PDA

View Full Version : 410 vs. 2400 vs. Steel

Marlin Junky
03-13-2012, 04:11 PM
There's a powder buy coming up among a few shooters at my range and I was wondering if anyone has compared the Alliant Powders above in (for example) the 30-'06 & .308W. I realize the intended applications for 410 vs. Steel are as different as night and day so the subject could be reduced to 2400 vs. Steel. I also realize Steel probably won't meter as well as 2400 but if it excels as a reduced load powder with 160-180 grain .30 cal boolits, I won't mind using my Lee powder scoops.

Thanks for the input,
MJ

P.S. There's actually another Alliant powder that sounds interesting as well: Pro Reach... how 'about this'n?

runfiverun
03-13-2012, 04:39 PM
steel does not meter period.
i have tried it in everything ,dillon,lee,volumetric,redding,mec. it has to be weighed.
it however is a very good powder,and the only reason you don't see more data for it is because it doesn't meter.
you have to weigh every load ,no matter if it's for revolver,rifle,or shotshell.
it's right in there with blue dot as far as speed,and i usually start with 800-x load data if i can't find any and go from there.

2400 meters well and i have a load for it in just about all my cast boolit loads.

Marlin Junky
03-13-2012, 04:59 PM
steel does not meter period.
i have tried it in everything ,dillon,lee,volumetric,redding,mec. it has to be weighed.
it however is a very good powder,and the only reason you don't see more data for it is because it doesn't meter.
you have to weigh every load ,no matter if it's for revolver,rifle,or shotshell.
it's right in there with blue dot as far as speed,and i usually start with 800-x load data if i can't find any and go from there.

2400 meters well and i have a load for it in just about all my cast boolit loads.

If Steel is that hard to handle, I can't envision it having a long career... especially if the shotgun boys can't use it in their progressive relaoders. What does it look like?

Anyway, assuming I can get Steel in and out of a Lee powder scoop and through a powder trickler, how does it perform with respect to 2400 when lit up in a rifle cartridge case?

MJ

ku4hx
03-13-2012, 06:37 PM
There's a powder buy coming up among a few shooters at my range and I was wondering if anyone has compared the Alliant Powders above in (for example) the 30-'06 & .308W. I realize the intended applications for 410 vs. Steel are as different as night and day so the subject could be reduced to 2400 vs. Steel. I also realize Steel probably won't meter as well as 2400 but if it excels as a reduced load powder with 160-180 grain .30 cal boolits, I won't mind using my Lee powder scoops.

Thanks for the input,
MJ

P.S. There's actually another Alliant powder that sounds interesting as well: Pro Reach... how 'about this'n?

Don't know about Steel, but charges of 2400 through my Dillon powder measures are very consistent.

Marlin Junky
03-13-2012, 07:36 PM
Don't know about Steel, but charges of 2400 through my Dillon powder measures are very consistent.

I have some experience with 2400 in the '06 but I emptied the can before I was able to get a significant amount of data. I seem to recall using most of the 1# container in my .358W. It didn't seem likely that I was going to achieve the same level of accuracy that I've been getting with Lee309-170 and 22 grains of canister grade 4759 (1850 fps) though.

MJ

runfiverun
03-13-2012, 09:34 PM
it's a big flake powder bigger than 800-x.
btw thats how the burn rate between 700-x and 800-x is controlled through flake thickness and diameter.
steel is fluffy and does make some very good loads.
i have been using it in steel shotshell loads since it came out [@ 1995 airc] and have used it in revolver loads, but haven't tried it in rifle rounds yet.
i weigh it in my electronic measure when i need to use it.

2400 does well enough, but isn't the most accurate in everything.
or most anything,it's always close or good enough and sometimes it does fine.
it can be tightened up with a filler and quite often a pistol primer will shrink groups too.
17-18 grs works acceptably in about everything from the 300 savage case up through the 0-6 with 100-200gr boolits.

DIRT Farmer
03-13-2012, 09:43 PM
I have found nothing that comes close to Steel in loading steel shot in the Ithaca Mag 10. 100% reliable function. That being said, it has to be weighed.

It is the first powder that I have went a complete season with no bobbles with birds out front.

Duckdog
03-13-2012, 11:22 PM
When I reload my steel loads, it's really not about production, but rather gettng it right to assure good velocity and patterns, so weigh every charge wth a Lee Dipper and scale. the dipper gets pretty close and just bit as needed to finish it off if needed.

There is no powder that can match Steel for waterfowl loads.

Huntducks
03-14-2012, 01:27 PM
When I reload my steel loads, it's really not about production, but rather gettng it right to assure good velocity and patterns, so weigh every charge wth a Lee Dipper and scale. the dipper gets pretty close and just bit as needed to finish it off if needed.

There is no powder that can match Steel for waterfowl loads.

+1

Forget everything else when it comes to waterfowl loads STEEL is where it's at.

You just sit down and take your time during the off season one powder drop at a time and no progressive loader here a good old mec steelmaster.

You guys that think because the burn rate is close you can sub. it for 2400 or BD your wrong it all about pressure, the emergency rooms and gun mfg like you guys.