PDA

View Full Version : First Loads Range Report

Michael J. Spangler
03-18-2012, 08:58 PM
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll105/MJSpangler/d878bb92.jpg

i brought a bunch of these to the range today

i have a S&W 1911 government size that slugs at .452

these are the MP .454-200grain hollow points bullets that i cast from WW allow and lubes half with javelina and half with BAC sized to .453

i loaded them over 4.5 grains of bullseye just to test for function in the gun

i put 65 rounds down the tube and was amazed at the result. very nice little target load. they shot perfect. not a hiccup in the function of the gun and accurate as i could ever want.

i did have a little bit of leading on the first 1/8" or so of the rifling.

what would cause is this in the spot? i'm going to do some searching to figure it out, i figured i would ask seeing as i'm posting about my great range trip.

thanks for all of the help from you guys here. i can't wait to load some more tomorrow. now i need more brass.

funny how 1000 pieces brass was plenty up till this point. now i have so many boolits i'm going to shoot way more, and need a lot more brass. good times [smilie=w:

gandydancer
03-18-2012, 09:15 PM
looks real good mike. I have one of them molds. I have never used it. I think I will. thanks mike. Tom Gandy

runfiverun
03-18-2012, 10:37 PM
i'd relook at that leading, some guns collect lube right there.
it could be lead there also as you put naked lead there before the lube had a chance to do anything.
that square area right there is a rough area to overcome.
i'd look at it first, then maybe try a little prelubing that area and see how that goes.
some jpw on a q-tip or bore patch/mop.
just a light coating.

Michael J. Spangler
03-18-2012, 10:43 PM
doing some reading it seems like it might be from a light load not allowing for proper obturation also
this was a very light load. awesome load though.

maybe it would be better to go with a softer lube for such a cast sneeze load?

runfiverun
03-19-2012, 03:38 AM
a soft lube is much more effective in a light load.
give the load a bump @ 2 tenths and see ,if you got things lubed and ready to go i'd start there.
then the lube.

you could try 452 sized too, if you have one that size or could borrow one maybe.
one thing at a time till you are cool with it.

DLCTEX
03-19-2012, 04:05 PM
Try shooting only one type of lube to see if it makes a difference. Personally I'd go with BAC.