the bullet in the center of the punch. But I was hoping to find top punches that actually fit the nose of the boolit correctly so I wouldn't have to be so careful as I enter the die with the boolit. And get faster production with the RCBS Lubricator/Sizer.

41 mag fan
03-19-2012, 01:38 PM
Go with Keith, the perfessor, he'll give you a top quality product, top quality service, 1/2 the price of getting one from a supplier.
Plus Keiths a heck of a good person to deal with, easy to make friends with, and you'll be supporting a member of this forum.

I've got 1/2 doz of his nose punches, and more coming. I don't even bother with looking up a nose punch, I get ahold of Keith, and let him know what I need, he takes care of the rest.

stubshaft
03-19-2012, 04:15 PM
The perfesser and buckshot can make you top punches or you can easily modify the one your using with 5 minute epoxy for a perfect fit. PM me if you want to learn how.

DLCTEX
03-19-2012, 11:01 PM
I have made do with a small wad of aluminum foil in a nose punch. The foil will compress to the shape of the boolit nose. Sometimes need a dab of boolit lube to hold the foil in place.

45-70 Chevroner
03-20-2012, 10:41 AM
DLCTEX: I bet it does not look so pretty but it sounds like a quick fix, I personally will have to try it.