PDA

View Full Version : Might have a surce of FREE WW by the 5gal bucketfull..l

letsmeltlead2693
03-17-2012, 06:28 PM
I went to the country today(rural area) and my dad has a sister and her son we went to his house and I asked him if he knew where to get lead. He had a truckload of scrap iron and he said he knew someone that owns a tireshop and he could get me a few buckets full of WW for FREE. Hope I get them soon because I want to have a couple hundred pounds of free lead. It would be free so I won't care if there is zinc and iron weights mixed in and he said he gets buckets of WW all the time. Only problem is he is 70miles away from me but my dad can get them the next time we go to the country. Good source if reliable, even if I only get a 5gal bucket or two, even once from him?

zuke
03-17-2012, 07:08 PM
Get'em while you can!
Especially at that price!

GRUMPA
03-17-2012, 10:10 PM
Stock up on them at that price, heck you could smelt them down and if you have to much let me know....eerrrr....uummmm I mean sell them on the site.

DLCTEX
03-18-2012, 01:16 PM
Absolutely get them while you can.

letsmeltlead2693
03-19-2012, 11:41 PM
Hopefully he will keep his word and is dependable so I can get them.

Norbrat
03-20-2012, 06:15 AM
I wouldn't take advantage of his generosity, as folks get a bit peeved if they feel they are being taken advantage of.

I suggest you give something in exchange, even if it's just a box of donuts.

Photoguy67
03-20-2012, 08:25 AM
I would be willing to help, for a small contribution of a little lead. :)

mold maker
03-20-2012, 11:11 AM
70 miles for a sure 2-3 buckets of free lead is doable. That should be about 300 lbs. If I didn't already have plenty, I'd do it. The time is short, till you'll be glad to get it, at any price. Make it worth his time to save them for you and give Pop some gas. That way everybody wins.
There's one close tire shop, that I stop by at least twice a week. Pizza to the tire guys keeps the WW free and out of Interstate battery guy's hands.

Cowboy T
03-20-2012, 04:03 PM
Heck yeah. Bring him a six-pack or something as a thank-you. Keep him happy.

MikeS
03-21-2012, 04:34 AM
While you're not a boolit caster, but rather just somebody that enjoys melting lead (not that there's anything wrong with that), you should rethink your idea of melting down everything, even if there are zinc weights in the mix. While it wouldn't matter for what you're using the lead for, if you were to want to sell some lead here at a latter date, nobody would want lead that has zinc mixed in it. So, you really should separate out the buckets you get into 4 groups, 1: stick on weights, they're almost pure lead 2: clip on weights that are lead 3: weights that are zinc 4: everything else, there's probably going to be a bunch of trash, cigarette butts, iron weights, valve stems, etc. in the bucket, and this should be discarded. If you keep the zinc separate, you can have some fun with it too! As you've probably noticed already, the old fashioned lead clip on wheel weights are almost a perfect alloy for casting boolits. You might want to consider trading your lead wheel weights (in their original form, not melted into ingots) with members here that might have lead that they don't/can't use (such as lead that has been poisoned with zinc, kills it's use for casting boolits, but shouldn't make a difference for what you want to do). Just a thought.

letsmeltlead2693
03-21-2012, 11:39 AM
I would sort the buckets before I melted the lead. Sorting is always half the fun besides melting the lead.

RU shooter
03-21-2012, 08:09 PM
I wouldn't take advantage of his generosity, as folks get a bit peeved if they feel they are being taken advantage of.

I suggest you give something in exchange, even if it's just a box of donuts. exactly if you do end up getting a bucket full ,Show up bearing gifts like coffee and some snacks of some sort for not just him but his crew also , Dont be cheap 10 bucks or so for 100+ lb. of alloy I'll take that all day long. and The owner and his crew will remember that kid that brought them coffee and donuts ,take an empty bucket with you so they can start filling it

letsmeltlead2693
03-21-2012, 08:24 PM
I might have even another source as I talked to my neighbor and they had some friends over and one guy said that he knows someone that owns a tire shop and there is a 5gal bucket full of used WW. He said he usually can't get in the store but he will try to get the key and when he does he said he will get me some of the WW. I hope he at least gives me 15 pounds as he said he will try to get me some. So I now have 2 extra possible sources.

Benji40
03-25-2012, 02:05 AM
I am in Nashville as well, could I get in on the action? Would gladly pay $15/ bucket. Send a PM if interested. Probably will be nearby soon, daughter's softball team is playing all over MidTN next month.

Regardless of that, great score! keep up the good work.