PDA

View Full Version : talk me out of it

dnepr
03-15-2012, 06:12 PM
I have been bitten by the steyr bug , will probably be ordering a M/95 in 8x56r this weekend , I have done some research , the triggers are apparently lousy, they kick like a mule , they have a odd bore / groove dimensions , none of this has been deterent enough for me to run away from these rifles like a sane man would:veryconfu
Is there any other negatives of these rifles that will convince me to save my money and walk away :):)

Me not you
03-15-2012, 06:26 PM
The other major "negatives are:
- They shoot well
- They're light and handy
- It's a potent cartridge
- Fast cycling action
- Easy, reliable loading and feeding

All together, it's my favorite utility rifle now. ;)

Have you been suitably discouraged? :mrgreen:

stubshaft
03-15-2012, 06:57 PM
The other major "negatives are:
- They shoot well
- They're light and handy
- It's a potent cartridge
- Fast cycling action
- Easy, reliable loading and feeding

All together, it's my favorite utility rifle now. ;)

Have you been suitably discouraged? :mrgreen:

:2 drunk buddies:You shouldn't come to this site with the intention of having anyone talk you out of something. It's like an alcoholic going to a liquor store and asking for advise about quitting drinking.:bigsmyl2:

leadman
03-15-2012, 07:20 PM
Oh, if you lose the clips it is a single shot.

zuke
03-15-2012, 07:30 PM
Get a Ross Rifle, easier to reload for a a lot stronger action.

WineMan
03-15-2012, 11:05 PM
Workmanship is second to none. To produce this rifle today would cost you $1,000.

The triggers are not bad for a rifle that was not supposed to go off in the hands of a nervous soldier. The safety is great (Mosins pay attention).

Kicks with full loads, what are you going to use all that reloading gear for? Get a nice 0.338 mould and size to 0.325 or so, no biggie. Or use SR4759 at 25 grains +/- and 0.323 jacketed bullets.

If you are worried about the en-bloc clip, put a piece of electrician's tape over the bottom of the mag well. It will not fall out when it is empty.

The final straw: Hornaday makes ammo for these little jewels!

Hey get two or three, like I have.

Wineman

TreeKiller
03-15-2012, 11:54 PM
Do not forget to order order one of these.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=137196

I thought I saw that NOE was making this mold with no hollow point .

Dan

dnepr
03-16-2012, 07:15 PM
I tried to get the better half to kill the idea and even she said go for it . what is a guy to do:lol::roll:

Uncle Grinch
03-16-2012, 08:48 PM
I tried to get the better half to kill the idea and even she said go for it . what is a guy to do:lol::roll:

Just do it!!

Jack Stanley
03-17-2012, 07:58 AM

Do???? :shock:That is simple order five of them .

Jack

Ed in North Texas
03-17-2012, 10:14 AM
Get a Ross Rifle, easier to reload for a a lot stronger action.

"When compared to the M-95 series rifles, the Ross is somewhat more difficult to find in the US today." would be a stupendous understatement.

That being said, get both!

Ed

dnepr
03-17-2012, 05:57 PM
Just do it!!

OK done lol rifle will be on it's way from B.C. to this Northwestern Ontario boy monday, it is coming with a couple enbloc clips , and I have ordered 100 privi brass and some J words , Now I have to figure out who in Canada handles the lee dies ( or order right from lee if they still ship to Canada ) and figure out what mould or moulds I will try , I guess I better shoot for a little overtime next week[smilie=l:

keyhole
03-17-2012, 07:00 PM
I have the full size rifle and even that kicks hard with military surplus ammo. To save my shoulder I bought the Lee stock item mold specifically designed for this cartridge. Sized to .329 using the Lee sizing die, Alox, and a moderate charge of Accurate 5744 I get accuracy on par with military j-word ammo. This was all done before I read that the Lee .329 bullet was probably too small for groove diameter for many rifles. So, ignorance was bliss for me. I have been very happy with this setup.

As far as negatives, you will probably get questioned by people at your range as to what the heck you are shooting.

Good luck

Keyhole

zuke
03-17-2012, 07:24 PM
OK done lol rifle will be on it's way from B.C. to this Northwestern Ontario boy monday, it is coming with a couple enbloc clips , and I have ordered 100 privi brass and some J words , Now I have to figure out who in Canada handles the lee dies ( or order right from lee if they still ship to Canada ) and figure out what mould or moulds I will try , I guess I better shoot for a little overtime next week[smilie=l:

Order from here,

http://factorysales.com/index.html

Shipping's a bit on the pricy side so make it worthwhile.
Have you called EPP's to see if they have it?
There's also

http://higginsonpowders.com/

Ed in North Texas
03-17-2012, 07:54 PM

Good on you. You might check with Graf's (a sponsor of this site) to see whether they will ship to you, and what the shipping would be (I'm guessing their regular charge won't apply to Ont.). Good shooting and enjoy the rifle.

Ed

historicfirearms
03-19-2012, 07:15 AM
Let us know how you like the new rifle. I too have been drawn to these recently. My best friend and I are huge military gun nuts. While at a gunshow a couple weekends ago I picked one up and started drooling on it. My buddy saw that look in my eye and took the rifle from me and put it back on the table. Good thing, because it saved me some money that weekend that I really couldn't afford to spend. I'll just have to order one from AIM when they get some in.

adrians
03-21-2012, 07:51 AM
load light ,,, unless you like dislocated shoulders,,[smilie=l:
i love mine :evil::bigsmyl2::twisted:

ajjohns
03-21-2012, 07:57 AM
Any opportunity like that and it's hard to pass one up. You won't be disappointed. Light, handy, and powerful. Like stated above, a rifle produced like that nowadays would be a grand - maybe more!

Wayne Smith
03-22-2012, 04:57 PM
Definitely get the Oldfeller Frankenstein mold and don't worry about trying to struggle to make the Lee fit your rifle. It won't. At best it is a second choice, and not a particularly good one. Unless you are very lucky and get one of the few .429" bores, and your odds aren't good!

koehn,jim
03-22-2012, 07:13 PM
If you want it and can afford it why not get it. If the wife said get it she must feel you deserve it why argue.

historicfirearms
03-26-2012, 07:45 AM
I broke down and bought a Steyr M95 at the gunshow this weekend. $100 for an excellent condition model. The bore has a little pitting after I got it home and cleaned it up, not sure how it is going to shoot cast. Anyone tried any of the 1938 German made ammo? I might buy a couple of boxes to get the clips from them.

keyhole
03-26-2012, 08:52 AM
Anyone tried any of the 1938 German made ammo? I might buy a couple of boxes to get the clips from them.

I shot several hundred rounds through the rifle version of the M95. Assuming yours is the carbine, you will definitely know when it goes off. It is the hardest-kicking military rifle/military ammo combination I have fired.

After firing, treat it as corrosive and clean appropriately. I have seen some information that the primers were non-corrosive but I don't bellieve this, based on my experience.

Me not you
03-26-2012, 06:02 PM
Most of the chronograph numbers I've seen for surplus in the carbine run around 2300 fps. Some runs at 2400fps. In either case recoil would be rough with a 208gr bullet.

keyhole
03-26-2012, 09:01 PM
Most of the chronograph numbers I've seen for surplus in the carbine run around 2300 fps. Some runs at 2400fps. In either case recoil would be rough with a 208gr bullet.

1938 Nazi-marked ammo chronographed 2425 out of my rifle (not carbine). amazingly low standard deviation- about 8 fps
total agreement on the rough recoil comment

dnepr
03-27-2012, 05:46 PM
ok it has arrived and I am glad that you guy's failed to talk me out of it [smilie=l:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=713&pictureid=5198 http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=713&pictureid=5197

dnepr
03-27-2012, 05:48 PM
1938 Nazi-marked ammo chronographed 2425 out of my rifle (not carbine). amazingly low standard deviation- about 8 fps
total agreement on the rough recoil comment

does anyone know what the Nazi marked milsurp will clock out of a carbine ?

wallenba
03-27-2012, 05:58 PM
Never hand feed, always use the magazine clip-bloc. Or you will break the extractor eventually. They are made of unobtainium.

dnepr
03-27-2012, 06:17 PM
Never hand feed, always use the magazine clip-bloc. Or you will break the extractor eventually. They are made of unobtainium.

thanks , luckily I have 2 clips , hope to get a few more

Four Fingers of Death
03-28-2012, 06:14 AM
I am trying to talk myself out of getting one at the moment. It is in great condition, nice bore and has several rounds of ammo all in clips. I have 20 odd milsup rifles and am flatout getting to shoot them as it is.

I keep tellign myself to stick with my Ross and my K31.

sav300
03-28-2012, 07:30 AM
Mike,you are not going to win!
Hows life?

Four Fingers of Death
03-28-2012, 08:45 AM
The rifle is up your way Lionel, lol. At the tractor place in Cessnock.

Going ok except for a heavy chest cold. I will pop in next time I'm up your way. I was up that way recently, but ran out of time. I should stop over, have a few beers and help you solve the problems of the world!

ajjohns
03-28-2012, 01:37 PM
See dnepr, getting that rifle in your hands didn't hurt so much did it? Looks good!

Beekeeper
03-28-2012, 03:07 PM
Now you have gone and done it!
You know if you shoot it and put it back in the safe it will multiply don't you.
OH thats right none of these M95 owners told you that did they

I started with only one and now have 5.
They all like to be fed and are complaining about no more room to multiply!
Mine like the .338 old feller boolit and with it become excellent shooters but will give you a sore shoulder real quick if you do not hold it tight on the shoulder.

Enjoy it as it is a great rifle ,I don't care what anyone says, I like mine.

beekeeper

dnepr
03-28-2012, 06:17 PM
Now you have gone and done it!
You know if you shoot it and put it back in the safe it will multiply don't you.
OH thats right none of these M95 owners told you that did they

I started with only one and now have 5.
They all like to be fed and are complaining about no more room to multiply!
Mine like the .338 old feller boolit and with it become excellent shooters but will give you a sore shoulder real quick if you do not hold it tight on the shoulder.

Enjoy it as it is a great rifle ,I don't care what anyone says, I like mine.

beekeeper

with my ecletic collection of rifles I might be a little afraid if they started reproducing in the gun safes , might be time to start segregating the milsurps from the levers, and put the rest in a third cabinet l:rolleyes:

wallenba
03-30-2012, 11:30 PM
with my ecletic collection of rifles I might be a little afraid if they started reproducing in the gun safes , might be time to start segregating the milsurps from the levers, and put the rest in a third cabinet l:rolleyes:

I think that's how the Rossi Circuit Judge was born. [smilie=s:

historicfirearms
03-31-2012, 06:39 AM
Yesterday I shot some 1939 date Nazi marked ammo out of my new m95 carbine. I didn't think recoil was too bad, much less than a Russian m44! Accuracy was pretty good too, great 73 year old ammo.

dnepr
03-31-2012, 11:47 AM
I think that's how the Rossi Circuit Judge was born. [smilie=s:

:D:D ya probably , now if the Styer and one of the levers got friendly in there and a Winchester 1895 in 8x56r was the the product I would be playing mood music and adding soft light to the inside of the gun cabinets :kidding:

MtGun44
03-31-2012, 03:07 PM
You must be kidding!

This is like walking into a bar and asking for help stopping drinking! :bigsmyl2:

Bill