PDA

View Full Version : Lyman #45 top punch

Steel185
03-12-2012, 09:02 PM
I was using my Lyman #45 yesterday and started to change over to .476 for the first time and didn't have any top punches for the boolits. these are 325gr and 400gr FN boolits. The normal one i use for .451 boolts was not big enough. Since i was using LEE molds i thought, just email lee and see if they can make one from their custom shop. That way i'd have it from the people that made the mold. They emailed me back and said i need to send some boolits to lyman and have them make me a top punch. I expected more from Lee but I'm not sure why. They even post on their website they make custom molds, sizers, and top punches. Lyman had some top punches for 44 cal i thought might work and i almost ordered some for $10.96 + 6.00 shipping. but their website wouldn't let me order go through, the page wouldn't load. I next went to Accurate molds. They sell flat top punches in varous sizes for $2 each, that is not a typo $2, and change $3 for shipping. I was impressed someone still makes a good product and doesn't charge a redicouls amount for them. I bought 3, with shipping it cost me $9, just to show Lee and Lyman (in my own mind) i could get 3 better items for less that their price.

Thanks Accurate molds

http://www.accuratemolds.com/

snowwolfe
03-12-2012, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the tip. Just ordered the 3 piece set for $5 and they added $3 to shipping to Alaska.

Ziptar
03-13-2012, 03:35 PM
You've already ordered but, I figured I'd still post this.

I made myself a flat top punch that works great in the Lyman 45.

I got a 6MM bolt from the hardware store with the longest unthreaded section of shank they had.

I filed the head smooth then ran it over 400 grit emery cloth.
I cut the shank long enough so it was even with the top of the hole in the casting on the sizer when the head was just barely touching the bottom. Then I filed a notch in the shank so the set screw would hold it in place but not tight it just sort of hangs off it. That gives it some wiggle so it will float until it contacts the top of the bullet and then set flush on it at the same time the bolt head also pushes up flat against the casting

http://www.ziptar.com/bullet_casting/homemade_flat_top_punch.jpg

It works well considering it cost $0.19 and took 20 minutes to make.