PDA

View Full Version : first pid experience

cummins05
03-12-2012, 11:34 PM
so i got a pid controller and ssr for my uncle along with as k type temp probe all i can say is wow keeps temp within 1 and sometimes but rarely it drops 2 degrees below the set point. the warm up time seems the same for the pot and everything is very very easy to use. through this i also discovered that my temp gauge from lyman is 32 degrees off from the pid which i am sure is far more accurate that the thermometer didn't try casting any boolits yet but that will be tomorrow ill try and keep y'all posted with my experiences

mktacop
03-13-2012, 07:56 AM
They are great aren't they? [smilie=w:

Built one for my Lee pot a couple months ago, and I wouldn't cast without it now. Congrats!

RydForLyf
03-13-2012, 08:58 AM
On Saturday I too used my new PID on my Lee 20 lb pot and also enjoy not having to manage the temps anymore. However I was setting the PID for 640 and whenever I added a new pound of lead, one that had been warming on the edge of the pot, the temps crashed which led to a frozen spout.

Where do you set your pot temps when you are casting with a PID controlled pot?

Chuck

mktacop
03-13-2012, 09:31 AM
RydForLyf,

In my experience (which I'll admit isn't a whole lot), adding that much lead at one time will lead to a temp crash, no matter if it is pre-heated or not. When I add a lot of lead to refill the pot, I just use that time to take a break while it comes back up to temp.

I normally add the sprue back to the pot in between casts and that will cause temps fluctuations, usually no more than 5-8 degrees for a pot at least half full. If I don't add the sprue back, temps stay within 1-2 degrees of where I have it set.

To answer your original question, I have the PID set at 675 degrees while casting. I've found that temperature to work well for me with my pace of casting (about 1.5-2 casts of 6 cavity molds per minute)

RydForLyf
03-13-2012, 09:44 AM
RydForLyf,

In my experience (which I'll admit isn't a whole lot), adding that much lead at one time will lead to a temp crash, no matter if it is pre-heated or not. When I add a lot of lead to refill the pot, I just use that time to take a break while it comes back up to temp.

I normally add the sprue back to the pot in between casts and that will cause temps fluctuations, usually no more than 5-8 degrees for a pot at least half full. If I don't add the sprue back, temps stay within 1-2 degrees of where I have it set.

To answer your original question, I have the PID set at 675 degrees while casting. I've found that temperature to work well for me with my pace of casting (about 1.5-2 casts of 6 cavity molds per minute)

What I was trying to do was keep the pot 80% full or better so I wouldn't have to monkey around with the flow control. After a full afternoon of casting and 1800 boolits, I figured out it's probably better to just go ahead and run the pot down, adjusting flow as necessary, and then fill it up when needed. I think this will give me the best time efficiency instead of putting in a new pound every 6 or 7 molds and wasting another 5 minutes getting going again.

Chuck

AU '86 War Eagle!

mktacop
03-13-2012, 10:37 AM
AU '86 huh? I was a freshman at Auburn in '85-'86...go figure! My son is a sophomore at Auburn now. :bigsmyl2:

Reload3006
03-13-2012, 01:25 PM
Roll Tide ..... I'm just sayn LOL

RydForLyf
03-13-2012, 01:29 PM
Roll Tide ..... I'm just sayn LOL

Ouch,,,,, that hurts.

Frozone
03-13-2012, 01:41 PM
RydForLyf,

If you keep the pot > half full. It'll help with the temp fluctuation when adding lead. It will still drop a lot however.
That is one of the reasons I built a dual PID. I run 2 pots with two different alloys and keep 4 -5 moulds hot.
Cast out of pot 1 for a while, add lead to pot 1, change moulds and cast from pot 2. add lead to pot 2, change moulds and cast from pot one. repeat till done.

I insulated the pot bottom with 3/8" of fiberglass insulation between the Al cover and the true pot. It keeps the spout a little warmer. My LEE 20# pots get spout freeze ~ 650º, but it's worse in the winter with temps below freezing.
Much better with the insulation.

RydForLyf
03-13-2012, 03:41 PM
If you keep the pot > half full. It'll help with the temp fluctuation when adding lead. It will still drop a lot however.
That is one of the reasons I built a dual PID. I run 2 pots with two different alloys and keep 4 -5 moulds hot.
Cast out of pot 1 for a while, add lead to pot 1, change moulds and cast from pot 2. add lead to pot 2, change moulds and cast from pot one. repeat till done.

I insulated the pot bottom with 3/8" of fiberglass insulation between the Al cover and the true pot. It keeps the spout a little warmer. My LEE 20# pots get spout freeze ~ 650º, but it's worse in the winter with temps below freezing.
Much better with the insulation.

With that process, when do you have time for a :drinks:?

Chuck