PDA

View Full Version : Trigger work on Marlin Bolt rifles

Jack Stanley
03-18-2012, 10:08 AM
Have any of you worked on the trigger for your Marlin model 880 or similar rifle ? I had the rifle apart yet again after range time the other day and looked at it real well . I even took out the trigger pivot screw and removed the trigger from position . I Looked the part over real well for burrs and very lightly removed those along the side of the trigger and it's holder . After lubing and putting it all together again it still works and doesn't "feel" any different .

What I do see in this particular trigger is that it has a lot of engagement so when one is sighting on a target it seems like the sear takes forever to release . I'm thinking if I can find extremely thin shim stock I could stop some of the engagement and not change the factory setting to much .

A long time ago I was able to clean up the trigger on a Marlin model 25M but that trigger seemed a little more simple than this one . Maybe it just age creeping up on me though and it's the same thing . Anyway , your input on this would be a great help so thanks in advance .

Jack

Olevern
03-21-2012, 06:06 AM
Well, Jack, it seems like our threads are orphaned, so it's time to just take it apart and see what makes it tick. Worst case scenario i take a basket case to the gunsmith and he has to fiind new trigger assembly.

Jack Stanley
03-21-2012, 04:58 PM
That's pretty much how I dive into my gunwork . . Once I get to the point I'm reasonabley sure I can get it back together and be functional , I'll carefully take it apart . I already deburred and relubed my trigger and I think it helped a little . It still has a lot of engagement I think shims might help correct . When I get the time , I'll pull it apart again and see if there might be another way to skin this critter .

The fellas here did come up with usefull ideas about glass bedding in this rifle so I won't count them out just yet . The rifle now shoots groups ALMOST as good as yours , now if I could just fix that trigger ....................

Jack

Shooter6br
03-22-2012, 01:20 AM
You can put a lighter spring in or I bought an after market trigger for my I think 990? (17 HRH) Check Mid South or Midway I think it was a Ballist trigger? 8 oz pull

phaessler
03-24-2012, 07:57 AM
I have Rifle Basix in a few Marlins, the pre 900 series firing systems. They are nice, and give nice control and feel. I find that they can be a bit touchy when adjusting for the trigger pull, it has a direct effect on the bolt removal feature of squeezing the trigger to the bottom to get the bolt out.
Only advice I have is price, they arent cheap for what they are, and I have one model 25 I paid more for the trigger than I did the rifle....

Pete

HBAR2989
03-26-2012, 09:13 PM
I have a 880sq, and 917V. Both of these I put Rifle Basix triggers in them. These made a word of difference. My 25N I was able to clean it up good enough I didn't need to spend the extra cash.

Jack Stanley
03-26-2012, 09:55 PM
I thought about just buying an aftermarket trigger but the price of them scared me off for now . I did a little net snooping and some guys say to replace the trigger spring with the srping from a ink pen .

So with a handful of the wifes pens that she has collected from everywhere I went to the dungeon to perform a little surgery . Upon gutting the secong pen the spring was the right length to do the job . In this case the right length meant being a bit longer than the stock spring . I was able to get it to compress and get the trigger screw returned to where it belonged . I got out the RCBS trigger pull gauge and the pull was at or near three and a half pounds .

On the range it was much better behaved though it still had a lot of takeup before the sear releases . Maybe I can get a feeler gauge in there and see if a shim glued in might work .

Of course there's always an aftermarket trigger if I'd rather spend the money .

Jack

selmerfan
03-26-2012, 10:26 PM
I changed mine out to a pen spring to lighten it up and very carefully stoned it to reduce sear engagement. It's less than 2 lbs. now, crisp as broken glass. Perfect for all of my needs and I don't let people borrow my rifles.

Carolina Cast Bullets
04-13-2012, 11:20 PM
RifleBasix on a 925. Works and works well and is not difficult to install and adjust

Ask me how I know that

jh45gun
04-13-2012, 11:34 PM
Check at the Rimfire Central forum there are threads that are stickies that tell how to do it. I have two Marlin 80s I did it to and both my triggers are in the 2 pound range.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197546

crowbuster
04-14-2012, 09:45 AM
Not sure how i missed this thread. I have a 917vs, love the rifle, hated the trigger. starlings @ 75yrds are not very forgiving. I did a little file work in just the right spot, 2lbs now no creep. Love it, just took a little and tried it, took a couple times as I didnt want to take to much. Just sayin, it worked for me and is safe and cheap.

Jack Stanley
04-14-2012, 10:09 PM
RifleBasix on a 925. Works and works well and is not difficult to install and adjust

Ask me how I know that

OK ..... tell me how you know :smile:

I think Brownells has both the basics and the Jard trigger .

Jack

jh45gun
04-14-2012, 10:32 PM
The Marlin triggers are pretty easy to work on I would go that route before spending money on a replacement trigger. Unless the new ones are vastly different from the old ones.