PDA

View Full Version : suggestions on the 7.62 Nagent

Boolseye
03-14-2012, 09:21 PM
Hi folks,
I have a m1895 Nagent revolver and a reloading set-up to go with–
I'll be using 32-20 brass and a 100 grain RN boolit. Any suggestions from those of you who've been down this road are welcome. I'm an experienced reloader–but this looks to be a somewhat quirky round. Specifically I'm interested in load data suggestions and seating/crimping techniques, but any random thoughts are appreciated too.
-jp

leadman
03-15-2012, 04:24 AM
I load for my Nagant and think I have the procedure that works for me pretty well ironed out. Another range session should confirm this.

I have been loading the correct brass for the gun, some full length, some trimmed down flush with the end of the cylinder, some at 32-20 length. The full length is the best so far.
With less than full length brass up to 200 fps is lost.

Unique works well with the Lee 93gr RN cast of 40 to 1 tin/lead.

I had to modify the Lee die set so it would seat the boolit down in the case as the original is. I also made a taper die to form the case mouth on a long taper like the Russian ammo.

There are some youtube videos that show the Nagant man loading 32-20 brass and also on how to modify the gun to work with this brass.
Several members here are also loading 32-20 brass.
Have you tried a search?

historicfirearms
03-15-2012, 11:19 AM
I've been working with the exact same set up. I was having trouble with my boolits jumping crimp, mainly because of the quirky revolver design. When the gun is about to fire the cylinder is moved forward to form the gas seal. This is great with the original ammo, but I found that it leaves the remaining six rounds unsupported and they slam back and forth with the recoil of the gun. I could get about four shots off before my bullets would start coming forward and jamming up the revolver. I tried a very heavy crimp and it helped, but it was also swaging down my boolits. My solution was to load the cartridge with Trail Boss or black powder. I now load enough of either powder to just start to compress when the boolit is seated deep, just below the front driving band. I then roll crimp and the boolit is absolutely held in place during recoil. It can go neither forward of backward in the case.

Boolseye
03-15-2012, 04:22 PM
Leadman: Good info on the use of Trail Boss or BP. I can see how the brass slamming around could be an issue.

Historic: How does the real Nagent brass hold up multiple reloadings? And would you be willing to get a little deeper into how you made that custom taper crimp die? I'm not a machinist, but I'm a pretty decent DIYer.

Yes, I did a couple searches–so far I only found a couple threads. I did get some good stuff, though.
I have just discovered The Nagent Man on youtube–he seems to cover all the bases.
Thanks!!