PDA

View Full Version : The use of compressed air in reloading

H110
03-18-2012, 08:18 PM
For as long as I have been reloading I have used compressed air, here are a few of the things I use it for:

Wash my dies with B-12 then blow them off and out, Oil my dies as well as other things and blow off the oil for even distribution and a light film, after washing my cases blow them off and out they are dry and ready to load, blow out my powder measure, blow out the action on my guns, etc.

I can't imagine loading without it. I don't think I would even try.

just for kicks how many of you do the same and have found it to be as invaluable as I.

Circuit Rider
03-18-2012, 08:23 PM
My shop area is next to my reloading area, having air saves me a great deal of time. CR

DLCTEX
03-18-2012, 10:14 PM
I have used it to blast stuck media out of primer holes a handfull at a time. It also helps dry the water out of the cases after rinsing Lemishine off.

jonk
03-19-2012, 10:30 AM
Maybe it's a case of not knowing what I'm missing, but I've never had one. Depending on what folks come up with, it might get me to buy one though!

Bwana
03-19-2012, 10:31 AM
Yeah, you could use it to clean out your powder measure.

LUBEDUDE
03-19-2012, 11:00 AM
I know I drive the neighbors nuts with noises of harsh whistling from using 150 psi all the time at all hours, With the shop door open. And of course with the compressor kicking in as well!

H110
03-19-2012, 12:06 PM
Just a note, for you guy's that are in cramped spaces or if you load in a room in your home all you need is a small pancake compressor and a trash can with liner to blow whatever off in. I used this set up and it works just as well. All you really need is to set the regulator to about 12 to 15 psi and for most uses that will be plenty. Compressor will pump up and by working at these volumes and pressures you will find it doesn't run much.

H110

dragonrider
03-19-2012, 12:07 PM
Can't get by without compressed air.

W.R.Buchanan
03-19-2012, 02:10 PM
Since I load in my machine shop I ahve compressed air.

The first machine I bought when I started my shop was an Air Compressor. I still have it.

The original reason I bought the machine was to blow out my one car garage that I was grinding knife blades in. The grinding dust got everywhere and the compressor made short work of cleaning the place out.

I still blow stuff around on the floor but usually only after I use my big shop vac to suck as much up as I can.

The two best investments I have made in shop tools.

Randy

dauntlessdave
03-19-2012, 05:21 PM
Couldn't get by without it. The other thing I use and recently discovered they don't make them anymore is a "Dirt Dog" made by I-Robot. Great for cleaning the **** from around my reloading benches and workshop. It does a great job picking up spilled powders, spent primers, dog hair, and anything else that isn't too bulky. I worry about using my shop vac for anything to do with powder spills.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-20-2012, 12:05 PM
I have used canned air before, but those cans run out quickly and are expensive. I recently bought a 5 gallon air tank to drive the air piston on my Star lube feed and I'm looking forward to also using it as blown air. I have a couple of air tools already setup in anticipation.

Just waiting on dies for my Star to be completed from lathesmith.

taminsong
03-23-2012, 09:12 AM
My air compressor really helps a lot in my reloading room.

1. Cleaning the priming station in Hornady LNL.
2. Drives the air feed for my Star sizer.
3. Sometimes I use the air gun to hit the mosquitoes with a blast of air! lol, nice and fun!

Aloxite
03-24-2012, 03:10 PM
I have my compressor in the wood room and run the air to various work benches. For tasks that require a good bit of air it helps to have a tank nearby if you are running the air through small diameter lines. That keeps it from having a bad pressure drop. You can take an old propane tank and put a threaded bushing in the top with a tee fitting. Put your air line into one opening and use the other for the airline to your bench. When I run a high volume air tool I can hear the air filling the tank up again when I stop.

dauntlessdave
03-24-2012, 04:46 PM
"They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."

From a great movie!!!!

LUBEDUDE
03-24-2012, 06:08 PM
"We got us The Josey Wales! "