PDA

View Full Version : NAGS R&D is down!

Jim
03-26-2007, 05:13 PM
I just got put on 10 hour days. It's gonna be Saturday before I'll even look at a mold or a gluelit, never mind having time to experiment. :(

Jim

KevMT
03-26-2007, 05:49 PM
No Problem Jim.

I've been taking some vacation because my wife is sick and have been sneeking out to the garage to try stuff out in order to get out of her hair.

Today I learned

1) Since I push my bloolits all the way in to the bottom of the case, I can smear a little crisco across the case mouth for lube purposes.

2) After lubing in this manner, the glue fouling in the barrel is easily removed with a small spray of brake cleaner and a patch (no brushing required.)

3) A box with a rug folded up in it makes a good gluelit trap.

3) Loads are easily minute of soda can from across the garage and we are having a blast. After hearing our laughter and general yucking it up, Mrs. KevMT wants to join the fun, with me and the boy, when she is feeling better.

Thanks to all of you crazy guys who thought this up.

KevMT
NAGS life member

Jim
03-27-2007, 05:48 AM
Kev,
Thanks for the back-up! And your idea about lubing via deep seating is interesting! This is the kind of help that we need here at R&D.

Joel Chavez
03-27-2007, 12:45 PM
Guys, boys, I just started casting my gluelits last night and had a chance to shoot some out of my Para P12 45. My mold is a Lee's 228gr RN DC. The gluelits are weighing in at 17.0gr-18.8gr. I'm using standard 45acp cases with standard LP primers. I'm seating the gluelits to 1.190", but I'm thinking of using GAP 45 brass and drilling out the primer pockets to accept the LP primers and seating a bit deeper for added pressure. I'm also using high temp. glue stick, but the mold won't fill the way I'd like, so I might try low temp and heat up the mold slightly to allow the glue to fill a little better. Whata think? By the way, I shot them over my chronoy and they clipped the speed trap at 266.7fps. With a 18gr gluelit it yields about 2.83lbs of energy. However, that was with poor lighting, so the FPS might be higher outdoors. I'll give a shot today if the rain lets up. I'll keep you folks posted.:castmine:

Ricochet
03-27-2007, 12:52 PM
By the way, I shot them over my chronoy and they clipped the speed trap at 266.7fps. With a 18gr gluelit it yields about 2.83lbs of energy. However, that was with poor lighting, so the FPS might be higher outdoors.
If the sunlight's hitting them from behind, it ought to push them a little bit faster.

Jim
03-27-2007, 05:41 PM
Ricochet, you're a mess!:roll:

Joel,
There's a thread about a procedure for casting gluelits. Look it up and read my post. I've already worked out the problems you're having.