PDA

View Full Version : My new invented orange lube

40Super
03-18-2012, 01:10 PM
I got experimental last night and decided to make up my own lube,for S*** and Giggles. The mix was
3.5 x 3.5 x 1 Beeswax
2 tblsp JPW
1 heaping tblsp Lanolin
1 tblsp STP tranny fluid
1 tsp Olive oil
1 tblsp red Wolfs Head bearing grease(I should have not added this I think,it didn't want to dissolve)

The "lube" turned out ok feeling, a little sticky though and too soft for me but I could be wrong on that. I cut the bullets out this morning and plan to load them up today. Don't know if I'll make it out to the range today though.

What is everyones thought on this? What did I do "wrong" or right. How could I stiffen it up a bit but still allow the lube to addhear in the groove when cut.

runfiverun
03-18-2012, 02:42 PM
olive oil will continue to soften the lube.
on the other hand as you re-melt it the grease will get better. [grease won't melt till you get it over 350*] it will however blend better with the carrier as you remelt the mix.
the jpw will cook off the solvents also.
i usually let my lubes sit for a week or two before i pass judgment on thier final outcome.

40Super
03-18-2012, 04:32 PM
Is the grease a good idea or bad? The top of the mixture after my second melting is about what I want,stiff but has a waxy film and not sticky. Undernieth is softer and sticky, even the bullets I cut out this morning,the lube hasn't hardened up at all so I think the beeswax seperated a bit and solidified more on the top,then the rest was underneith. All in all it does seem to be ok, as long as it doesn't allow leading.
I might add some vasoline,or replace the lanolin with it.

Elkins45
03-18-2012, 06:35 PM
Vaseline will only make it softer. If you have access to carnauba wax you might add a dab to stiffen it up. Absent that I would shred up some Ivory soap to stiffen it.

40Super
03-18-2012, 07:07 PM
OK ,then I will add a bit of carnuba wax and a little Ivory ,I have very little of the flakes here so I'll put a dab of both. I'm just learning what ingredients do what.
It's all for fun, this is how I like to learn thing,hands on,it's too easy to just buy stuff:redneck:

runfiverun
03-18-2012, 11:01 PM
the grease is fine.
it's a lithium soap.
one way to get it into the carrier is to mix it in while the carier is not melted but soft enough to blend.
the remelting you'll do for the re-lubing will make the lube better.
go easy with the hardeners more than 5% of either is too much, and you run into lube that breaks apart and won't stay in the grooves.
keep notes.
and work up....

40Super
03-25-2012, 04:18 PM
Well, I finally got to try a bunch of new bullets with my lube on them. So far after 50rounds fired at around 925fps (6.3gr AA#5),there is no signs of leading. The only thing I am finding is some specks of unburnt AA#5, I think from lube on the bottom of some bullets that I didn't wipe off entirly.My boughten bullets with the same load didn't have it. The bore is now bright and shinny, like a fresh wax job.
I need some sizer dies now to try the .40cal 175grTC and a .452 sizer for my other 2 .45's. By then I will have some 9mm molds from NOE and another one from Magna.Then it's time to ramp up the speed to see how the orange goop handles that.:Fire: