PDA

View Full Version : My Kel Tec broke

sewerman68
03-12-2012, 07:31 PM
I recently bought a kel tec p 32 at a gunshow. I always test a gun for a few weeks, shooting a couple of magazines thru it every day after work before I am willing to trust my life to it. I am non plussed, vexed even, that 6 days after purchasing this weapon, while shooting it yesterday the magazine ejected forcefully on the second pull of the trigger. Now, when ever the slide moves back, the magazine falls out of the pistol. This irratating querk my gun has developed makes it VERY difficult to shoot with any degree of accuracy. I have not quite put a hundred rounds thru this gun yet. This is disconcerting. What sort of pain can I expect in getting this fixed. How does one send a pistol to the manufactuerer? How much does it cost? Having to spend good money on shipping for a broken, brand new pistol REALLY chaps my nether regions. Thank you for the band width for my rant, and any helpful comments/suggestions in advance.

fecmech
03-12-2012, 08:19 PM
If it's brand new call Keltec and ask them for a call tag for UPS so you can send it in on their dime. My Keltec P3AT broke after 23 rds. Keltec sent a call tag, fixed it in a couple weeks and I've had over 1000 trouble free rds since. Are you sure you are not hitting the mag release button with your hand while the gun is in recoil??

troy_mclure
03-12-2012, 08:30 PM
ive heard of the mag falling out on the pf9, but not the p32. if its being forced out it might be a mag issue.

is the gun new? if so keltec will take care of you, just give them a cal.

if not try asking on the keltec owners group forum(ktog) lots of helpfull chaps there, and lots of good stickies.

i have nearly 5k rounds thru my p32, with only minor issues in the beginning.

subsonic
03-12-2012, 08:32 PM
Never had that happen on a .38 snub:kidding:

I had problems with my P3AT. I don't own it anymore. I'm slowly weeding out all of the problem children. Life's too short to own an unreliable self defense tool.

Lest you think I'm only a revolver guy, my main carry gun is a G20 that was very early production. My #2 gun is a no lock S&W 337ti, but I don't trust it yet.

Finster101
03-12-2012, 08:45 PM
I have a few hundred rounds through my P 32 with out a single hicup. From what I have heard Kel-Tec customer service is pretty good. Give them a call and see what they do for you. Then do us a favor and post how they handled it and what was wrong.

James

sewerman68
03-12-2012, 11:12 PM
Thanks, I actually read several positive reviews about this pistol here before I bought it .

Subsonic I have always carried an sp 101, I was just trying for something a litle lighter, I tried a new alloy s&w for a little while, it didnt shoot lead well becouse the leads in the cylider were smaller than the forcing cone and after about 500 rnds the cylinder would no longer lock up reliably.

I also just recently tried out a ruger lc9, THE most awful trigger ever. Gritty and inconsistant is probably the best way to describe it.

I have had my sp 101 since 92 or so and never an issue, Go figure.

I will give kel tec a call & see what we can do about it.
Thanks Y''all.

MtGun44
03-13-2012, 01:50 AM
Mag catch is plastic, can wear out. VERY cheap to replace. No big deal.

Bill

thegreatdane
03-13-2012, 11:59 PM
they have a lifetime warranty and customer service, no?

subsonic
03-14-2012, 06:36 AM
When I sent my P3AT in with a dammaged frame (egged takedown pin hole) and a nice descriptive letter included, they sent it back "No problem found. Frame in spec."

But I guess I just have good luck, because my BFR had to go back 3x too. At least MR payed for shipping an finally fixed the BFR.

ratboy
03-15-2012, 12:10 AM
i have had to fix 2 keltecs so far. one was a failed spring and one was a extractor problem for which there is an updated part. parts were cheap and easily ordered online. i spent 9 dollars. that is all the intel i have at this time.

revolvergeek
03-15-2012, 12:37 PM
Years ago I owned I had a P11 that dropped magazines and broke pins. I got fed up with it and talked the store I bought it from into taking it back after several repairs. A couple years later I bought a P32, and it broke the end loop of the hammer (main?) spring while it was just sitting in a holster. I called them and they acted like it was no big deal and offered to ship me the spring to repair it, but wanted to charge me if I sent it back to have them look at it and install the spring. I had about 650 rounds through it and it was just finally starting to get reliable. I was quite disappointed with their attitude about the problem and finally ended up getting a replacement spring, fixing it and trading it off for a 22 rifle.

I don't buy KelTec pistols anymore.

pdawg_shooter
03-16-2012, 11:35 AM
QUOTE:
I had problems with my P3AT. I don't own it anymore. I'm slowly weeding out all of the problem children. Life's too short to own an unreliable self defense tool.

Life could get real short with a unreliable self defense tool !

pietro
03-16-2012, 05:49 PM
[ How does one send a pistol to the manufactuerer?]

Pad/pack the P32 in it's box, along with a nice letter of explaination and your name/addy/landline#.

Go to a USPS Post office, and select from the lobby display, the smallest Flat Rate Box that your boxed P32 will fit into - (The USPS box is free).

At home, pack the KelTec pistol/box inside the USPS self-sealing shipping box - then wrap the parcel with plain brown wrapping paper.

Address it to KelTec's Service Dept & ship it either FEDEX or UPS - Federal Law provides that ANY private non-FFL citizen may ship their own gun to ANY FFL (beit manufacturer, customizer, or repairman), and receive the same gun in return, w/o having to go through an FFL.
Local & State may indicate otherwise, and it's best for every person to check the laws in their own municipalities, prior to acting.

cattleskinner
03-17-2012, 11:26 PM
You might be able to get away with mailing a handgun through the USPS, but for the most part it is not allowed unless you meet a few criteria. Most of the time it has to be through a certified carrier which gets pretty pricey.

http://http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm (http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm)

sewerman68
03-18-2012, 04:11 PM
I looked up the mag well with a flash light and a magifying glass and could see a sliver of plastic hanging off the mag catch. I called Kel tec and they are sending me a new one. Any one interested in a deal on a p 32?

garym1a2
03-18-2012, 04:53 PM
Just get a Glock 17/19/21/22/23 Gen 3. They just work.

MtGun44
03-19-2012, 01:51 AM
And on what planet is a Kel Tec .32 and any Glock used in remotely the same application?

How about a 12 ga pump, very reliable and effective. And just as silly an alterntive to a micro .32

Bill

pipehand
03-20-2012, 08:51 AM
Have a P-32 that started as a first generation model. Shot the hell out of it. It is surprisingly accurate. I even shot it a few times in IDPA style competition- pocket gun class. Last time I did that, it went Tango Uniform- would not extract/eject a fired case. Sent it back to Kel-Tec and they replaced the whole slide with the new style- different extractor.
My wife has a P3AT that she ccw's when wardrobe doesn't allow the Kimber CDP. The mainspring that is retained by a pin @ the heel of the pistol rusted through. Kel-Tec fixed that too.

garym1a2
03-20-2012, 07:32 PM
Different planets for sure, one always works and the other get lots of complaints. But at least they have a good return policy.

I do not beleive in carry guns that are not 100% reliable. Maybe a much better choice is the Ruger 380 LCP if you want tiny.

And on what planet is a Kel Tec .32 and any Glock used in remotely the same application?

How about a 12 ga pump, very reliable and effective. And just as silly an alterntive to a micro .32

Bill

MtGun44
03-21-2012, 05:25 PM
My Keltec P3AT is 100% reliable.

Bill

subsonic
03-21-2012, 05:41 PM
The Ruger is an exact copy of the Kel-Tec. Besides cosmetics, only QC and the slide lock might separate them.

gunfan
03-21-2012, 08:54 PM
My Kel-Tec P-11 shoots like a house afire! It works well, and has yet to let me down.

Scott

dla
03-22-2012, 11:23 AM
What's the big deal about repairing the P32 yourself?

If I bought a used gun and something broke I would fix it. Oh I might ask for some clarification on the Kel-Tec forum, but I don't think I would talk much about it on a cast bullet forum.