PDA

View Full Version : Belt buckles

GaryN
03-15-2012, 11:50 PM
I have a few old belt buckles that look like they are pewter but I have no way of telling if they are. I wore them for a long time and the spike finally broke off. I was wondering if anyone knew if belt buckles are made out of pewter. Is it strong enough? I figured I might as well use them to sweeten my wheel weights to make better bullets.

runfiverun
03-16-2012, 02:40 AM
pewter items usually have a stamping or hallmark.

fryboy
03-16-2012, 05:06 AM
usually as noted they do have a stamp/hallmark but .... ( yeah there's a qualifier ) not always , i have to urge caution however as many alloyed metals could/can/will be used , the hallmarked stuff is a no brainer and i've melted a few of them myself , the non-marked stuff should be smelted individually and it's properties duly noted before adding to a valuable pot full of lead , if you have a friend with a analyzer so much the better if not ...( find one lolz ) we're left to the various test ( acid,melting/hardening temp etc etc ) on a odd note in my various travels thru second hand stores pewter marked belt buckles seem to command a premium while various silver plated ( and much heavier ) utensils/serving wares seem to more of a bargian ( of course your mileage and locale may vary in this regard [shrugz] )