PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a box of 310 stuff

fatelk
03-19-2012, 12:37 AM
I recently picked up a box full of 310 stuff: tool, dies (mostly primer dies), tru-line shell holders, some other odds and ends.

I've never owned or used a 310 tool before. I thought there would be something in here I could tinker with and use, but going through it I think I'll likely just end up sorting through and selling most of it.

I found a 310 die chart, but the few that have numbers on them don't seem to correlate. Is there a chart for the numbers on the primer seaters? There were 14 of them. Also, there is one unusual Tru-Line shellholder with a spring-loaded door for some kind of automatic feed. Does anyone know what this is for?

3006guns
03-19-2012, 04:53 AM
Try here for most calibers and die numbers....

http://www.castpics.net/subsite/Lyman310/310QuickReference.jpg

Never seen a Tru Line shell holder/primer feed like that.....must have had some sort of "magazine" to feed primers?

I might be interested in some of the pieces, especially the ladle since my stepson took off with mine!

Green Frog
03-19-2012, 03:13 PM
For pretty much all of the die numbers, you might find it easier to use the chart I developed and contributed (without attribution credit, I see) here;

http://www.castpics.net/subsite/Lyman310/DieCodeChart.html

As for the priming chambers (that's what Lyman called them) you can use the same numbers as the J-type and later X-type shell holders from Lyman. I started a list of those at one time, but it's easier just to use theirs.

The odd-ball shell holder was used on the Lyman Tru-Line Senior only, IIRC. I've only seen one to actually work with and that was years ago, but again IIRC, the primers fed up from that gate on the size and decapping station, so you sized and decapped the old case, then recapped it before taking it to the next shell holder for the next processes. On further reflection, the recapping may have occurred at the second, mouth expanding, station, but like I say, I've only handled one of these old units and that was many years ago.

I once began to assemble a "set" of priming chambers so I could reprime about any shell. I would be interested in acquiring a few more if you have any of the odd ones I lack. Please PM me if you decide to sell or e-mail at;

gfrog53 AT yahoo DOT com

making the obvious substitutions.

Regards,
Green frog

Pressman
03-19-2012, 08:33 PM
Froggie, ya got dat wrong. That is teh shellholder for teh Ezy Loader press. The gate keeps the primers from the auto feed arangement from sliding into the die and jamming up the works.

Ken

Green Frog
03-20-2012, 12:18 AM
Mea culpa, Ken. I bow to your superior knowledge, since I only saw this thing the one time about 10-15 years ago. I always thought the Senior and the Ezy Loader looked kinda alike anyway, but again, I don't get to see them all the time! :)

Froggie

fatelk
03-20-2012, 12:40 AM
Unfortunately most of the priming chambers looks pretty common to me. Here's a list:

4- #2
3- #7
2- #26
1 each- 6, 9, 12, 14, and 17

Shellholders:
7- #2
4- #6
2- #17
1 each- 1, 3, 4, 10, 13, 14B, 18-S, 18, 19, 20 (43M), 26

There are a bunch of dies, but few sets, mostly odds and ends. There's stuff in 30-30, .222 Rem, 250-3000, 308Win, 30 Luger, 38S&W, 45 Colt, 257 Rob, 244 Rem, even what appears to be a .454" bullet sizer.

What are the minimum pieces for a die set for a 310 tool? I assume a sizer die, expander, seater, and priming chamber? I think I might just pick out a few usable pieces and put the rest on ebay or gunbroker as a lot. If there's something you could use, let me know. What's a fair price for individual pieces?

Bent Ramrod
03-20-2012, 05:44 PM
The 310 tool takes a neck sizer, a decapper, a bullet seater and the priming chamber. Unless the tongs are the purple steel variety marked with a specific caliber, the set will also need the specific adapter ring that screws into the inner side of the handles.

The Tru-Line Jr. used the "CMR" combination muzzle resizer die which neck sized and decapped in a single pass. You might be able to use such a die with a set of 310 handles, but you'll have a bone-crushing handshake if you do much reloading that way.:wink:

Unless they are unusual in some way, run-of-the-mine loose dies and shellholders pretty much top out at $5 around here.

fatelk
03-20-2012, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the good info, Ramrod. Several of the dies are marked CMR, I wondered what that meant. Considering that the few dies I might use are mostly CMR, it looks like the whole box will be headed for Gunbroker as a package deal when I get time.

I always find these cool old things at gun shows; presses, parts, tools, etc. I think it will be something neat to fiddle with and learn about but I never have the time to really get into them. I have too many projects already and it's just something I will never use.

Pressman
03-20-2012, 06:33 PM
Froggie, look at the top right picture, the three shellholders in the top right corner. The one in the center is a Tru Line shellholder, I cannot tell what the one on the far right is. To the left is the Ezy Loader shellholder.
Ken

fatelk
03-20-2012, 06:54 PM
The two shellholders to the right of the Ezy Loader shellholder both appear to be home-made, for what I don't know.

scrapcan
03-20-2012, 06:58 PM
The other guys gave you all the info you need, I cannot add much if any to the conversation.

What I will add is that you need to complete the sets and get a tru-line jr press and start using these treasures.

I can add that you might see 4 different primer punches for the tru-line jr. You will have a flat and domed for small and large primers. For the other presses used the j shell holder or previous incarnation you might also find shell holders for shotgun and primer punch to match.

scrapcan
03-20-2012, 06:58 PM
Ken,

Didn't one of the large presses use a shell holder that the case head/rim set down i on the seating station?

Pressman
03-21-2012, 05:43 PM
They all use a J shellholder but the style of the shellholder evolved over time. On the Armory press there were a special shellholder for each operation, held to the press with two holder/blocks on either side. On the Tru Line the design had changed to using a set screw to hold the shellholder in the press and the rim was cut flat accross half the top, like the one above. Tat was followed by the more common J that we see today and used on the Tru Line Jr and Eazy Loader sizing station.
Ken

scrapcan
03-21-2012, 06:35 PM
that top right shellholder looks like the one in a jordan for the bullet seating station. I can not tell for sure, but int eh picture it looks like the shank is smaller in diameter and maybe threaded?

Or it could be a home built used for some purpose.