PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Pot

1bluehorse
03-15-2012, 11:39 AM
A question for your RCBS pot owners. When you turn your pot up to the 850 spot how hot does your melt get?? Mine (new) goes to 700 and then just stops. :killingpc Never goes higher....I guess my thermometer could be going bad, but I don't think so. Maybe I'll plug the Lee drip-o-matic in and check it.

beagle
03-15-2012, 10:10 PM
Mine keeps going. I don't know how hot it gets but it sure don't stop at 700 degrees. I use a RCBS thermometer and set it about 775 degrees and then tweak up and down as needed. I really don't pay any attention to the settings on the dial. That's not accurate anyway./beagle

VHoward
03-15-2012, 10:11 PM
Mine goes to 860 when turned all the way up.

Dale53
03-16-2012, 01:26 AM
You can adjust the thermostat on an RCBS pot. just remove the knob and it will be clear as to how to adjust it. Use a GOOD thermometer to set it to your preference.

It has been a while since I had one apart. You may have to drill out the pop rivets that hold the outer shell together, gently spread the sheet metal and remove. Adjust the therm, then gently bend back into place and pop rivet it back.

FWIW
Dale53

Ron in PA
03-16-2012, 08:24 AM
When I turn it all the way up its goes to 750. Mine is from 1980

1bluehorse
03-16-2012, 01:50 PM
You can adjust the thermostat on an RCBS pot. just remove the knob and it will be clear as to how to adjust it. Use a GOOD thermometer to set it to your preference.

It has been a while since I had one apart. You may have to drill out the pop rivets that hold the outer shell together, gently spread the sheet metal and remove. Adjust the therm, then gently bend back into place and pop rivet it back.

FWIW
Dale53
I've pulled the knob and there's nothing under it to adjust...I think you're right on about taking it apart to adjust. Not sure if I want to do that....

Ron in PA
03-16-2012, 02:00 PM
Lyman pot is under the Knob

Dale53
03-16-2012, 05:21 PM
1bluehorse;
It is really not all that difficult. If you lived close to me, I would do it for you, gratis! It'll take just a few minutes but you will find a pop rivet gun to be useful to restore it to it's original appearance and function.

I have had a couple of Lyman pots, also, and wasn't sure until Ron in PA mentioned that it's the Lyman that only requires the knob to be removed but the RCBS requires the removal of the sheet metal.

FWIW
Dale53