PDA

View Full Version : Dillon 550 Head

LEADHOPPER
03-15-2012, 10:17 PM
Had a little free time on my hands so I decided to make a couple heads for my Dillon 550. Don't really like the fit of the factory heads and they flop around a lot when loading ammo. Here are a couple pictures on the first one that I made. I added heli-coils to where the pins are suppose to go, so I can use a 5-40 screw to secure the head. I have done this to a few of the factory heads that I have and it made a word or difference, as far as the head flopping around. I also tightened up the fit all around, so they are better fit. I made the head out of some 7050 aluminum that I had laying around.

42205 42206

42207 42208

LEADHOPPER

leftiye
03-15-2012, 10:59 PM
They look really nice to me.

ph4570
03-15-2012, 11:43 PM
Wow -- that is good work.

Buckshot
03-16-2012, 12:20 AM
.............Purdy! [smilie=l: Good clean work there.

,,,,,,,,,,,,Buckshot

HotGuns
03-16-2012, 01:45 AM
Good job!

I've made about 25 of them. I used 6061 T6. They work well.

nicholst55
03-16-2012, 03:20 AM
Very nice work! Someone sells custom-made Dillon toolheads that are very similar to those. I have their site bookmarked, somewhere...

Maybe it was these (http://www.whiddengunworks.net/toolhead.html). I see where they're a 'floating' design, so maybe they're not so similar to the OP's design.

ETA: Nope, it was these (http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1333), also made by Whidden.

LEADHOPPER
03-16-2012, 05:19 AM
nicholst55,

Yes I ran across that site also. Just couldn't seeing dropping $26 plus shipping for something that I could make myself. And as must machinist you always try to find ways to improve on what you already have. As far as the heli-coil's go I found them at Grainger on clearance for like $10 for the entire kit. I had to do some modifying to the collar for the install tool to get it to work like I needed it to. But I want to say they were originally like $55-60 range. So, if anyone wants to add heli-coils to the factory head that is the cheapest place to get heli-coils.

LH

Four Fingers of Death
10-03-2012, 06:20 AM
I haven't got a Dillon, but was curious and checked ot the thread.

I always thought it was desirable in progressive machines to have a bit of movement so that the brass can find the die rather than being forced into it.

Good looking workmanship though, well done.

Ozarklongshot
10-05-2012, 08:57 PM
I have 2 550's and did buy some CNC ones on fleabay. Some worked OK, others had slop. I want my Toolheads locked in solidly. When your running 4 steps at once you need everything to stay put. If the toolhead moves on one side due to bad pin location you're getting and angular discrepancy on a horizontal plane. If the slop is on the operator side pin you end up with a lot of damaged brass on station one.
Start perfect=end perfect

I do have 4 of the whidden ones and they are rock solid and much better than the dillon hollow ones.

Just my 2cents

yarro
10-07-2012, 12:11 PM
I find that too loose heads on my 650 caused brass to get smashed when going fast. I tightened them up and very rarely do I crumple cases any more. There is already some slop in the shell plate so don't see why you would need any up top.

-yarro

DRNurse1
11-23-2012, 06:49 AM
Any chance of talking this Whidden guy into a vendor-sponsor status. Some of us are not machinists by trade or hobby and Whidden might find an additional source of business here.

BTW, does Dillon hold a patent or has it expired?

Just thinkin', and this is usually closely followed by a trip to the local emergency room.

Very nice work! Someone sells custom-made Dillon toolheads that are very similar to those. I have their site bookmarked, somewhere...

Maybe it was these (http://www.whiddengunworks.net/toolhead.html). I see where they're a 'floating' design, so maybe they're not so similar to the OP's design.

ETA: Nope, it was these (http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1333), also made by Whidden.

ROGER4314
11-27-2012, 12:24 PM
A part like that is a thing of beauty to me! Installing Helicoils in the die threads is a nice touch, too!

I have 2 RL550's and have 11 tool holders set up for different cartridges. I know first hand how those heads are valued! Nice job!

Flash

ROGER4314
11-27-2012, 12:36 PM
I had another thought. Dillon supplies a special tool to align the shellplate platform (#13781). The two Allen head bolts that secure that part have generous sized holes so the platform can be adjusted. The tool is used by placing a powder die in position #1 and sliding the tool inside. It lines up with the primer seating hole. It has two fits....loose and final and the adjustment is critical. If you're having trouble with squashed cases or have ever loosened the two Allen head fasteners, you might try realigning the platform, too. I'll attach a pic of the tool.

Flash

hicard
11-28-2012, 01:36 PM
Will you be selling the alignment tool also, how much?

sparky45
11-28-2012, 01:53 PM
Just ask Dillon about the alignment tool, they sent me one for free.

Bren R.
11-28-2012, 02:09 PM
Just ask Dillon about the alignment tool, they sent me one for free.
They threw one in for me when I first got my 550 and my large priming assembly was fused together - even with the set screw out, the anvil wouldn't drop free, must have been slightly upset internally... sent out a whole new assembly (cup, anvil, arm) and the alignment tool was in there as well. A lot less kinked primers since I aligned the platform.

Bren R.

Randy C
12-18-2012, 05:12 PM
LEADHOPER I have a quick question if you were going to by two presses again would you by 2 550's again or 2 650's? I am happy doing them 1 at a time but I am going to by 2 presses I have family that shoots a lot of hand gun cal. they are retired so I don’t think they care about bragging rights on how fast they reload. They will probably use the lee Dies from the old press. It sounds like they both have alearning and tune up curve to them. PS I can buy local if I buy the 550’s
Thank you Randy