PDA

View Full Version : LEE C309-120-R 30-06 Range test...amazing!

ShooterAZ
03-14-2012, 06:09 PM
I bought the mold primarily to cast & shoot with my M-1 Carbine. It works quite well in my Inland, very accurate and zero leading. This was my first try in rifle other than .30 Carbine

After reading a bit here, I decided to try the same boolit in my Remington 1903 Springfield 30-06. I seated my gas checks, lubed with LLA and sized with the Lee 309 push through sizer. I then flared my case necks just enough for the gas check to slide in. I loaded up with 12 grains of Unique and went shooting...

I used sandbags shooting from prone. I started out using the aperture peep sight set for my j-loads. I could not see where the boolits were impacting my target at 50 yards...so I went up to see my target. No boolits on the target, but one ragged hole 12" low in the cardboard below the target. I was floored at the accuracy with the first and only load I even tried.

I flipped down the ladder sight and tried it with the 550 yd. battle sight at the same range...dead on! I would never had imagined this kind of accuracy with lead boolits. Now I understand why you guys are doing this! I'm going to order boolit molds for my 6.5 Jap, and my Mosin Nagant...and more .30 cal...maybe for my 7x30 Waters Contender...

I got home and cleaned the rifle...once again, zero leading and very minimal fouling.

This was the best fun I've had in a long time. I'm hooked.

Shooter

Marlin Junky
03-14-2012, 06:41 PM
Good for you!
[smilie=p:
Don't hesitate to try all the other Lee designs in your '06. Just remember, an increase in boolit weight dictates the use of a slower powder. That's not to say you can't get good results with a 180 grain .30 caliber boolit and Unique; however, you will need to sacrifice velocity when using faster powders. I'm glad you were able to meet with success so early in your trials.

MJ

ShooterAZ
03-14-2012, 07:14 PM
I hope i didn't just get lucky on my first try at rifle!

kbstenberg
03-14-2012, 08:18 PM
ShooterAZ I'm also just starting to test that bullet in my 30/30. But I started with cat sneeze loads.
I just got my mold used from another member. 1 cavity dropped easily, the other I leemented twice an now I can cast as fast as I want with both cavities polished.

sisiphunter
03-14-2012, 08:39 PM
Depending on the size of the bore in your mosin that 120gr boolit works great in it as well. I beagled my mold up to about a. 312 now and my mosin love that boolit with about the same load of unique you are using.