PDA

View Full Version : an old Lyman mold

1bluehorse
03-13-2012, 09:38 PM
Well I'm really feelin pretty good today. I've got an old Ideal/Lyman 452490 mold (thats the GC one) that I've had for a loooong time. Well I got it out a couple days ago and cast about 50 or so bullets with it..... Insert note here...I was/am looking for a more LFN type bullet (which this mold is), as all the other molds for 45 colt I have are the RNFP style. Then I remembered this mold that I had stuffed away somewhere. So that brings us up to this point. When I went to size,lube, and install the GC I found to my chagrin that the GC wouldn't fit. Bullet base to big, hmmmm...I don't remember that..I was kinda bummed about the whole thing as I was hoping that this mold would fill what I was looking for, longer nose SWC style bullet to push hard as a hunting bullet. I figured the GC sure wouldn't hurt and more than likely be a benefit. I look the mold over pretty good, don't really see anything, clean it up a little with some 0000 steel wool, hold it up to the light closed and can see a sliver of light. Well, what the heck.....there's nothing on the face, well wait a minute, the hole the pin fits into in the front seems to have some lead in it, cleaned that out, closed the mold, still daylight, took a verrrrry fine file and dressed the mouth of the pin hole. No daylight. Just cast some more bullets, checks fit with a firm push with the finger with a "pop". I'm a happy caster...the reason for the bullet change is I haven't been able to get very good accuracy with the RNFP PB bullets past 100yds with my Puma..I'm hopin these will do better...

beagle
03-14-2012, 08:48 PM
I have a HP 452490 that I had the GC removed on and it shoots really well in my Ruger .45 Colt. I'm too cheap to buy GCs./beagle

1bluehorse
03-15-2012, 11:23 AM
I have a HP 452490 that I had the GC removed on and it shoots really well in my Ruger .45 Colt. I'm too cheap to buy GCs./beagle

I still have at least half a box of Lyman checks I've had for years. Kinda hoarding them as I don't like buying them either. Probably why I put this mold away to begin with. Now I'm going to buy a checkmaker die from Pat Green and make my own. I like this bullet (it better shoot good in my new Rossi) and hopefully will be able to use it for a hunting round. I've had a few issues with leading and accuracy past 100yds with PB bullets pushed really hard from my Puma 92. Not so much with the Rugers.

Larry Gibson
03-15-2012, 11:54 AM
1bluehorse

I've had a single cavity mould for that very bullet for many years. It is an awesome .45 cal bullet for the .45 AR and the .45 Colt. The shank was made for the old ideal/Lyman slip GC of which I have a box and a half also:smile: Hornady crimp ons fit well but require the extra step of using the GC seater on the Lyman 450 before sizing and lubing. Mine drop right at .453 - .454 depending on alloy and I generally just size and lube with a .454 H&I die. They are the most accurate bullet out of every M1917 and M25 S&Ws and also out of about every Colt SAA, clone or genuine. I also cast them of 16-1 alloy and load them over 4227 for use in my Rossi 24" barreled rifle, at 1500 fps they are very effective:lovebooli I might add that it also is a top end performer loaded over Blue Dot in the .45 ACP for use in my Rhineland M98 Mauser.

The 452290 is indeed a marvelous .45 cal SWC.

Larry Gibson

1bluehorse
03-16-2012, 01:25 PM
1bluehorse

I've had a single cavity mould for that very bullet for many years. It is an awesome .45 cal bullet for the .45 AR and the .45 Colt. The shank was made for the old ideal/Lyman slip GC of which I have a box and a half also:smile: Hornady crimp ons fit well but require the extra step of using the GC seater on the Lyman 450 before sizing and lubing. Mine drop right at .453 - .454 depending on alloy and I generally just size and lube with a .454 H&I die. They are the most accurate bullet out of every M1917 and M25 S&Ws and also out of about every Colt SAA, clone or genuine. I also cast them of 16-1 alloy and load them over 4227 for use in my Rossi 24" barreled rifle, at 1500 fps they are very effective:lovebooli I might add that it also is a top end performer loaded over Blue Dot in the .45 ACP for use in my Rhineland M98 Mauser.

The 452290 is indeed a marvelous .45 cal SWC.

Larry Gibson

Thanks for that information Larry. Very incouraging indeed. I've recently ordered a 20" Stainless Rossi in 45colt. Hope to get it in a week or so. I sold a 24" Puma to a friend to get this one.. I've read alot about the use of 4227 but I've not tried it. ( one of the few I haven't tried) I keep having these brain flashes on simplifying my 45colt loadings. This weeks "special" is 6gr. Trail boss for plinkin cans and stumps, 18.5gr 2400 for "+medium" shooting, carry in the woods, horsey back stuff, 25-27gr h110 for all out hunting loads. Course this is flexible week to week....:-) that midrange stuff is where there seems to always be "options"....The bullets I've been shooting for the last few years from the 45 is the Lee 250gr RNFP from a six pack mold. No issues with it out to about 75yds, much past that it was anybodys guess where the heck it went. (this was with the Puma) I'm of the hope the 452490 will do better.

Larry Gibson
03-16-2012, 01:39 PM
I've plinked (or is that plunked?) at rocks and dark spots on the 200 yard berm at my range with 452490 out of my Rossi and it does very well. I mostly use 18 gr 4227 under the 425490 as that is still at SAAMI MAP for the 45 Colt and is safe if I get one in my SAA's. However, I have loaded to 100+ % loading density under the 452490 for use in the Rossi rifle. Just have to be carefull about placement of the cresent butt plate in the shoulder is all.......

Larry Gibson

azrednek
03-16-2012, 01:44 PM
I have the same mold. I use a Craftsman 7MM 1/4 drive socket to spread the gas checks.