PDA

View Full Version : What kind of finish does Marlin use on their levergun wood?

rvpilot76
03-26-2007, 02:35 AM
I'm going to re-finish my Cowboy, and I'd like to know what I'm dealing with so that I can use the proper technique for removing the old finish. Thanks guys!
Oh, and I'll post the results when I'm done. One last question, can I just use a sealer on the wood without the TruOil that I intended to use originally? I tried the sealer/filler on an old wood handled steak knife, and it looks great!

Kevin

Char-Gar
03-26-2007, 05:33 PM
The Marlin finish is some sort of spray on epoxy type finish. There are a number of commercial products that will strip it, but just use Easy-Off spray oven cleaner. Spray it on and wait until the finish bubbles and rub the old finish off with steel wood. Repeat on any missed spots and clean off the Easy-Off with acetone on a cloth. This whole job is messy and smell bad. Do it outdoors and wear gloves.

You don't need any filler with Tru-Oil. If you use enough coats until the pores of the wood are filled. You can then cut the finish back to the wood with 000 or 0000 steel wool. You will have a smooth dull finish, much like Euopean oil finish.

If you want to change the color of the wood, use a strain before the Tru-Oil, but the oil does have some stain in it and darkens the wood some.

The notion of just using a filler is not a good one as you need a finish in the pores of the wood to keep water out. Without the oil, you will have a warped and split stock sooner or later.

I don't use a filler/sealer and don't know if it would do the job or not. I am just not familiar with those products. as I have been using just Tru-Oil with no filler since 1959 and am well satisfied with the produce. In the Days of Yore, Tru-Oil was advertized as "the filler in in the finish".

dragonrider
03-26-2007, 06:39 PM
I'd go with any oil type stain you wish or even Tru-Oil and follow that up with 5 or 6 coats of Min-Wax Wipe On Poly use a 600 grit paper inbtween coats. This will give you a good lookiing and durable finish.

rvpilot76
03-26-2007, 08:33 PM
Do you guys cut the TruOil down with anything?

Ben
03-27-2007, 08:14 AM
Thin True - Oil with mineral spirits.

Ben

opcon4
03-27-2007, 05:48 PM
Marlin has an epoxy coating on it, like beretta and Ithaca. Its easy cut off with a good paint stripper

tomf52
03-27-2007, 06:17 PM
Got to Wal Mart and in the auto dept there is an aerosol paint stripper labeled "aircraft paint stripper" (sort of a blue and white label). It will remove anything. Quickly too. Just be careful with it's use and your bodily protection. Don't breath the fumes, etc, etc.

Char-Gar
03-28-2007, 10:27 PM
I have never cut Tru-Oil with anything.. I am not against it, I just don't do it.

Steve E
04-05-2007, 09:28 PM
I usually thin Tru-Oil 50-50 with mineral spirits and use that for the first 2 coats. Then use Tru-Oil as it comes from the bottle for the rest of the coats. Don't know if it makes any difference as I have been so long in doing it that way that I can't remember how it did using it full strength for the first few coats. They say what is the first thing to go? LOL

Steve E..........