PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Customer Service

labdwakin
03-13-2012, 03:51 AM
Well, I had to order some parts for a Lyman 4500 sizer that I had bought and needed a couple of things fixed. While I was ordering those parts, I found that they also sell gas checks on the site. No quantity listed except 1.5 lbs... that works out to just about 2,400 gas checks for $52.50 in 30 caliber. The other day my package finally arrived... with only 1,000 gas checks. Ten ounces. THAT'S IT.

I call Lyman Customer Service. The lady I spoke to (can't remember her name because I was so mad by the time I got off the phone) was very condescending and rude and told me I should just send them back for a refund. Shipping is on me of course because I should have KNOWN that 1.5 lbs of gas checks is only 1,000.

Long story short, here's the letter I sent them.

I just wanted to take a few minutes to let you know that even though it may not be on purpose, at least one of your item descriptions is mis-leading on your web-site in regards to quantity. Item number: 2827267 is listed as being qty 1.5 lbs or 24 ounces. As a reloader I know that this equates to about 2400 gas checks. I have decided not to return the 1000 gas checks I received (much to my dismay), and instead take it as a lesson learned and pass the erroneous information on to the 20,000 other members of Castboolits.gunloads.com so that they also will know that the information on your website is subject to your own interpretation and can be misleading. I would suggest reviewing all your item descriptions on Lymanproducts.com for accuracy and clarity with regard to quantity.

I feel kind of ripped off.

45-70bpcr
03-13-2012, 08:17 AM
I have never had a good experience with Lyman's customer service including a visit to the headquarters in Middlefield to buy some parts for a 450 sizer. They wanted nothing to do with helping me. She sent me on my way with a catalog and suggested I call them on the phone. Complete opposite of RCBS which I can't say enough good about.

1hole
03-13-2012, 09:01 AM
"...I should have KNOWN that 1.5 lbs of gas checks is only 1,000."

Well, I'm not defending Lyman C.S. at all but perhaps you should have recognised that shipping weight is NOT entirely made up in product weight. ??

Roundnoser
03-13-2012, 09:19 AM
I agree with the OP on this one. I checked out the web site and it clearly lists all of the gas checks as "1.5 lb". The prices listed are for the checks and make no mention about shipping. How hard would it be to indicate quantity instead of weight? -- How difficult would it be to send the OP and extra 500 checks in the name of good customer service? -- Ever wonder why Dillon and RCBS has such a great following? Wise up Lyman!

Guesser
03-13-2012, 10:19 AM
I ordered some parts for a 450 that I got for 10$ and I needed a front sight for a Remington single shot 22. I called Lyman about 4PM their time. Got right thru, no wait or "hold" time. The lady was very knowledgeable, courteous, and very helpful, I was on the phone for almost 20 minutes asking questions and getting answers and advise. Completed the order, she said it should arrive in 8-10 working days. I watched my bank account, they charged my card and shipped the same day, about 4 working days after the order. I received the order on time and everything was as I had asked. Good service, I will shop at that store again!!!

msp2640
03-13-2012, 11:03 AM
Not defending Lyman on this one, because my two dealings with them on the phone and by email were less than what I would consider to be great or even good CS, however I've never heard of company (or Blammer) selling gas checks by the pound. Happens on the forum by guys selling unknown quantities (PITA to count out 700-800 22 cal checks). Lyman, Hornady or whoever else always has sold in 1000 qty. Lyman should have them listed by quantity on the site. Beyond that though, when you get to the check out on their site it says that their quantity is 1000. Atleast it does now, maybe they changed it after your ordeal? Best of luck - Bill

03-13-2012, 11:04 AM
My many Lyman phone orders and product questions have always been handled in a polite, professional and knowledgeable manner, and I will continue to do business with them.

That said, I do not put up with nor condone rudeness, and agree that the gas checks should be catalogued by their quantity.

Reload3006
03-13-2012, 04:46 PM
I have never Telephoned Lyman but have had similar results in email concerning my 4500. Other than an H&I die they will never ever sell me anything else period. Your experiences with Lyman customer service is the same as mine in their opinion once you buy their stuff its FU

labdwakin
03-13-2012, 05:10 PM
"...I should have KNOWN that 1.5 lbs of gas checks is only 1,000."

Well, I'm not defending Lyman C.S. at all but perhaps you should have recognised that shipping weight is NOT entirely made up in product weight. ??

I fully expected an ounce or three of the 24 ounces mentioned to be packing material. HOWEVER, NOTHING in the description said anything about that being the shipping weight. The way the page was set up, it made it appear that they were selling them by weight. Add to that the fact that I was spoken to by a customer service representative as if I had to be the least intelligent form of life on the planet, and yes, I was VERY put out.

Freischütz
03-13-2012, 06:21 PM
I recently had good service from Lyman customer service. But, 1.5 lb to me means 1.5 lb of product.

If gas checks are $52/thousand, it's time to start collecting aluminum cans and order check making dies from Pat Marlin.

weasel 21
03-14-2012, 06:52 AM
I broke a decapping pin on the lyman universal decapper and when I called they told me a price ($5) plus shipping. I emailed them later and they sent the part under warranty free

ioon44
03-14-2012, 08:09 AM
Well, I had to order some parts for a Lyman 4500 sizer that I had bought and needed a couple of things fixed. While I was ordering those parts, I found that they also sell gas checks on the site. No quantity listed except 1.5 lbs... that works out to just about 2,400 gas checks for $52.50 in 30 caliber. The other day my package finally arrived... with only 1,000 gas checks. Ten ounces. THAT'S IT.

I call Lyman Customer Service. The lady I spoke to (can't remember her name because I was so mad by the time I got off the phone) was very condescending and rude and told me I should just send them back for a refund. Shipping is on me of course because I should have KNOWN that 1.5 lbs of gas checks is only 1,000.

Long story short, here's the letter I sent them.

I just wanted to take a few minutes to let you know that even though it may not be on purpose, at least one of your item descriptions is mis-leading on your web-site in regards to quantity. Item number: 2827267 is listed as being qty 1.5 lbs or 24 ounces. As a reloader I know that this equates to about 2400 gas checks. I have decided not to return the 1000 gas checks I received (much to my dismay), and instead take it as a lesson learned and pass the erroneous information on to the 20,000 other members of Castboolits.gunloads.com so that they also will know that the information on your website is subject to your own interpretation and can be misleading. I would suggest reviewing all your item descriptions on Lymanproducts.com for accuracy and clarity with regard to quantity.

I feel kind of ripped off.

Sounds like you talked to the same lady at Lyman Customer Service that I did, with the same results.

Lloyd Smale
03-15-2012, 06:12 AM
I dont buy lyman products anymore unless i absoultely cant find that product anywhere else. this industry has companys like rcbs, hornady and dillon who bend over backwards for a guy so why give my money to a company that doesnt.

shotman
03-15-2012, 06:51 AM
well it looks like you cant read. CS people dont like to deal with someone that complains be cause of the customers stupidity.
If you had read what it says in the pic
CLEARLY 1000 per package

swheeler
03-15-2012, 09:22 AM
I've said it many times on here, LYMAN HAS NO CUSTOMER SERVICE!

labdwakin
03-15-2012, 03:52 PM
well it looks like you cant read. CS people dont like to deal with someone that complains be cause of the customers stupidity.
If you had read what it says in the pic
CLEARLY 1000 per package

Well thank you Captain OBVIOUS!!! Ever occur to you that they might have changed it AFTER I sent them the nastygram over 3 days ago????

seagiant
03-15-2012, 05:58 PM
Hi,
Sadly, another great old company down the tubes with no resemblance of it's self in the 50's!!!!

Like Lloyd said, better people and company's to spend your money with!

I'll save everyone the story on why I've been done with them! Ha!

shotman
03-15-2012, 08:22 PM
YEA know they change it in 3 days HA HA was same as last year but at their price Gator is much better and half the price .