PDA

View Full Version : Sierra ProHunter

wtfooptimax200
03-13-2012, 07:18 PM
Does anyone here have experience with the Sierra ProHunter bullets? I was looking at them as an alternative to the Core Lokts, since those seem to be tough to get at the moment. Do they perform similarly to the Core Lokts at 30-06 velocities?

2shot
03-13-2012, 08:05 PM
I use Sierra Pro Hunter (150's) and Game King (180's) along with Rem Core Lokts (180 RNSP) in my 30-06 for everything. I never saw the need to use premium bullets and have taken everything from coyote's to deer and bear to Dall Sheep and Mt Goat along with Elk and Moose. All three worked every time. I have however found that the Sierra's more accurate than the Rems, especially the 180 Game Kings. I have yet to loose a core from the jacket even with the BT's.

2shot

tomme boy
03-13-2012, 08:09 PM
They work realy well if the shots are going to be over 150yds. Under that an they are going to have core sepperation issues. They are very accurate.

I would look at the HPBT game king. It is supposed to be a harder bullet than the regular SP. These shoot real well also.

Agent1187
03-13-2012, 11:08 PM
+1 for Sierra
I've been using 165 gr GameKings, and not only is the accuracy great, but the performance on game is also fantastic.

Lloyd Smale
03-14-2012, 05:54 AM
Ive probalby used more prohunters to kill deer then all other bullets combined with maybe the exception of nos bts. Im sure the count is up well past a 100 and probably close to 200. Ive never lost a deer shot with them. Ive shot them from 50 yards to 500. Personaly i want a bullet that dumps animals. Sure at mag velocitys on a 25 yard shot there going to mess up meat but ANY bullet will do the same. the differnce is usually minor. Some of the most tore up deer ive killed has been with partitions. Everyone preaches premium bullets to lessen meat damage but i havent really found that to be the case. At first glance it may seem so but look carefully next time. A premium bullet like a partition or a bonded bullet or a barnes bullet will allways penetrate deaper and have a smaller diameter wound chanel but that wound channel will be deaper. What does that mean. In my experience it means that the deer is detroyed on both sides rather then one. Bottom line is though that if a guy is careful with bullet placement and puts a bullet behind the shouler instead of right on it usually all you loose is ribs anyway no matter what bullet you use. Bottome line is i shoot alot of deer every year and would gladly give up 5 lbs of meat to not have to chase a wounded deer for a mile. Not only that but bullets like sierras and bts hands down outshoot premium bullets in most of my guns which allows better bullet placement at long range.

Fishman
03-14-2012, 09:02 PM
Prohunters are good bullets. I've had one fragment on me, a 180 grain out of my 300 mag at 30 yards. To be fair, I also had a Winchester cxp3 180 grain do the same. Out of "standard" cartridges they work great every time.

marshall623
03-14-2012, 10:15 PM
I use 150 pro hunters in my 10" 30 herrett and they peform well at herrett speeds. In the rifle ( REM 700 in 308 ) 165 game kings I've recovered one bullet that more than 2X dia. not only did it stay together it retained just about it full weight . That deer thought it got hit by a train

03-15-2012, 09:06 AM
I've only shot one deer with my 125 gr Sierra / .30 Herrett and it was a through and through with no expansion. It went 40 yards before piling up (dead center heart). 165 gr Game Kings in the .308 is scary accurate and gives DRT performance.

218bee
03-15-2012, 09:25 AM
I use a lot of Sierra bullets as they work well on game for me and they usually give me some of my better groups in whatever rifle I am working on.

Larry Gibson
03-15-2012, 10:56 AM
Sure at mag velocitys on a 25 yard shot there going to mess up meat but ANY bullet will do the same. the differnce is usually minor. Some of the most tore up deer ive killed has been with partitions. Everyone preaches premium bullets to lessen meat damage but i havent really found that to be the case.

I agree with Lloyd 100+ %:goodpost:

I quit using Partitions for that very reason many years ago in my '06s and went back to Sierra Gamekings & Prohunters, Speer Hot Cor's and mostly Hornady Interloc's. All work exceedingly well, especially in standard cartridges and normal magnums. The only place I've seen "premium" bullets work well was if they are truely bonded and a medium to heavy weight bullet is used in the ultra magnums. otherwise meat damage is just as bad as with a standard cup and core bullet.

Larry Gibson

Whiterabbit
03-15-2012, 12:23 PM
I've only killed paper with pro-hunters, but my groups have the holes touching at 100 yards.

Great bullet for hunting-range accuracy, for me.

jameslovesjammie
03-15-2012, 05:45 PM
I almost exclusively use Gamekings, but a Prohunter is the same bullet without a boattail. High front shoulder shots usually leave the mushroom sitting on the far side inbetween the hide and muscle.

Skip to about the 2:00 mark for a 225 yard high front shoulder shot with a .270 and 130 grain Gameking. Prohunter would have the same result.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WhZKnOEoSQ&feature=g-upl&context=G241bc18AUAAAAAAAAAA

bruce drake
03-15-2012, 06:42 PM
One of my bullets of choice when I shoot jacketed are .311 150gr Pro-Hunters for my enfields mosins, and arisakas.

Accurate and affordable.

flounderman
03-15-2012, 09:10 PM
if you shoot them in the neck you don't spoil any meat and you don't have to chase them. I don't like cleaning shot up, bloodshot deer. cook them right and the ribs are the best part of the deer.

Lloyd Smale
03-16-2012, 05:50 AM
Ill say the same about the meat on a neck. Clean it right and its proably the best meat on a deer other then the back straps. If youve never had a properly done neck roast you aint ate venison! Dad even does them up like a porketa, now those are to die for. theres a hell of alot more meat in a neck then there is in 3 deers ribs.
if you shoot them in the neck you don't spoil any meat and you don't have to chase them. I don't like cleaning shot up, bloodshot deer. cook them right and the ribs are the best part of the deer.

nanuk
03-16-2012, 06:34 AM
deer ribs are half fat and half bone

and Lloyd is on the mark that there is far more meat on the neck, I just don't like boning it out.

but the thought of a boned neck roast, done in a slow cooker has me getting hungry!

nanuk
03-16-2012, 06:40 AM
regarding Nosler Partitions, I think most folks have the wrong idea about what they are designed for.

I don't think there were ever to be considered tough, like a stout jacketed 8mm bullet for the 8mmRemMag
I think they were designed to be soft like a solid based nosler, but with the H to arrest the mushroom to enhance penetration.
so my understanding is, they are literally explosive on close up shots at higher velocity.

I think that is why the 130gr .277's were rumoured to be defective and completely come apart.
what they fail to understand is the nose is DESIGNED to come apart.

for standard bullets, if I would be restricted to ONLY Sierra PH's, I'd be OK with that

Jailer
03-16-2012, 07:42 AM
deer ribs are half fat and half bone

and Lloyd is on the mark that there is far more meat on the neck, I just don't like boning it out.

but the thought of a boned neck roast, done in a slow cooker has me getting hungry!

Leave the bone in for roast. Just remove the trachea and large blood vessels and tie it off with a couple pieces of string to hold it together while cooking.

And yes they are fantastic.

nanuk
03-31-2012, 09:28 PM
Jailer, as I used to be a retail meatcutter, I'm kinda embarassed to say I didn't think of just leaving well enough alone and roasting it whole....

sheesh!

Now I AM Hungery!

HANDYMAN
03-31-2012, 11:12 PM
I use the 180gr Prohunter with 54.5grs of R-17 In my savage 111 30-06 and it shoots one hole at 100yds. I've taken 2 deer with that load and it blew a hole in the side of them so big there guts fell out.

Moonie
04-04-2012, 12:22 AM
I use Prohunters in my 6.8 SPC, great bullets, all my other hunting rifles use boolits.

o6Patient
01-03-2013, 05:01 PM
I like sierras Pro Hunter bullets, no nonsense, they probably don't keep there coat
on as long as a corelok will, but probably are a tad more accurate so it's a trade off.
On thin skinned game there certainly shouldn't be a problem unless your too close and the
bullet is smoking..then it might go poof.??
I've been trying for years to get them to build a Pro Hunter in 165gr .308, If they had
I could tell you much more about them. But alas they've wanted me to buy hot-cores
or noslers, being the magnanimous folks they are.

o6Patient
01-03-2013, 05:16 PM
Bing! light just came on, we were talking about Pro Hunters so I didn't think
but I think you'll find that Hornady interlocks will be very close to the rem core-
lokts you've been using.

camotruck
01-03-2013, 06:52 PM
Leave the bone in for roast. Just remove the trachea and large blood vessels and tie it off with a couple pieces of string to hold it together while cooking.

And yes they are fantastic.

What about areas with CWD with the bone comes part of the spinal cord and fluid.

As far as the OP. I've used the 257 on hogs and had great results at longer ranges. I also shoot the .338 250gr in a 338/06 A Square they both are very accurate. I did however switch over to Nosler Accubonds because of jacket separation due to high velocity in my 25/300 but they are a bit more expensive.

Blammer
01-04-2013, 03:52 PM
Sierra Pro hunter's are good bullets. I'd use them and not look back.

Dthunter
01-09-2013, 05:01 PM
I have never, ever had a nosler Partition come apart. I have shot a large amount of game with them, and have only Recovered 2 or 3 partitions. I have used them primarily in .257,.284 &.308 diameters. Some in .338 as well. I have driven the 120grain .257" partitons at nearly 3400fps, and shot big black bears at distances from 5-30 yards. Never had one fail.

Maybe some day I will Have one fail, but i think the odds are in my favor.

smoked turkey
01-09-2013, 07:49 PM
I can comment on the terminal effects of the Sierra 85 Gr. hpbt bullet #1530 for the .243. I loaded the bullet over an entry level load of 3031 for an estimated velocity of 2800 '/s. The load is slowed down enough so as not to be destructive on deer at both short and medium ranges. That load has been used for several years by my grandson, my son, and a good friends daughter to take several nice whitetails including a few really nice bucks.

jethunter
01-09-2013, 09:30 PM
I used the 120 gr Ph in a 7mm-08 deer load for a youngster. performs very well at 2600 fps but not so great over 3000 fps. Also used the 140 gr in the same catridge and it held together well on a big mulie but velocity was well under 3000 fps when bullet met deer. I think this is similar in performance to the remington core-lokt bullets - perform well on the low side of 3000 fps.

Lloyd Smale
01-10-2013, 07:42 AM
ive shot a bunch of game with them too and have never lost an animal shot with them. Of all the premium bullets there hands down my favorite. As to them comming apart it depends on your definition. Ive had many that had the nose blown off of them. Another thing i have to ask is if they exited how would you know they were still intact? there a great bullet and i didnt argue that. My arguement was that you arent going to get any less meat damage with one then your are a cup and core bullet and in some cases because of the extra penetration they give your going to have more.

As to the venison necks. I will continue to bone them. Never cared for the flavor bone imparts into a venison roast. I bone out ALL my venison. If you can filet a fish its sure not rocket science to filet a venison neck. I try to get it all in one big piece if its a decent sized deer and wrap it back up with butchers twine (after trimming) dad rubs them down with peperica and a mix of other spices and does them like a porketa roast. Probably the best venison roast ive ever ate. Im not so creative and just pop them in the crock pot with some lipton onion soup mix and let them cook all day. try it either way and ill guarantee you the days of you shooting deer in the neck will be over.
I have never, ever had a nosler Partition come apart. I have shot a large amount of game with them, and have only Recovered 2 or 3 partitions. I have used them primarily in .257,.284 &.308 diameters. Some in .338 as well. I have driven the 120grain .257" partitons at nearly 3400fps, and shot big black bears at distances from 5-30 yards. Never had one fail.

Maybe some day I will Have one fail, but i think the odds are in my favor.