PDA

View Full Version : source for graphite

GREENCOUNTYPETE
03-15-2012, 03:55 PM
I know some of you use graphite to add in with buck shot or to lube shot and some other things

i noticed a inexpensive supply of powdered graphite about 6 dollars the pound and a pound is over a quart container of graphite

i looked at the big jug of it at the farm store and thought well of course they would makes perfect sense

seed lube for automatic planters

oneokie
03-15-2012, 07:18 PM
Been around for years. Since they came out with air and vaccum planters.

If one wants some sticky graphite, look for "Slip Plate" in the farm stores.

OBIII
03-15-2012, 07:26 PM
#2 Pencils? Flux material and graphite and boolit cleaner all in one?

[smilie=w:

JeffinNZ
03-15-2012, 07:46 PM
Good thinking. I got a couple of pounds from a carbon brush cutting company.

Bert2368
03-15-2012, 07:54 PM
Locksmiths. Used to use it as a non sticky lube-

shaune509
03-15-2012, 08:16 PM
Have 2/3 40gal drum of fine graphite would like to sell. Only drawback is that the smaller containers and shipping, worth more than the graphite. Not sure PO would like even heavy double baging, as a rip would be a 'BAD' mess. HazMat? Any ideas as how I could make this a win win for me and the buyers?
Shaune509

oneokie
03-15-2012, 08:21 PM
Plastic soda bottles.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
03-16-2012, 03:54 PM
or plastic peanut butter jars washed out and dry , with a wrap of duct tape to make sure the lid can't come off

it is about as inert as materials get , just a real mess to clean up if it was a health hazard that chunk of graphite that has been in my hand since high school drafting would have caused a problem it has been there about 18 years now.

come to think of it the sharpeners for the drafting leads would be a source of it also wonder it their is a difference in lube between HB and H4

GREENCOUNTYPETE
03-16-2012, 04:03 PM
we had used it as a dry lube for a long time but i always got the small tube of it from the hardware store , seeing it in a quart or larger container for what i had paid for 4 oz of it in a little bottle at the hardware store just got me thinking

shaune509
03-16-2012, 07:10 PM
Family does not drink much soda from 2liter bottles, and that is a lot of PB&J's. Great ideas, just not workable at this time. The graphite may be inert but "ANY" spill could be / would be traced back to sender and with the powers to be thinking that they are GOD, I could end up in Levenworth after all the diferent agencies [EPA, DOT, USPS, etc] got done with me.
Shaune509