PDA

View Full Version : Primer crimp taker outer ?

GRUMPA
03-18-2012, 09:26 PM
Folks I've been reloading for more years than I can count at times, but I just recently ran into a head scratcher. I've been using the RCBS crimp removal die set and recently some primers are a booger to seat and some aren't. So I get out my inspection tools and really dive into this, checking non-crimped primer pockets and then some of the ones I've swaged then different makes and so on.

Then it hit me that some makes have a primer hole at .173 and then there are those that have a .172 diameter hole. My little button on my RCBS measures .172. I had one of those Dillon models years ago but I think it was liberated from me.

Do I have a normal sized button? or is there more than one sized small primer button?

I can't believe after all this time I finally took the time to look at this very closely.

DLCTEX
03-18-2012, 10:10 PM
I can't answer your question, but my RCBS crimp removing die seems to be undersized on both the large and small buttons as I still have to use the Lyman reamer afterward to get a primer to seat. The push rod has been bent and straightened, shouldn't lend out tools, but I think I've run it down enough to get the full expansion from the button.

454PB
03-18-2012, 10:15 PM
I don't know if this applies in your case, but I've seen shallow primer pockets in a lot of .223 military brass. I bought a Lyman primer pocket uniformer to be able to use that brass.

engineer401
03-18-2012, 10:25 PM
Mine measures at 0.173". My Lyman reamer measures at 0.172". At times I've been forced to use the RCBS/LE Wilson chamfer-deburring tool which has never failed me.

cheese1566
03-19-2012, 08:48 AM
I have a press swager set. I also get a few that are hard to prime with my RCBS hand priming tool.
I will say that the press tool worls good, but has a learning curve to set up. Plus, you need to keep adjusting it for various brass. Real easy to bend a rod when careless. (Real easy to bend a couple press pivot pins when you are an idiot! Don't ask me how I know!)

I have a RCBS Bench Mounted Primer Pocket Swager coming in the mail as we speak. It looks to be similar in nature and concept as the Dillon, but green. We'll see how it goes! Maybe I can retire my press mounted units.

GRUMPA
03-19-2012, 09:57 AM
I'm thinking I might just give them a call later today and hopefully get someone on the other end that'll know what I'm talking about. It's not the depth that's an issue, I just need to be able to make them all the same size whether it be mil surp brass or commercial brass. Hopefully they'll have a .001 larger button than the one I have.

jcw1970
03-19-2012, 07:54 PM
I bought the rcbs set and the first time i used it on some mil .308, the rod bent. Called them up and they said i wasn't using it correctly. I followed the instuctions you sent with them. Some guy on ebay was selling some he had made because he had the same problem. They were 10 bucks and i have done thousands of cases with them. I believe they are case hardend steel.

Four Fingers of Death
03-19-2012, 09:10 PM
I have the RCBS one that fits in the press and you raise the ram, which forces the case down on the stud.

I thought it was just me, I have pulled out every year or two and fiddled with before puttin git back in the box and back on the shelf.

I was given oodles or milsup brass in 5.56 (sandbags full) and lots of 7.62. I then found a supply of cheap, once fired Winchester civilian brass that a roo' shooter had traded on new ammo. Too easy!

That Dillon and more recently the RCBS unit are like a mermaid on the rocks, calling me in, lol.

GRUMPA
03-19-2012, 09:13 PM
Oh I've bent mine as well, I figure when the time comes I'll replace it with a grade 5 or 8 bolt that I'll modify to work. Not really all that hard to do when your as determined as I am to make it work better than what the factory has to offer.

Four Fingers of Death
03-19-2012, 11:18 PM
By the way Grumpa, that should read taker-outerer, lol