PDA

View Full Version : Gun Show find; RCBS Loader

StratsMan
03-17-2012, 11:34 PM
Hey all...

Found this today at a local gun show... I didn't steal it, but the seller took far less than he was asking... Question I have is about parts; I have the case feed tubes, but is there supposed to be a primer feeder??? Other than the case tubes, what you see is what I got... Also, is there supposed to be a bullet feeder, or does this require hand feeding bullets through the open port at the seating station??? And the sizing die says "Carbo"... Does that mean it's a carbide die???

And what model is this????

Advice appreciated.... BTW, it's set up for 38's, and has a #2 powder measure in it...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_57234f65574ee356c.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=4473)http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_57234f65575bdb8fc.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=4474)http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_57234f65576bbf7e5.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=4475)

220swiftfn
03-18-2012, 12:03 AM
Nice RCBS Green Machine!!!! Looks like it's missing the shell feeder tubes and primer parts, if it helps HERE'S the manual for it..... As to the sizing die being carbide, don't know, look for the ring......
http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/instructions/FINAL_GREEN_MACHINE.pdf

Dan

knifemaker
03-18-2012, 02:02 AM
If the sizing die has "Carbo" on it, it is a carbide sizing die and no casing lube is needed.

LUBEDUDE
03-18-2012, 02:59 PM
Nice find, StratsMan.

I have always been intriqued with the Green Machine, however I have never seen one in person.

Knifemaker is correct on the die, if you want to double check as 220swiftfn said, look at the bottom of the die, i.e., the hole, and if it looks like a wedding ring was pushed in the bottom of the die, then it is definitely carbide.

Enjoy!

StratsMan
03-18-2012, 09:39 PM
The sizing die definitely has the ring, and you can see CARBO in the photo..... I figgered tha's what it meant...

BTW, I forgot to shout "Thanks" to 220swift.... I grabbed a copy of that pdf... it's already proven itself; there's a powder chart that tells me what weights the powder drop gives with the different powders I may use...

Isaac
03-18-2012, 10:00 PM
Good Grab.

I've read where they can be a pain to keep calibrated/adjusted.

I've never seen one in person, either.

RCBS Customer Service may be able to assist with any parts or informatuion .

Issac

Four Fingers of Death
03-19-2012, 09:19 PM
I picked up a couple from a friend who lost his shooting license. I fiddled with them for awhile, but found out that the guys that had them all FLS'd and primed off the press because the primer system is problematic. They are a grumpy press and are poetry in motion when going properly. If you are notmechanically minded, mannnnnnnnnn, you got the wrong press.

Their owners generally wax lyrical about them, but they all FLS and prime off the press as far as I can see. They were a lot of these in Australia when they came out, they must have done a deal with club armourers, etc as nearly all the club armourers had them.

I ended up selling it because it didn't do as much as my Lee1000, which is finicky, but if kept clean and supervised well, is like a well oiled machine (well, actually it is a well oiled machine, lol).

Even if you don't like it in the end, if you clean it up and get it in fine fettle, you should be able to sell it and more than get your money back. Most old loading presses are spick and span under all of the oil and crud.

They are a very satisfying press when clicking along well.

satchmodog
03-25-2012, 10:03 AM
I received a Green Machine from a customer who got it from a deceased friend. It was a complete unit, save the primer mechanism. After ******* with it trying to use Dillon tubes and having all sorts of issues with powder drops all over the track I decided to "fix" all of the RCBS screw ups. The first thing that had to go was that syinking *** Little Dandy system. Not only is it mechanically improper for this style press, but the cylinders cost ten dollars each. For every new load you work up, you need to drop ten more beans.
Not only was the Dandy in the way of being able to use tube feeders, but it is a press driven system that winds up dumping powder in the case track if a case doesn't move properly. With this press you will sometimes have to open and close the mechanism and move the shells back a station and each time you do, the damn Dandy dumps a load of powder. It's just a stupid design.
So, out came the allen keys, and wrenches and off went the Dandy and all of its mechanisms. Next, the RCBS dies went bye bye and were replaced by a Lee 4 die carbide set. I did like the RCBS seater and combo feeder mechanism, but it interfered with the Lee Auto Disk powder unit I installed. You will also want to keep a can of compressed air handy or use your compressor to keep the tracks and tension springs free of debris.
The press runs like a dream now. I am pretty sure you can use the Lee plastic casing feeder tubes for their progressives. This afternoon i will check to see if they fit and let you know. They are about five or six dollars so it's an easy fix. All together, the Dillon powder tubes and Lee disk system cost 35 dollars on Ebay.

satchmodog
03-25-2012, 10:07 AM
Good Grab.

I've read where they can be a pain to keep calibrated/adjusted.

I've never seen one in person, either.

RCBS Customer Service may be able to assist with any parts or informatuion .

Issac
:takinWiz:
RCBS customer service was nothing but a bunch of dismissive toolbags regarding this press. I didn't call for free parts, all I wanted was technical advice and was treated like ****.

seagiant
03-25-2012, 11:01 AM
Hey Satch,
I have a pretty rough GM orphan on the way and I had to call RCBS on another matter. When I asked about parts and info on the GM you could here them dipping into the Holy Water and making the Sign of the Cross!!!

If you are able to post pics I'd like to see your set up. If I made my own rails do you think I could change calibers???

satchmodog
03-25-2012, 01:31 PM
Hey Satch,
I have a pretty rough GM orphan on the way and I had to call RCBS on another matter. When I asked about parts and info on the GM you could here them dipping into the Holy Water and making the Sign of the Cross!!!

If you are able to post pics I'd like to see your set up. If I made my own rails do you think I could change calibers???

I really think the only thing different between the calibers is the rail and maybe some spring tension.

Here is the one shot I took a few months ago. I set it up on a portable vise table in the corner and it really needs a more sturdy surface.

satchmodog
03-25-2012, 01:38 PM
picture

seagiant
03-25-2012, 02:41 PM
Hi,
Thanks for the info! As I understand it the original GM primer system is working well for you? Your just using primer tubes now instead of the tray??? Thanks!

satchmodog
03-25-2012, 06:07 PM
Hi,
Thanks for the info! As I understand it the original GM primer system is working well for you? Your just using primer tubes now instead of the tray??? Thanks!

The press didn't come with the rotary primer thing. I wound up using my Dillon tube feeder. I guess the rotary tray was quite problematic.

Four Fingers of Death
03-25-2012, 08:07 PM
:takinWiz:
RCBS customer service was nothing but a bunch of dismissive toolbags regarding this press. I didn't call for free parts, all I wanted was technical advice and was treated like ****.

Considering it is a very finicky press and is seriously old, they have probably had many, many unsolveable (over the phone) queries and go into panic mode when you utter the words 'Green Machine.'

Your set up looks neat. How do you prime the cases or do you size/prime off the press?

satchmodog
03-25-2012, 09:38 PM
Considering it is a very finicky press and is seriously old, they have probably had many, many unsolveable (over the phone) queries and go into panic mode when you utter the words 'Green Machine.'

Your set up looks neat. How do you prime the cases or do you size/prime off the press?

The RCBS CS people were downright rude and dismissive, and this wasn't the first time. I have never asked for anything for free, either. Also, since I bought my Rockchucker, I noticed RCBS changed their lifetime warranty to lifetime for the original owner. That is so dishonorable to change policy like that. It's why I went Dillon when it was time to buy a new progressive.

Anyway, about the Green Machine. I did get the internal priming mechanism to work even though the rotary exterior unit was missing. The Dillon primer feed tubes worked like a charm as primer feeders. I just use a wooden dowel shoved down the primer tube that bottoms out when all of the primers are gone, so I know when to add more.
When I first started using it there were some serious issues with the primers crushing and not seating, so I just used two single stage primers to decap and ram prime, but that got tedious. IMO, it's not a progressive if you have to jerk around and do two steps off the press. As I was decapping some brass I noticed something about 38 cases, some have a larger, tapered primer pocket and some have a smaller straight walled pocket. For some reason that is a mystery to me, this press will not seat the primers in the straight walled pocket. The primers just crush, which makes the machine jam. I have to see if there is an adjustment to make, or maybe try CCI or Winchester instead of the Federals tomorrow.

Four Fingers of Death
03-25-2012, 09:54 PM
Thats weird, I must have a look at some of the 38 brass that I have.

seagiant
03-25-2012, 10:13 PM
Hi,
Don't hold me to this,but I think some military and LEO brass have a small crimp? Might be something to look out for? If it is the brass,it's not the machines fault. I also have a CH Auto Champ that I set up in 10MM and I had a learning curve on how VERY precise the priming system had to be set up but now it runs perfect and I can actually "feel" the primer set!

Four Fingers of Death
03-25-2012, 10:59 PM
picture

If you were to use a Lee Riser Kit and a swivel adaptor on that powder measure, it might lift it up enough to allow you to use the RCBS bullet seat die with the window in it.

satchmodog
03-26-2012, 01:36 AM
Hi,
Don't hold me to this,but I think some military and LEO brass have a small crimp? Might be something to look out for? If it is the brass,it's not the machines fault. I also have a CH Auto Champ that I set up in 10MM and I had a learning curve on how VERY precise the priming system had to be set up but now it runs perfect and I can actually "feel" the primer set!

It's the oddest thing, and I never noticed before I started using this anchor. I have a Lee Classic turret and never had an issue setting a primer in a 38. Never had an issue in the Rock Chucker ram primer either. For some reason this press wants to crush the primers and I try to manipulate them as much as possible. But, it never crushes the primers in the cases that appear to have wider, tapered primer pockets. I really do not understand since they seem to glide right in on the other presses.

seagiant
03-26-2012, 10:06 AM
Hi,
Well,one of the worst priming presses I have owned and sold was the Dillon 550B and supposedly according to a lot of people on this forum those loaders were handed down from God!!!

seagiant
03-26-2012, 04:38 PM
Hi,
Here ya go! Notice that this guy is using pre sized and primed brass. You can see where he removed the primer punch from the resize die!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEk4sZwwlEE

Four Fingers of Death
03-26-2012, 11:08 PM
Good onya Seagiant, I just watched that video and then wasted another two hours watching other reloading videos! lol

It wasn't really a waste, I learnt quiet a bit.