PDA

View Full Version : Mosin help

Jamesconn
03-15-2012, 10:26 PM
Well I'm kind of low on money and I need a good bolt gun that I won't worry if it gets scratches.

I want a mosin nagant 91/30 with the bayonet and all the goodies hex reciever I most of the places I go online are out of stock or $30-40 more expensive I'm not afraid to spend more money so I don't get a ***, but I don't want to get ripped off I am not going to buy it locally as I don't like any of the local people the gunshow has none and what they do have is a huge ripoff. I checked cabelas and they are charging $150
I can buy from cabelas bass pro or any stores in San Antonio. My maximum price for one in good condition with all the stuff is $120 I want to put a scope on it so I'll have to buy a special bolt I'm still wonderin if I should swap out stocks for a synthetic and put a bipod and a sling.

WineMan
03-15-2012, 10:52 PM
The Hex receivers were done pre WW2 and have better QC and machining, however they also tended to be used in WW2 so bores might be less than perfect. Receivers dated in the 1940's are rougher but the bores tend to be much nicer. The triggers are usually rough and creepy but can be modified (Google helps) and the safety it a non starter in my mind.

Look for ones that have the screw holes plugged on the left side of the receiver. They were rifles selected for sniper duty and returned to regular issue. There is still plenty of surplus ammo available, it has corrosive primers so be sure to clean the bore and bolt accordingly (GI bore cleaner, or Windex and then your favorite cleaner, or a good douche of hot water then your favorite cleaner).

A piece of insulation from 14 gauge wire on the front sight post can raise it up and lower your POI.

You may need to put the bayonet in a vice and pry the part the goes over the barrel apart a bit more. The Russians were not supposed to remove it and they can be hard to put on and off if left stock.

Still a great deal, they can be very accurate. If you shoot cast, slug the bore. I have a Hex Tula 1936 that came back from Spain (Spanish Civil War) that is 304x314 with plenty of throat erosion. It likes 0.316 cast but they barely fit in the throat.

Wineman

ilcop22
03-15-2012, 10:56 PM
$79-89 online, plus shipping, plus transfer fee + the time it takes to clean one to shootable condition = about as much as buying one from a store.

Buy one from the store.

ilcop22
03-15-2012, 10:59 PM
Also, you can just use the normal stock and bolt with some minor fitting using this kit:

http://www.atigunstocks.com/accessories-and-parts/182-mosin-nagant-scope-mount-with-bolt-handle.html

Hardcast416taylor
03-16-2012, 01:03 PM
Don`t know if you have a Dunham`s Sporting goods stores in Tx, they advertise MN 91/30 round recievors for sale with all the extra goodies for $90 every week in there store flyer.Robert

Pigslayer
03-16-2012, 06:51 PM
I have two Mosins. A 1942 & a 1939. The 1939 has a far nicer finish & had a very shiney bore upon purchase. The 1942 bore took a lot of cleaning but the bore is now shiney bright! I use Hornaday .312 150gr. SP in the 1942 and it's a tack driver. I have a custom molf from Tom@Accurate that I'm going to be using in the 1939. Both bores slugged .313. Attached is a picture of a 3 shot group w/the 1942. I gave $84.00 + tax for the 1942 & $149.00 + tax for the 1939. Either way it's worth the money. They really are good shooters and would make one heck of a deer rifle. Some complain about their recoil but I'm not bothered with it. It's the 7MM Rem. Mag. that throws me around.
I purchased a PU scope mount from Accumounts.com to put on the 1939. Only I ordered it with 1" rings so I could mount the scope of my choice. Accumounts did a real nice job on their reproduction PU mount. See attached.

buck1
03-18-2012, 06:08 PM
ATI makes a scope mount, but drilling is required. Also the bolt can be bent for about 50$. Had mine done by a guy on flea bay. He did a nice job.

But a word of caution. I bought a Mosin, then a stock, then a scope mt, then had the bolt bent, then I got a trigger. For what I spent I could have bought a nice used comerical rifle. Just a heads up....Buck

nicholst55
03-18-2012, 08:20 PM
I bought a very nice hex-receiver Mosin from Classic Arms (http://www.classicfirearms.co/firearms.htm)a few years ago; they currently have round-receiver rifles in stock at a reasonable price ($89-99). You won't go wrong if you order from them.

J&G Sales (http://www.jgsales.com/mosin-nagant-91-30-round-receiver-rifle,-7.62x54r-caliber.-p-1041.html) also advertises them as in-stock for $89; I bought another wartime produced (1942) Mosin from them that was in outstanding condition, despite being of rather crude manufacture.

garym1a2
03-18-2012, 08:20 PM
Keep in mind surplus ammo is fairly cheap but reloadable brass is rather hard to find and expensive.

plmitch
03-18-2012, 08:37 PM
I bought two from a Big5 store a while back for, if I recall $89.00 each. Both are in great shape, very nice bores.

buck1
03-19-2012, 01:06 PM
Yes Big5 often runs them for about $100.00 . But you have to watch for the sales.

Rio Grande
03-19-2012, 03:39 PM
Another vote for Classic Arms.
I ordered from them once and was very pleased. Right now they are listing some real good round AND hex rifles. I'd get the hex, but either one is good.
Matter of fact, I am considering buying one myself.
Go down to the bottom of the "C and R" section.... you can still order w/o a C and R, just go thru your dealer.
Or hit the gun shows!

JeffHolt
03-19-2012, 04:20 PM
Another vote for wwwclassicfirearms.com.
I bought a very nice 1933 tula hex- all matching numbers including the bayonet.
Paid the extra 10.00 for a hand select strong bore light trigger.

If you mount the bayonet, use a little soap before you twist it tight, it can be a real bugger to remove withourt marring the bluing.

nicholst55
03-19-2012, 07:54 PM
Keep in mind surplus ammo is fairly cheap but reloadable brass is rather hard to find and expensive.

As of Sunday, Brassman Brass had some once-fired Winchester brass in stock for $40.00 per hundred, shipped.

Josh Smith
03-19-2012, 09:35 PM
As of Sunday, Brassman Brass had some once-fired Winchester brass in stock for $40.00 per hundred, shipped.

This is very good to know; thank you!

I usually get my brass from folks on this and other boards. I find that a lot fire factory ammo but don't worry about handloading.

I have several hundred I need to condition and reload now that shooting season is in full swing!

I find if I neck size only, the brass lasts practically forever, too!

Just a few things to think about when handloading...

Regards,

Josh

plmitch
03-19-2012, 10:17 PM

Nice tip there.