PDA

View Full Version : one ragged hole peer site?

Olevern
03-16-2012, 08:14 PM
Anybody here using one of these on a Ruger single six (or other Ruger)?

I visited a gun shop today (not very local, about 100 miles from home) and found something I have been looking for for awhile, a used Ruger single six (blued) in 9 1/2 inch, great shape, factory box and both cylinders, for $339.00.

Reason I have been lookin for one is to put a 2X Leupold on a single six so as I can see to shoot squirrels with these old eyes. I figure if I am gonna load it up with a scope, might as well have the longer barrel, as it will be used with a mono pod in the field and carried in a bandolier type holster.

This gun has a 'one ragged hole' peep site on it.

I am wondering if this site will allow these old eyes to see the sites any better than the factory irons and maybe the scope will not be needed.

I like that it is the blued version, so it is quite a bit lighter than the stainless steel version (S.S. version uses a stainless steel grip frame, vs the blued anodized aluminum)

Anyway, laid it away and won't get it home for several weeks, so I guess I'll check out the peep site then, but meanwhile, anybody here have any experience with "mature" eyes and handgun peeps?

uscra112
03-16-2012, 08:56 PM
I find I can cope with peeps on my rifles where I cannot see open sights to save my soul. But a scope is always much better than a peep. Even a low powered one. I seem to remember that Weaver once made a "zero power" scope for old blind men like us . . . . .

W.R.Buchanan
03-16-2012, 09:18 PM
When I wake up in the morning I cannot read my Alarm Clock's numbers as the clock si about 8 feet away from me. I usually take my finger and make a hole between the thumb and fore finger. This aperature brings the numbers into focus.

A peep sight also assists in brinmging a target into focus.

In Europe there have been numerous "diopter sights" that sue not one but two aperatures whch are calibrated to your specific eyeball perscription.

These sights actually work like optical sights and the reason why is that all lenses do is focus light, and a hoel will do the same thing.

Have you ever heard of a pinhole Camera? I made one out of a Maxwell house coffee can when I was 8. It had a 1/16" hole drilled in the side, and a simple rack made from cardboard to hold the film. It used a piece of electrical tape for the shutter.

Yes, you peeled the tape back to open the shutter, counted to 3 and put the tape back on.

The camera had incredible depth of field, and I got the plans out of Boy's Life magazine.

Aperature sights are far superior to open type sights for the simple reason that you only have to focus on the front sight which is typically in focus due to the aperature you are looking thru.

Randy

TCFAN
03-16-2012, 09:59 PM
I had the One Ragged Hole peep sight on a Ruger 357 blackhawk 4 5/8 inch barrel and a super blackhawk with a 7 1/2 inch barrel. I gave both a fair test for a while and just did not like them at all. They did make the front sight sharper but for me they where harder to use. I put the factory sights back on the 357 and a scope on the 44............Terry

stubshaft
03-17-2012, 03:47 AM
iIRC - There was a thread around here giving instructions on how to make one.

Shuz
03-17-2012, 10:22 AM
I have a "One Ragged Hole" sight on my Ruger KS458N. I would not really call this a peep sight, but rather a largish hole in the rear sight that allows you to "pick up" the front sight rather quickly for hunting situations. As long as you can fairly well center the front sight in this rear hole, the sight works as designed. However, it is in no way anywhere near as precise an aiming device as a stock Ruger sight. I play around with mine a lot, but for me......"the jury is still out" on this device.

For mature eyes,like mine, nothing beats a Merit optical device for target work,...........but they are hard to hunt with! I find that the Hi-Viz type fiber optic front sight and a regular S&W rear sight is ideal for me for hunting!

**oneshot**
03-17-2012, 10:07 PM
I put one on my ruger hunter 22. I really like it so far. I did take it off to try a scope. I am now getting ready to put the "peep" back on. My front sight is a bead type and it really shows up as a dot in the center of the peep.

03-17-2012, 11:19 PM
Got one on my RedHawk. It's better than the standard sights. Got one on a H&R 12 ga w/ painted white front sight. Deer never saw it coming. Put one on my buddy's Ruger BlackHawk .41 mag and during a bear mauling (really bad mauling) he swears it saved his life. Between the mud, the blood and the pain, he found his front sight and centermass'd the bear. At least, give it a shot. You might like it.

sixshot
03-18-2012, 01:09 AM
I sure sell a lot of them.

Dick

Olevern
03-18-2012, 06:39 PM
Thanks, guys, will let you know how I like it.

leadman
03-18-2012, 11:22 PM
I prefer a low power scope but I do have a cheap Chinese copy of the Burris Fast-fire on my 22mag/20ga. Savage that is fast and easy to use. Only weighs a couple of ounces, the scope mount would probably weigh more then the sight.