PDA

View Full Version : Black substance covering mold

Jal5
03-14-2012, 12:20 PM
Bought a used Lee mold the other day with a black substance covering the cavities- assuming its some kind of mold release agent? Brake cleaner didn't remove it at all. Mold drops boolits ok.
What type of release agent could this be? I don't use any type on my molds.

Joe

DeanWinchester
03-14-2012, 12:28 PM
Soot from a match used to smoke the mold??? All mine look like that. :)

oneokie
03-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Could be either Moly or graphite spray.

Jal5
03-14-2012, 02:12 PM
Not soot this was very hard to remove just spraying with brake cleaner and a rag- hardly anything came off. And it had a texture of sorts to it by the looks of it.

If moly or graphite spray what would take that off?
Joe

stubshaft
03-14-2012, 04:43 PM
Could be the old Rapine Mold Prep. I have a couple of molds that I used it on years ago and it actually seemed to stain the mold. I could never get all traces of it off, but it didn't affect the boolits any.

badgeredd
03-14-2012, 05:59 PM
Frankford Arsenal mold release would be my guess. I have one mold that I used it on before I woke up and started casting the way one should. I still haven't removed ALL of it after 5 years. There must be a good use of the stuff, but it isn't as a mold release!

Edd

DrB
03-14-2012, 08:14 PM
If it isn't affecting anything why mess with it?

Otherwise, if graphite like frankford you might try a plastic scrub pad (without abrasive), and if that didn't work add mild abrasive like toothpaste or baking soda with a plastic brush. If in doubt, test it in a non critical area before getting in too far (don't start in cavities). Be extremely careful using anything harder than the mold material... It is to be avoided.

You might also try a penetrating oil like kroil.

DLCTEX
03-14-2012, 08:22 PM
Works to fill dings and pits in cavities, then Leement the cavities with abrasive on a boolit.the part in the pit will remain.

runfiverun
03-14-2012, 11:27 PM
like dale said.
coat a boolit with whitening tooth paste, dril the base, insert a wood screw and spin it in the cavity.
this will get the majority of it out, and make the boolits drop free much better.

Jal5
03-15-2012, 10:15 AM
Thanks I will try the toothpaste idea. Joe

bruce381
03-17-2012, 11:53 PM
try acetone or laquer thinner?