PDA

View Full Version : Budget Reloader Case Feeder

cbunt1
03-14-2012, 04:23 PM
Does anyone have any firsthand experience with the casefeeder for the Dillon/Hornady machines by Budget Reloader?

They look like a serviceable unit, but wanted to see if anyone has tried them. Considering the unit costs $135 shipped, and doesn't need any additional case feed plates (like the Dillon and Hornady units do), it looks like a bargain, but I've learned the hard way buy cheap, buy twice...that said, case feeding isn't rocket science either. Lifetime warranty, for what it's worth...

From what I can tell, it won't handle rifle brass, but that may just be a matter of changing a feed plate. The only videos I can find of the thing are pretty basic, and don't show the inner-workings of the machine.

Any thoughts on this thing?

Web site is https://sites.google.com/site/budgetreloader/home. Lifetime warranty, for what it's worth...

angus6
03-14-2012, 04:33 PM
You do know that it can be made at home for $25 if your handy
ETA: http://youtu.be/JH-7d9IuVqY
We made a couple at work, real simple

jmorris
03-14-2012, 08:35 PM
What they are selling is just a collator (case feed feeder) that is why they only say "dillon 650" the hornady machins also need the actual case feeder to insert the case from the feed tube into the shell plate.

"No need for other plates" sounds good until you notice the case sizes, 45acp, 40, 9mm and sizes in between. So no rifle, or large/tall pistol cases.

cbunt1
03-14-2012, 09:58 PM
I have been communicating with the guy who makes these, and he confirms that they don't do rifle.

I wasn't initially concerned with that since I'm planning to do my rifle loading either on my turret or single-stage (not a high-volume rifle loader), but your (jmorris) comment did make me question the longer pistol cases (357/41/44 mag) so I asked him specifically about them...I'll let you know what I learn.

As for loading rifles, he *did* say they're working on a marketable plate and bushing/spacer setup to run rifle in it...so I'd assume a little southern ingenuity would get rifle brass through the tubes.

So I'm not completely sold yet, but I'm not turned off either.

Open to more opinions/responses!

cbunt1
03-14-2012, 10:28 PM
Update: I heard back from the mfg again, and he confirms that 38/357 works just fine with the feeder plate on the unit. The size limitation is diameter of the case, and its .490 -- so I guess anything except the .500 S&W and similar cases will work just fine.

mjs408
03-25-2012, 12:13 AM
If you search my name Ive posted a stupid simple bullet feeder "system" that uses hornady feed dies. Currently working on stage two.

johntg
05-31-2012, 12:54 PM
Hi,
the unit does now handle .223...you can purchase a special plate htat hanles, 9mm through .45acp and .223 rifle. The unit does come with a lifetime warranty and has recieved many great reviews on ebay...search on dillon 650 case feeder in ebay.
The feeders are made in PA ...all american but more importantly they work great.
well worth your money and time !

jmorris
06-01-2012, 09:22 AM
This is my budget case feeder, built from recycled materials (sounds better than "junk")

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/DSC02187.jpg