PDA

View Full Version : Corbin S press

Roundnoser
03-15-2012, 01:06 PM
I am thinking seriously about swaging. Since I already cast bullets, its just the next logical step in the creative process of making bullets and launching them!

I know that I can use an RC or similar press to get started, but like everthing else, I prefer to go overboard! Corbin has an S press (CSP-1), I checked out the other day on their website. What information do you have that would be helpful if I were interested in buying one.

Is it a good press for the money? What are its advantages / disadvantages? Etc. -- Thanks.

Red River Rick
03-15-2012, 01:09 PM
I prefer to go overboard! Corbin has an S press, .

Then buy yourself the CHP-1 with the "H" style dies and you'll be set for life!

RRR

Reload3006
03-15-2012, 02:12 PM
Were I you (I did) I would check out RCE and get a Walnut hill press for less money and a better press IMO. The Mega Might CSP2 is a monster and would do anything you want done but the dies for it is exorbitantly expensive. Walnut hill is between the two and R Corbin designed all 3

Smokin7mm
03-15-2012, 02:44 PM
I have to agree with Reload3006. I have had a Walnut Hill press for going on 12 years now and it is still going strong. I swage for 22, 6mm, 6.5mm, 270, & 7mm. All my equipment is RCE and have had great service from Richard.
Bret

shooterg
03-15-2012, 02:53 PM
Dies are the real investment. Good set of dies cost at least as much as the press. A used CSP press went for almost $500 on the site that must not be named just last week. I got a used one years ago for half that and I'm happy with it, but that Walnut Hill looks good ! Blackmon made the dies I use in the Corbin press. Glad to see some other folks making dies now, 'cause the Corbins/et al ain't getting younger !

Roundnoser
03-15-2012, 03:29 PM
Dies are the real investment. Good set of dies cost at least as much as the press. A used CSP press went for almost $500 on the site that must not be named just last week. I got a used one years ago for half that and I'm happy with it, but that Walnut Hill looks good ! Blackmon made the dies I use in the Corbin press. Glad to see some other folks making dies now, 'cause the Corbins/et al ain't getting younger !

Shooterg / reloader3006,

I checked out that website, and noticed 2 presses: SeaGirt and the Walnut Hill. Is the WH a better press than the SG? I assume they will take dies with standard threading and punches? -- My primary use for swaging is jacketed pistol bullets (9mm to 44 mag).

Reload3006
03-15-2012, 05:41 PM
The walnut hill you can reload with the sea girt is a swage press only. the Walnut hill press with a reloading adapter give you a slotted ram and the top bushing is 7/8-14 as is the thread in the ram.

MIBULLETS
03-15-2012, 08:27 PM
+1 on the Walnut Hill press. I don't own one but I do own the Corbin S Press. The S Press is a good one, but for the money and strength, I wish I would have got the Walnut Hill. You can also get an adapter to use the S dies on it.

toolz568
03-15-2012, 08:33 PM
Did you consider the press that u.p. north is selling for $575? I built the same press and it is great. Probably bigger than what I need. I made mine for 1 1/4" dies and use a reducer to make it 7/8". Here is the thread. Look at the thread on let's make a press. Just realize mine weighs 63 lbs. It also works well for resizing and loading large calibers. This was putting a strain on my other press.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=129479

Lizard333
03-16-2012, 08:02 AM
I'm going to have to put my hat in for the walnut hill. I just got mine and I love it!! Very good value for the money. Richard is a great guy to work with. Don't let his website fool you. He offers a lot more than what he shows there. Good luck!

Sasquatch-1
03-16-2012, 08:23 AM
I swage with a single die semi wadcutter in a Rock Chucker. It was a cheap way to get started and at my age I really don't want to invest thousands of dollars in equipment.

With that said I broke the RC within the first 50 bullets. RCBS stood behind their equipment and sent me a new link. That has made me think strongly about another press. Either the Blackmon press (which I am surprised no one mentioned) or the Walnut Hill. With the price list I have I could get a complete setup (dies and press) from Blackmon for about the price of the Walnut Hill.

If you are thinking about the C & H 4D die set you may want to call and talk with them seeing as how it could be two years before you get your dies.

DukeInFlorida
03-16-2012, 08:52 AM
Those of us swaging with the RCBS Rockchucker press have learned to replace the link pins with grade 8 bolts. Have run thousands of swaged bullets in 44 mag size without any breakage.

Would love to have a WH press, but none of that is in the budget.

Reload3006
03-16-2012, 09:27 AM
I have and like Dr Blackmons stuff his Bullet swaging supply press I imagine is a good press and a great value but it is a swage only press. It is akin to the corbin Mighty mite. I have a corbin mighty mite press its a good press over all but very limited. and your stuck with M class dies the problem with M class dies is they are very very fragile and when you get in the larger calibers they are very easy to break. I have broken my core swage and Core seat die both and I did it on a rock chucker with the standard press handle. SO just know that going in to it. with M class dies your stuck with dead soft pure PB for cores and bullets. With the others I think you can use harder lead ... I do with my walnut hill and WH dies.

Wolftracker
03-16-2012, 10:00 PM
I have an S press and a CSP 2 that I picked up used, along with numerous dies in 4 different calibers. I rate them both as excellent, both for swaging and reloading. The bigger press and dies will handle harder lead if you wish to swage hard lead pistol bullets, though the dies are more expensive. The Walnut Hill looks like a great press as well and I think Richard Corbin designed both presses. He knows what he's doing in my opinion, based on my experience with the CSP 2 and the S press. It would be very hard to break something with the bigger press and dies, though not impossible. Somewhat more possible with the smaller one so be careful!

tbird1960
03-17-2012, 08:57 PM
I have a Walnut Hill press and it is well worth the money. I just got a set of dies and have yet to get the core mold. I have been trying to swage the lead wire but the press I got from Harbor Freight bent while trying. I plan on getting the 20 ton press and maybe that one will work better.

Sasquatch-1
03-18-2012, 08:54 AM
I have a Walnut Hill press and it is well worth the money. I just got a set of dies and have yet to get the core mold. I have been trying to swage the lead wire but the press I got from Harbor Freight bent while trying. I plan on getting the 20 ton press and maybe that one will work better.

I took an old lee 38 cal bullet mold, that I wasn't using and never planned to use again, and drilled it out for a core mold. I am swaging for .44 cal. It throws a fairly consistent weight core from dead soft lead.

alfloyd
03-18-2012, 10:33 AM

You need to "extrude" not "swage" to get lead wire.
I have a post that I made here about 2 years ago that shows how I extrude lead wire on my Harbor shop press.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=75709

You will notice that I put an air over hydrolic jack on the press. That realy cuts down on the old arm use. :)

I did later get the 20 ton press, but the 12 ton worked fine. You will need to use only SOFT LEAD, as anything harder will not extrude, or will require a lot of heat to extrude at all.

Let me know if you need any more info or help.

Lafaun Floyd

Seth Hawkins
03-18-2012, 11:37 AM
I have the big Corbin CSP-2 Mega-Mite press that I bought used. I only bought it because the price was right. I use it to swage 44-cal paper patch BPCR bullets. It's serious overkill - as in too much press. The thing is a monster. Something the size of the smaller CSP-1 or Walnut Hill press is all you'd need for pistol-size bullets.

The biggest problem you're going to have is acquiring a Corbin press - from either of them. Unless you get lucky and catch them with an unclaimed press sitting around. Their backorder log is usually several months.

finishman2000
03-19-2012, 03:40 PM
i'm going to be be listing a corbin s press for sale, pm me if interested (send me your e-mail for pics). i'll also be listing their cannalure tool (electric).

Sasquatch-1
03-20-2012, 08:56 AM
i'm going to be be listing a corbin s press for sale, pm me if interested (send me your e-mail for pics). i'll also be listing their cannalure tool (electric).

PM sent.