PDA

View Full Version : Tell your friends

nwellons
03-14-2012, 08:57 AM
The My Friend the Plumber thread reminded me about a small amount of free lead I received a few months ago. We had been discussing my cast bullet hobby and he said, "I have some plumber's lead that has been laying around for years." We were at his brother's house in a town I visit regularly and he promised to get it to me.

Next time I got by, he had left it at his brother's house for me. It was 3 plumber's ingots. I have not weighed them but I think they are about 5 lbs. each. I like pure lead since most of my casting is for BP cartridges and muzzle loaders.

It never hurts to get the word out.

41 mag fan
03-14-2012, 09:19 AM
Just the thought I've had. We got 3 different battery barns underground, 1 guy I'm good friends with saves me the scrap battery straps, when he replaces a cell.
Last night told another battery guy, you save me your scrap straps, and for every 5 full miner bit boxes full, I'll buy a case of beer for him.
I figure thats a pretty good deal, I get on avg 250lbs of scrap lead from 5 bit boxes, for the price of a case of Bud at CVS or Walmart

ssnow
03-14-2012, 08:28 PM
A little "networking" can go a long way. Not many plumbers actually use lead anymore, but may come across some on remodel work. However, you friend the plumber, knows the Roofers, probably several contractors. See if he will check with them about roof jacks. The plumber also knows other plumbers, and they know other roofers and so on. You just never can tell what may turn up, once you get the word out.

DLCTEX
03-15-2012, 02:01 PM
In my work I come across old cast iron sewer pipe that is joined with lead. I smash the joints with a hammer and remove the lead. Roof jacks, toilet connecters,shower drain pans, old water meter loops, and many other s are good sources. The City employees save the old lead piping for me.