PDA

View Full Version : smith 27 grip suggestions?

ratboy
03-15-2012, 12:00 AM
ok, so i bought a 27. wish it had a longer cylinder[smilie=b:. anyhoo........., it currently has a hogue monogrip on it. i have one on my 629 and im ok with it(was on it when i got it). i dont want/need the cushy grip on the 27 since it has a long barrel and a scope (i.e heavy). i also dont care for the way the hogue looks on it. i would like to put some wood grips on it. 2 problems. one is my hands are smaller and i dont know if i would be comfortable with the target stocks and dont want to just start buying grips until i find one that fits my hands. the other problem is i am cheap. i dont really want to spend 75-100 dollars on a set of grips i might not like after i go to the range. i need someone with a bit more experience to offer their advice. i have seen many used grips for around 30 dollars and would be happy in that range but since i dont know if i can comfortably hold a set its still a gamble or if someone has a set of damaged stocks i can play with? this is my new target pistol and it already is not really pretty. as long as the groups are pretty, i am not all that concerned

discuss
:coffeecom

stubshaft
03-15-2012, 12:07 AM
I had a set of Hogue wood grips on mine and loved it. I understand that you may not like the look but to me the Hogues are some of the smallest you"ll find.

JScott
03-15-2012, 06:17 AM
Ahrends.
If you aren't sure which one to pick by looking at their website, give them a call and explain what you are looking for. I couldn't be happier with my Smith and 1911 Ahrends grips.
http://www.ahrendsgripsusa.com/index.htm

RKJ
03-15-2012, 07:05 AM
If you're not in a hurry (and like their grips) you can check out the Hogue auction site http://www.hogueauction.com/ . I've got a 4 or 4 wooden ones from them here and have been very happy. Their wooden ones have the finger grips (so they should be small enough?) and have some are checkered and some aren't.
(I just checked their site and the only 2nds showing for a N frame Square Butt is the Mono Grip) so if you're interested you'll have to check again. I've found them to be worth the wait as they look great and are 1/2 the price of factory new ones. I can't find any blemish on them.

Iron Mike Golf
03-15-2012, 02:51 PM
1. Cruise the gunshows and auction sights and look for Magna grips. Those will prolly fit your hand better than the target grips.

2. Check out CDNN for Herret grips. They are in between Magna and Target grips in size. Nice price, too. http://www.cdnninvestments.com/smwenfrsqbuc.html

ratboy
03-15-2012, 06:17 PM
i like the way hogue wood grips look. if they are near the same size as the monogrip, they might work fine.i found Ahrends during a google search and was pondering them but was concerned i might go way above budget because i am definitely of the mindset of buy good cry once. the magna grips are what i have been thinking about most. i didnt know that is what they are called. i have a set on a k frame that my dad left me and they fit my hand well altho i do find myself gripping the pistol low enuff that my pinky runs out of room. i am not sure if i my hand is looking for a straighter shot at the trigger or if it likes the larger part of the grip. i was thinking a set of magna grips with a tgrip filler that i could modify if need be might be a good idea or does this just get me back to the target grip profile?. the herrett grips also look good but i have nothing to judge them against. i have been cruising the shows but there seems to be mostly collector oriented grips there. i have been watching ebay and gunbroker for a set that looks "right" just been hesitant. the suggestions so far have been most helpful. keep them coming.

Mk42gunner
03-15-2012, 06:20 PM
Back in the late 1980's S&W made a set of wooden finger groove grips that looked to me like they would be one of the best feeling grips for the N frame. Unfortunately they were fairly expensive even then, The last ones I saw on ebay went for way over $100.

I didn't buy any then, I didn't have an N frame. Then the way my luck runs, I couldn't find any when I did get one.

If you are at all handy with woodworking, a set of S&W grips isn't that hard to make.

Robert

ratboy
03-15-2012, 06:42 PM
i have made 2 different sets myself thus far and still disappointed in my skills in woodworking. i may try several more times before this is all over.

ratboy
03-15-2012, 07:36 PM
i also discovered that the magna grips on the k frame fit the n frame but are just a bit small. i was pondering getting some target grips for a k frame and modifying them to fit the n frame. that way they would end up with a smaller filler piece behind the trigger guard. this however seems like nearly as much work as just making a set from scratch.

David LaPell
03-15-2012, 10:06 PM
Here's a set of Grashorn Gunworks elk stag grips with a Tyler T adaptor. I have shot this gun with some pretty hot loads and the recoil is nothing. These are a set of "no bark" grips.

http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss57/Smith29-2/27tyler.jpg

http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss57/Smith29-2/Picture1813.jpg

Mk42gunner
03-18-2012, 02:56 AM
Not a bad looking setup there Dave. I really like Magna grips and a Tyler adapter on a K-frame, It stands to reason that it would be just as good on an N frame.

Robert