PDA

View Full Version : looking for .450 Marlin Encopre handgun data

Vance in Ak
03-27-2007, 02:06 PM
Hello all.
This is my first post here, & I hope it's in the right place. If not just let me know.
I picked up a 15" 450 Marlin barrel for my Encore & started playing with it yesterday. Using 370 cast (from Performance Cast) bullets for now.
I'm looking for load suggestions. I started with Varget & I'm at 58.5 gr. It's pleasent to shot & a compressed load, but I'm afraid I'm going to run out of case capacity before I get the velocity I'm hoping for. I'm at 1713 fps & hoping for close to 2000.
I guess H 322 will be next.
Hopefully this will be my barrel for a brown bear hunt coming up in May.
Thanks,
Vance

BABore
03-27-2007, 03:29 PM
H322 and BenchMark are the powders of choice for full house loads. Reloder 7 is not too bad either getting equal velocity at slightly lower pressure. I start with CCI 200 primers and check the extreme spread of velocity. If it's more then 25-30 fps, I switch to Federal 210M match primers. ES will usually drop to single digits.

If you've never reloaded for the 450 Marlin, don't use any 45-70 data. There's a 5-7 grain case capacity difference in favor of the 45-70. The Encore action will easily handle all of the 40 kpsi loads. It will almost handle the 50 kpsi Ruger No. 1 loads, but I doubt they'd be much fun in a handgun length bbl.

Vance in Ak
04-05-2007, 08:35 PM
Sorry it took me so long to say it, but thanks for the info BABore.
Haven't really had a chance to play with it much since I wrote.
Tried some Reloader 7 but the accuracy wasn't as good as the Varget. I'll keep playing.