PDA

View Full Version : I'll need to hit the Scrounge Trail, again!

Bigjohn
03-27-2007, 03:01 AM
For the last three weeks, I have been on leave and one of the tasks set for myself is to clean out the shed and prepare to build the Reloading Room.

I had happily set forth upon this task when another member of the club dropped by to pick me up for a small job at the range. He passed the comment asking what I had done with ALL the lead ingots which used to be stacked around the shed. I told him they were there under some of the junk I still had to more.

Well, the sad news is what I thought was under the junk,isn't! The horror of the situation has hit home.:(

Over the intervening years, the output has slowly exceeded the input and the stockpile has been shrinking. While I could still find enough metal to cast a 100K or two of cast boolits (depending on boolit weight); it's desperate times.:(

Lead (pb) now at approx 200 kilogarms (440 pounds); Wheelweights 80 kilograms (180 pounds), Linotype 50 kilograms (100 pounds) Range salvage (hard) 1000 kilograms (2200 pounds) and soft 100 kilograms ( 220 pounds) and these are only approximate weights and not counting that which is cast.

I am going to have to get into some serious restocking in case they try to ban lead boolits bigtime.:twisted:

Now that I have unearthed the last of my hidden treasure, I will have to move it to a new storage location which is more visible to myself.

One interesting fact which came out of the re-location of this material is the method of marking the individual metal alloys. Most of the texta markings I have used had faded to such an extent that most are unreadable; so I invested today in a 5/16" letter/number stamp set and plan to make a small hammer type holder for the stamps so I can remark the ingots now and in the future.

So look out; I'm on the scrounge luckily not in your areas but the local plumbers, tyre dealer etc are going to be canvassed hard.:twisted:

:drinks:
John.

dragonrider
03-27-2007, 05:15 PM
good luck.

dubber123
03-27-2007, 07:06 PM
You poor soul! you have 3,140 lbs. of alloy. I am down to maybe 1,000 lbs. of wheelweight, (unprocessed), and 100 lbs. of pure, and I am having a heck of a time coming up with any more. I too am concerned with the banning of lead. I am trying to find a bulk recycler, but no luck thus far.

Nickle
03-28-2007, 09:12 AM
Yeah, I guess I'm just lucky. A good friend dropped me off about 400 plus pounds of Linotype on Friday evening. [smilie=w: :bigsmyl2:

Got about half of it cast into ingots already, had to wait until I got done melting wheel weights on Saturday.

Dubber, we're working on that ban. I know of 2 Rep's (mine) that are going to try to make sure wheel weights and especially bullet casting is exempted.

Have you contacted your local rep's yet?

Bigjohn
03-28-2007, 06:08 PM
A member of my club has by his estimate 900 kilograms (1800 pounds approx.) of linotype at his home in Adelaide. He has said I CAN HAVE IT ALL![smilie=w:

And he said he will deliver it. Please don't wake me up: I dont' want to be dreaming this.[smilie=6:

I will try and get a trailer to Adelaide and give him a hand to transport it down here. I will have to offer him something for it.

Currently, I am moving the rest of the metal into it's new storage space and stamping the mix details onto them.

Have a batch of Wheel weights to smelt into ingots; later this week maybe.

John.

HORNET
03-28-2007, 06:56 PM
Congradulations, John. That much Lino ought to give you some good blending material to touch up some of that other lead. Sounds like you still need to check around tire shops,truck stops, etc though. You could load up real fast raiding those road trains but you better be able to run real fast too. [smilie=1:

Bigjohn
03-28-2007, 11:39 PM
Congradulations, John. That much Lino ought to give you some good blending material to touch up some of that other lead. Sounds like you still need to check around tire shops,truck stops, etc though. You could load up real fast raiding those road trains but you better be able to run real fast too. [smilie=1:

I have become quite adept at picking up feral wheel weights from the roadway but haven't been caught "weightjackin'" yet! [smilie=1:
I've even checked over the target stand bases at the club.:twisted:

I've just had a session in the shed movin', stamping and restacking this metal; starting to looking like ARNIE with a bad beer gut.
:castmine:

The actual stock level does look good but with my affliction I HAVE THE NEED FOR MORE, MORE, more.......................................

John

Bigjohn
04-01-2007, 12:16 AM
Well, It looks like I will be melting metal this week; checked in at one tyre store and collected their WW's and the first of the linotype has arrived.:-D

Supposed to be about 100kg (220 lbs) per box but I don't know but who cares it is material which is back in the casting circuit again.:)

I am hoping the collect the balance of the lino myself in a few weeks, until then I have enough to keep me busy.

:drinks:

John.