PDA

View Full Version : Guy fired a M-N without the bolthead :-)

Buckshot
03-28-2007, 02:10 AM
.............When I went to sign in today atthe range, Brian the rangemaster handed me a M-N bolt and said, "What do you think?". It was a M-N bolt, sans bolthead but it did have the backend (casehead) of a cartridge case down over the firing pin. Brian said the guy had some facial cuts and was bleeding rather freely from them, but no major damage.

He wasn't really into talking Brian said, so it couldn't really be determined how the bolthead came to be missing from it. Or how someone could not notice it missing when you put the bolt in the action?

I told brian I'd like to take some pictures of it but he said one fo the club officers was going to come by and pick it up so I couldn't take it home.

...............Buckshot

Ricochet
03-28-2007, 09:29 AM
Dumb ****.

That can be done with a Gewehr 88, too.

XBT
03-28-2007, 11:05 AM
I always assumed the result of doing that would be disastrous. Maybe the guy was very lucky.

Nickle
03-28-2007, 01:22 PM
Darwinsim at it's best.

MtGun44
03-29-2007, 12:25 AM
You oughta get a box of rocks and challenge the guy to
beat it a IQ test. :twisted:

Man that is a really big part to forget to put back on. :roll:

I never cease to be amazed at the stupid stuff people can
do with guns and reloading and not get seriously hurt
if they just have eye protection.

Bill

JeffinNZ
03-29-2007, 12:41 AM
Let's be fair. He might have thought the rifle was a needle gun!!![smilie=1:

Bullshop
03-29-2007, 12:51 PM
Last night I had to go look at a mosin bolt just to see. It looks to me like there is nothing there to guide the firing pin to the primer. If he had it go off on the first try he was indeed very lucky. Perhaps it took several trys in which case he would have been very unwise.
bic/bs

45 2.1
03-29-2007, 01:15 PM
Let's be fair. He might have thought the rifle was a needle gun!!![smilie=1:

Ha! That is not even close to the two rifles that had that nickname. He probably wouldn't have known what a needlegun was either.

9.3X62AL
03-29-2007, 02:19 PM
That bolt assembly was a pretty sobering thing to see. One of those not-so-gentle reminders to not exceed one's knowledge level in any hazardous pursuit--to know one's limits--and to seek assistance when indicated.

Baron von Trollwhack
03-29-2007, 09:40 PM
Never think that we shooters, and casters, do not have Darwin Award aspirants among us. Wouldn't a tread be intresting? BvT

Catshooter
03-30-2007, 08:37 PM
Now that's what I would call excessive headspace. Testament to the strength of the MN.

Cat

Buckshot
03-31-2007, 08:45 AM
Now that's what I would call excessive headspace. Testament to the strength of the MN.

Cat

.............Yup. The boltguide that extends forward of the bolt body that the bolthead hooks under was bent up very slightly. I'm sure what happened is the case ignited, the firing pin supported the case enough for it to grip the chamber walls long enough for pressure to finally blow the casehead backwards, and rupture in the lug reccess's.

That rim and casehead was perfectly driven down over the firing pin. While the pressure wasn't something you'd wanna run in your car tires it sure wasn't anything close to max. That bolt rib does the primary camming effort on extraction so it lays to the right of the action ring and just the bitter end of the bolt body is right there under the rear edge of the action ring.

Since the bolt didn't back out, I guess the fastest easiest way out for the gas to get out was past that bolt rib extension, hense it's being bent out a tad. Jon K PM'd and said he was going to the range today and would try and get some photo's of it. Hopefully Brian still has it.

................Buckshot

TAWILDCATT
04-02-2007, 07:58 PM
center fire had some 88 and 71/84 junkers for sale couple months ago I got one of each.no bolt heads.the 88 is ready to go when I get the head.the 71/84 has bolt body.from the looks the firing pin would have fired it on first strike.man was he lucky!!!I would be terified to put a live cart in either of my guns just to check them.