PDA

View Full Version : Someone with quickload...

jonk
03-18-2012, 07:43 PM
Maybe you've seen my thread in the military rifle CB load section... humor me and punch this in if you could:
8mm Mauser
.325" bullet
seated .3"
200 gr bullet
47 gr 2400 (you read that right).

What pressure do you come up with?

Dark Helmet
03-18-2012, 08:09 PM
140,000 psi

jonk
03-18-2012, 09:00 PM
Dayum.

Thanks much.

Dark Helmet
03-18-2012, 09:49 PM
Still a WAG but I think that might cause the problem you had.

TCLouis
03-18-2012, 11:08 PM
So this is REALLY what blew your gun up?

geargnasher
03-18-2012, 11:52 PM
How in heck did you get one case full of 2400 and yet the first one you fired was full of WC872 (or what ever it was you were using) that shot fine? I hope you're not saying you pulled down the rest and found some 2400 in some of them, that would sure explain a lot!

You're really fortunate on a number of levels, but having the second one blow up instead of the first really removes a lot of probables. The boolit hole in the target from the first one also removes the possibility of bore obstruction, unless it left a check in the bore, but even then I seriously doubt it would have blown the action. Bulge in the barrel maybe, but not an overpressured chamber.

I don't think even a case head separation (with all else being within safe parameters) would have caused that much damage, but I could be wrong. The -'06 case head is a tad small for the Mauser chamber if memory serves.

Gear

geargnasher
03-19-2012, 01:26 AM
Ok, read the update in your other thread, now it all makes sense! Now you know you really did dump the 2400 out of the measure before loading these, but in the wrong place!

Gear

303Guy
03-19-2012, 01:40 AM
The scary bit is that kind of mishap is a reality and could happen to anyone (especially me!) So far I have caught those accidental dumpings into the wrong place. Even having two powder measures on the bench is risky, even if the second one is empty. You can guess where this is going! I operate the measures to make sure they are empty before filling them but how long before I forget that step? New safety measures are indicated for me.:dung_hits_fan:

runfiverun
03-19-2012, 02:18 AM
i have the powder is and what it drops, written right on the hopper.
i have forgot what the powder was in there a couple of times,and a hundred pounds of powder won't help my lawn any.
i like to leave powder in the hopper and cover them.
that way when i empty them i have it off the bench and can see it's empty.

man,jon. wow.
i have followed the threads, and i was wondering if you did that or not.
but 47 grs of 2400 [shiver] i'd like to see the chrono numbers and target from that.
sorry about the rifle man.

Moonie
03-19-2012, 09:13 AM
I'm sorry for your problem, this is why I always double or triple check the look of a powder and the label on the can before dumping powder from a measure. If any clings I shake it out well in the yard.

This is one thing I'm VERY paranoid about.