PDA

View Full Version : Ohaus mod 24 - no mold shelf

tmc-okc
03-13-2012, 07:17 PM
OK, I am new to this game of boolit casting and need help in several aspects. Last weekend I bought an almost new Ohaus Mod 24 furnace ( still in original box). I paid $150 for the furnace, a good quality bottom pour ladle, a cast iron pot and six boolit molds ( 3 lyman 2 cav ( 1 in 38 cal, 2 in 44 cal), 3 Lee single cavity molds ( 1 in 44 cal & 2 in 38 cal. 1 of which is a 150 Gr. SWC hollow point mold)

My questions (a) the furnace did not come with a shelf for the boolit mold to sit on. Can a use a 4 x4 to rest my mold on or is this a bad idea ?

(b) the first time I turned the furnace on I added several Lbs of lead and waited 30 min. The pot didnt even get warm. I unpluged from the top electrical outlet and pluged into the bottm of the same electrical duplex outlet and turned the heat adjustment knob several times and waited 30 min and the pot started warming up. Boy did it smoke from all the dust on the element ? The following day I pluged it back into the original outlet ( the one that didnt work ) and it still refused to heat up. I again plugged it into the botton receptical again and it heated up just fine. My elect. fan works just fine in the top outlet? Is there a specific "Turn On" procedure for this furnace ? (c) when casting to the molds should the pour spout be in contact with the sprue plate ? (d) I have a hard time seeing the botton spout and the relationship of the sprue in the mold. Should I lower my chair to better see things as I cast the molds ?

Your assistance would be greately appreciated. I have read a lot from this forum but havent chimed in much as a newbee should read first..

DLCTEX
03-15-2012, 05:46 AM
Sounds as if you need to replace the receptacle. I have one in my reloading room that is the same way. The shape or thickness of one plug's prongs is different than the other's. The tension is off in one half of the recept.