PDA

View Full Version : wonder wads...?

RugerBob
03-19-2012, 05:23 AM
Hey Guys. I do some cowboy shooting and switched from smokeless to goex this year. Haven't been to a match as next one here is in April.
I went with a 210 gr FNRP and put a wonder wad under it to make up space for powder compression. Someone told me that they may contaminate my powder. Is this true?
I only have a few 100 loaded up so far, but if it doesn't contaminate, would it over a period of time, such as 12-14 months?
This is all in 45LC.
Thanks, Bob

Dan Cash
03-19-2012, 07:11 AM
Yes, Wonder wad will eventually leave you wondering if you charged the case. Felt wad is good but pistol does not need wad, just good lube in the grooves.

RugerBob
03-21-2012, 10:22 AM
Thanks Dan. The more I am learnin about trying this, the more I am rethinking why? LOL.

Grapeshot
03-21-2012, 01:35 PM
You can try a wax paper wad under the wonder wad. That will stop lube migration. You can also start using a boolit with big lube grooves and use SPG or other Black Powder compatable Lubricant. I say this as I don't know what boolit you are using. Good luck on your BP cartridge shooting.

gandydancer
03-21-2012, 02:08 PM
contaminate your powder for sure like Dan says and much sooner then 12/14 months. GD

Lead pot
03-21-2012, 06:28 PM
I dont know what wonder wads are, but I use felt wads I cut and lube then with cut down bullet lube that is very soft.
The way I load them is with a OJ or Milk carton wad over the powder and a .040 cork wad then the felt wad with a cork under the PP bullet.
I havent had a problem with this set up contaminating the powder.
Do this, load a couple rounds with those wads and put them in your car or truck on the seat in a ammo box and in a day or so take them out and pull the round apart and check it out.
One more thing you can do is take a card wad cut from a cereal box and turn the unpainted side to face the cork. If the oil gets by the cork it will show up very fast on the card wad.
I just shot some this morning that have been loaded since winter and they shot just fine.

Muddy Creek Sam
03-21-2012, 06:37 PM
I use Wonder Wads in my 51 Navy C&B Pistols but no where else.

Sam :D

RugerBob
03-23-2012, 08:32 PM
I have SPG set up in my lube sizer and am currently hunting a mold with wider lube grooves that won't set me back to much in the wallet. Want 4 cav or larger.
Will be used in 45LC revolvers, 5 1/2 vaqueros and 24" levergun.
Thanks, all, Bob

montana_charlie
03-24-2012, 12:49 PM
I dont know what wonder wads are, but I use felt wads I cut and lube then with cut down bullet lube that is very soft.
The way I load them is with a OJ or Milk carton wad over the powder and a .040 cork wad then the felt wad with a cork under the PP bullet.
I havent had a problem with this set up contaminating the powder.
Do this, load a couple rounds with those wads and put them in your car or truck on the seat in a ammo box and in a day or so take them out and pull the round apart and check it out.
That would be quite a combination in his .45 Colt case ...
CM

Lead pot
03-24-2012, 08:16 PM
CM.

Yes I know. What I was getting at is you can us a felt wad soaked in just oil and keep it from contaminating the powder using the proper wad stack.

catkiller45
03-28-2012, 10:19 PM
Do you folks feel that the felt wads are better at keeping the fouling soft
than the plain lube cookie? Can SPG be melted down and be used to soak
felt wads with/ or would you recommend something different? I have never used the
flet wads except in my inline musket loader and they were the wonder wads?