PDA

View Full Version : Wolff spring kit.

gandydancer
03-16-2012, 11:05 PM
Happy st-paddys day to you all. I am needing help on a wolff spring kit for my Ruger 4.5/8ths 44 special Bisley flattop revolver to lighten trigger pull and hammer cock. any one on here ever use wolff spring kits? any idea what I need? I used to work swinging a 20 Lb sluge hammer many times in a 12 hr day. my hands are badly used up as a result. (I was young and tough but not to smart u all know what I'm talking about.)
any ideas??? GD :drinks:

colonelsanders
03-17-2012, 12:04 AM
I have an 18 pound hammer spring in my 10.5" Ruger SuperBlackhawk Bisley, the reduced power trigger spring (I thing the 40 oz one) and the extra power base pin latch spring.

http://www.gunsprings.com/Revolvers/RUGER/SINGLE%20ACTION%20SERIES/cID3/mID52/dID228

I found it made a big difference to the feel of the gun, but it only got me so far. The gun now has a power customs hammer and trigger. The trigger pull is always 2# and breaks with no creep. I love it in its current conditions and have so far had no misfires.

I might also suggest you try a Bisley hammer, even with my large hands, I found the revolver much easier to cock with the Bisley style hammer.

Just my two cents worth.

gandydancer
03-17-2012, 12:12 AM
colonelsanders. thanks for the info and the website my 44 special is a Bisley(my bad) sounds like what I'm looking for. thanks again. Tom GD

Bwana
03-17-2012, 12:48 AM
You could always do the poor mans trigger job: take one of the trigger spring legs off its peg.

Chamfered
03-17-2012, 01:02 AM
I've used Wolff spring kits in S & W's and had really good luck. It's the first thing I purchase for a fixer up. Check Natchez Shooters, they used to have a decent selection at a good price.

Greg B.
03-17-2012, 04:33 PM
I ordered a Wolff spring kit for a Luger and was very happy with the service and the product.

Greg B.

03-17-2012, 06:15 PM
I installed Wolff springs in a Randall, a S&W 624, and a Blackhawk and am pleased with the results.

I don't know if it's me or the gun, but the Blackhawk's groups got larger after replacing the original, heavier hammer spring. Someday, I'll get round to doing some comparison testing.

+1 on the Poor Man's Trigger Job.

dubber123
03-18-2012, 08:32 AM
I installed Wolff springs in a Randall, a S&W 624, and a Blackhawk and am pleased with the results.

I don't know if it's me or the gun, but the Blackhawk's groups got larger after replacing the original, heavier hammer spring. Someday, I'll get round to doing some comparison testing.

+1 on the Poor Man's Trigger Job.

. It's not you. The Rugers have comparatively slow hammer falls as it is, and a light spring makes it worse, giving you more wiggle time while it's on the way down. I much prefer a full power spring, and a real trigger job to lighten the pull. One of the things the origional poster wanted was a lighter hammer pull though, and he will probably have to go to a light spring to get that.

nicholst55
03-18-2012, 10:30 AM
I much prefer a full power spring, and a real trigger job to lighten the pull.

+1; they always go BANG! that way.

kenyerian
03-18-2012, 10:42 AM
dubber123 is absolutely correct as is nicholst55. Full power hammer spring for safety and accurracy.