PDA

View Full Version : New Member

Edgeofthewoods
03-28-2007, 12:28 AM
Hey folks. Been casting for about 10 years, but only pistol and BP rifle. This is my first time at centerfire rifle. I got an arspnal rebuilt No4 Mk2 Enfield. Completely rebuilt to brand new. I am casting bullets for it and I got a couple of questions.
For years I have loaded the Sierra 180 grain Pro Hunter with 40.0 grains of Varget. That old Enfeild LOVES that load. I cameacross a Lee C312-185-1R. Using a 90% WW and 10% Hard lead shot and dropping them in to cold water I am getting .313 bullets except for the first 3 or 4 casts.
Lead loads are not to easy to find in rifle powders, Well my powder that is.
1 I have a BUNCH of Bullseye for my .45 ACP and .45 Colts plus my wife uses it in her 9mm.
2 Have even more of Varget that I use for my .303, .308, 7.62x54R and my 9 year olds .243 and my wifes 7x57 Mauser
I really want to stay with the rifle powder for the rifles and pistol powder for the pistols.
Now my book does not show any loads for Varget for 180 grain cast. BUT for the .30-40 Krag it does show loads for a 190 grain Pb boolit of 25 grain to 35 grains of Varget. I am thinking of using this to start with since both the 30-40 and the 303 are very close. the 30-40 has about.109" on the 303 so I was thinking about a 10% reduction and working up.

OK Now for the stupid question of the day..... I have a lee sizer and I have been panlubing bullets for years. But only pistol bullets. How do I make sure the gas check stays on? I would hate like hell to have one of those things fall off and lodge in the bore. Is the best way to size the bullet base up so that the gas check is pressed first or point up so that it is last. Sorry for the newbie questions, but this is the best place to look for for answers.

Thanks folks

Chuck

Edgewood NM

JeffinNZ
03-28-2007, 12:46 AM
Firstly, stop apologising for being new and asking questions. This is what the forum is for.

I have a No.4 Mk2 also and just put a brand new BSA barrel on I scored a few weeks back. They tune up well and shoot very well. Try pressure pointing the barrel at the mid band on the front top and bottom and the same as the front. Mine really likes top and bottom pressure in the middle and top only at the front. Action bedded also.

Both this barrel and the last both like(d) my modified Lyman 311466 cut to throw WW at .315 and with a FN for 175gr. 16.5-17gr of H4227 produces 1600fps and it shoots sub 2 MOA. Bullets I size to .314 for the throat but your .313's will most likely be fine as .312 worked fine for me prior to getting a .314 die.

Varget should be fine in that range. Try it and see. Can't comment on Bullseye as we don't get it here anymore.

I HIGLY recommend you don't full length size your .303 brass as it will die very young. I have great success with Lee's collet die and my old barrel was very fussy with neck tension so I had to anneal the case necks every 5th or 6th firing. No drama and they last for ever with light loads.

Good luck.

45nut
03-28-2007, 12:46 AM
sounds like the Lee push through system is ideal for you. pan lube as usual then send them up thru the size die using your standard reloading press. Base first,,,top first,,really makes no difference because the checks will grab into the base anyway.

Really simple and you are not limited to the liquid alox and there are a ton of choices and the price is right.

Welcome to CB...lets get all the lurkers on board.eh? invite your friends!

Edgeofthewoods
03-28-2007, 12:53 AM
Firstly, stop apologising for being new and asking questions. This is what the forum is for.

I have a No.4 Mk2 also and just put a brand new BSA barrel on I scored a few weeks back. They tune up well and shoot very well. Try pressure pointing the barrel at the mid band on the front top and bottom and the same as the front. Mine really likes top and bottom pressure in the middle and top only at the front. Action bedded also.

Both this barrel and the last both like(d) my modified Lyman 311466 cut to throw WW at .315 and with a FN for 175gr. 16.5-17gr of H4227 produces 1600fps and it shoots sub 2 MOA. Bullets I size to .314 for the throat but your .313's will most likely be fine as .312 worked fine for me prior to getting a .314 die.

Varget should be fine in that range. Try it and see. Can't comment on Bullseye as we don't get it here anymore.

I HIGLY recommend you don't full length size your .303 brass as it will die very young. I have great success with Lee's collet die and my old barrel was very fussy with neck tension so I had to anneal the case necks every 5th or 6th firing. No drama and they last for ever with light loads.

Good luck.

Thanks. I learned my lesson many years ago in FL sizing of the .303. I see why Enfield put that hole in the side of the receiver!! I bought a Lee neck sizing set a few years ago and now most of my brass is wither lost of the neck splits before it is sent to the scrap heap

See ya
Chuck

Buckshot
03-28-2007, 01:28 AM
...........Edgeofthewoods, just wanted to add my welcome to the board. Glad to have ya!

...............Buckshot

9.3X62AL
03-28-2007, 10:22 AM
Edge--

Another welcome here, sir.

I have an older Enfield (1918 BSA) that I really enjoy. My last range trip with it was a few months back, and I raised a ruckus with the 300 yard impact plates and the NuJudge Way Fat 30's. Its bore condition is not pristine, and it will throw a flyer or two with every 10-shot group. Oh, well. The old critter is just too cool not to shoot, and that SMLE is my idea of what a bolt action battle rifle oughta look like.

Bigjohn
03-28-2007, 07:00 PM
G'day Edge,

Welcome to the board. I'm another SMLE No.1 Mk III* shooter (not a No.4, I know).

I have shot the Lyman 314299 through mine with good results and I have recently cast the LEE boolit for trial.

The gaschecks do need to be crimped on by pushing through a sizing die otherwise it's a waste of time as they just fall off.

See you around the board somewhere,
:drinks:
John.