PDA

View Full Version : Mounting scope on Romanian Trainer M69

historicfirearms
03-19-2012, 06:43 AM
My best friend just gave me a great gift, a BSA Sweet 22 scope. I would like to mount it on my Romanian Trainer. Upon measuring the groove on top of the receiver, it looks like a normal 3/8" rimfire base is going to be a little too wide. I could drill and tap for a weaver mount, but I'm a little hesitant to go modifying any military firearm, even though this one only cost me about $45. I've also thought about modifying a set of standard 3/8" rings to fit on the groove of this rifle. Just thought I would ask here in case anyone else has done this.

Shooter
03-19-2012, 07:57 AM
With a little file work, the clamp-on .22 rings will fit the groove on the rifle.

nwellons
03-19-2012, 08:25 AM
Don't know anything about Romanian trainers but your concern is correct about modifying a military firearm.

Many collectible firearms that were cheap at the time have been drilled for scopes or otherwise sporterized and the collector value was ruined.

I have seen rifles that would have been worth many hundreds of dollars now worth less than $100 because of modifications. When purchased they were probably so cheap than there was no consideration that modifying would affect future value.

Jack Stanley
03-19-2012, 09:52 AM
I would lean to the idea of modification of the rings instead of the firearm . The rings don't seem to appreciate in value near as much as firearms do so if you want to reverse the process later just take the rings off the rifle . It is indeed difficult to put metal back into a hole that's been drilled and tapped .

Jack

6.5 mike
03-19-2012, 10:26 AM
I used a set of Burris 22 clamp ons, adjusted the ring to fit the rib. It is not grooved.

Didn't have any problem once tightened up.

corvette8n
03-19-2012, 12:43 PM
Kwik-site used to have some specifically for the Romanian; I have a set on one of my Romanians. The other one I filed down one side of some Chinese rings I had lying around and they work also. I also found that some red dot sights could be tightened enough to work.

historicfirearms
03-20-2012, 05:56 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I decided not to drill and tap. I went to the local sporting goods store yesterday afternoon and found a set of Millett rings that worked on the rib. I sighted in the scope and was shooting 1.5" groups at 100 yards within 20 minutes of going to the range. To say the least, I am so pleased with this little rifle.