PDA

View Full Version : Question - Different Barrel Lengths

JohnnyFlake
03-15-2012, 07:31 PM
With the .357 Mag, .44 Mag and .45 Colt lever guns, is there any real, noticeable difference in accuracy and effective killing range (Sm, Md size game) between an 18"/20" lever gun and a 24" lever gun?

largom
03-15-2012, 07:44 PM
Longer barrel has longer sight radius, thus more accurate for some.

Larry

6pt-sika
03-15-2012, 08:13 PM
This doesn't quite fit your question however I'll say it anyway .

I recently clocked several different 444 cast loads in a 19" barreled rifle and a 24 " barreled rifle .

Shot 240 , 265 , 300 , 350 and 375 grainers both guns were the slower twist with Micro Groove rifling . And the average difference between the two lengths of all those different weight bullets averaged about 250 FPS . One load had a difference of about 150 for the low another had a high of a bit over 300 FPS . But most stayed right around 250 FPS difference for the same bullet and load in the two different length barrels .

6pt-sika
03-15-2012, 08:14 PM
Longer barrel has longer sight radius, thus more accurate for some.

Larry

Thats quite true if one is using iron or peep sights , but if you're using a scope it's a non-issue .

flounderman
03-15-2012, 09:02 PM
you lose about 50 fps per inch of barrel. heavier bullets hit harder than lite bullets. I don't think you would see enough velocity difference in the 3 calibers you mentioned that you could drive a lighter bullet enough faster than a heavy one to equal the killing power of the heavier bullet. none of them are considered long range calibers. energy is weight times velocity and the effectiveness of the pistol calibers increases with the meplat area. the flatter the nose is, the more impact with the big slow bullets.

btroj
03-15-2012, 10:20 PM
I don't think in terms of velocity. I think in terms of handling.
I like the barrel length on the Marlin 1895g over that of the guide guns. The cowboy was too much of a good thing to me.
I love the barrel length on my 1804 CB in 45 Colt. Abput ideal from a handling point of view.
I hate the short barrel on the Marlin 189c but it is all they make so I put up with it.

Again, handling far outweighs anything else. I then go with what looks right to me. Velocity is not really ever a factor.

jblee10
03-15-2012, 10:30 PM
Another point is that shorter barrels generally are more accurate. Barrel stiffness and whip, etc. But sight radius is a factor also. Handling can be an individuals preference. I started shooting long barrels with iron sights. I still like medium length barrels, with optics.

JohnnyFlake
03-15-2012, 11:05 PM
This doesn't quite fit your question however I'll say it anyway .

I recently clocked several different 444 cast loads in a 19" barreled rifle and a 24 " barreled rifle .

Shot 240 , 265 , 300 , 350 and 375 grainers both guns were the slower twist with Micro Groove rifling . And the average difference between the two lengths of all those different weight bullets averaged about 250 FPS . One load had a difference of about 150 for the low another had a high of a bit over 300 FPS . But most stayed right around 250 FPS difference for the same bullet and load in the two different length barrels .

This information is interesting, however, unless I am missing something in your explanation, I am not sure if your telling me that the bullets were that much faster out of the 24" barrel than the 19" barrel, or that much slower.

northmn
03-19-2012, 11:15 AM
Velocity depends somewaht on the powder used and bullet weight and so forth. Some of the pistol calibers do not have any significant loss over 20" like a rifle caliber. A 25 fps per inch rule of thumb, might be more appropriate for these calibers, even with "slower" burning powders, for a pistol caliber like 2400 or 296. The differences are less with heavier bullets like a 300 grain in a 44 or 45. These rifles in these cartridges are designed for mostly short range use and the differences will not matter at the range they should be used. If you need to shoot at longer ranges a rifle caliber should be used as that is what they were designed to do. Pistol bullets are not all that ballistically effiecient for velocity retention, even the heavier 300 grain bullets. A 38-55 250 grain bullet can start quite a bit slower than the same weight bullet in a 44-45 but at 100 yards will be moving as fast. Long range BPC shooters use heavy bullets like 500+ grains in a 45-70 for a reason.
Pistol caliber rifles are great for their appropriate use.

DP

Larry Gibson
03-19-2012, 11:21 AM
If you like to use iron sights on a lever action then the longer barrel will be more inherently accurate because of the longer sight radius. The longer sight radius also help keep the front sight in focus the older you get. As already mentione there is usually a 200 - 250 fps difference between a "carbine" and a "rifel" of the same cartridge. This can extend the effective range because of the velocity or the killing power available if you need it. Personally I appreciate the longer barrels and never really found the shorter barreled rifles to be "handier" either in carrying or handling.

Larry Gibson

btroj
03-19-2012, 08:19 PM
I am with Larry, the shorter barrel isn't "handier" to me. My favorite gun for walking the woods during deer season is a Marlin cowboy with a 24 inch barrel.

I can say that as I approach 50 I sure like having the front sight farther away. The short barrel Marlin puts on a 1894c in 357 is horrible that way.

northmn
03-20-2012, 12:48 PM
Getting back to the barrel length issue. There are some that say that using faster burning powders can create a situation in which the added friction in the longer barrel overcomes the thrust of the powder that is alreaady burnt up such that there is no real gain. Sitka's 444 uses a slower burning powder like 3031 or 4895 and quite a bit of it, where a pistol load may only use a few grains of a faster powder like Bullseye or 231. Velocity loss at 50 fps per inch generally applies to rilfes like the 30-06 for example. I have a 24 inch 30-30 that probably gains about 100-150 fps over a carbine.
In other words it depends on what you are loading for the rifles. As to handling, I prefer the 24" barrels.

DP

BAGTIC
03-21-2012, 06:17 PM
Velocity, even with fast burning powders, will not begin to drop until 30 inches or more.

I like longer barrels because I do not scope lever actions. I shoot them the way God created them.

My experience is the longer barrels are steadier especially on running targets. Also, I like a quiet gun and even a few more inches can have noticeable effect on the report.

As for being handy most hunters go places with shotguns much longer than LA rifles without ever feeling handicapped. It has just become fashionable over the years to complain.