PDA

View Full Version : 458 win mag

milltownhunter
03-12-2012, 06:20 PM
witch do you think is a better and stronger gun in 458 win mag the winchester 70 express or the remington 700 safari

376Steyr
03-12-2012, 06:38 PM
"Stronger" would be the Remington with its "3 rings of steel" breeching system. "Better" would be the Winchester with its 3-position safety and an extractor that doesn't look like it used to be a paper clip. The Winchester is plenty strong enough. I have a post-64 M-70 in .458. I made the mistake of shooting someone else's handloads in it and discovered it could handle a load that pierced the primer and made me glad I had glasses on.

03-12-2012, 09:07 PM
Stronger and better? Ford or Chevy. Each has its strong points and weak points.
If you are talking brand new guns- I dunno?

I've had most models of both from the earliest Win M70s and Rem M700s thru the last of the New Haven Winchester M70s (about a 2004 model) and a fairly recent Rem 700 (maybe a 2006 model).

I know that if in the future you want to sell that type rifle, probably the Winchester 70 will carry a slight premium over the Remington.

I know that if in the future you want to re-barrel and accurize (blueprint) then the Remington will be easier (and less expensive) to do.

The last factory Winchester 70 big boomer I bought was a ca 2004 New Haven gun. Up until then most of my REALLY accurate hunting rifles were built using Rem 700 actions. As it turned out this late model 70 Winchester is one of the most accurate and IS the smoothest, most reliable cycling CRF hunting rifle I own. A pleasant surprise!.... so now it ranks "from my cold dead hands" status along with a few other old original Winchester pre-64 70s and a few assorted original Winchester lever guns.

stubshaft
03-12-2012, 09:58 PM
Personal preference is the Winnie.

snowwolfe
03-13-2012, 01:14 PM
Will agree with all the previous comments and seeing you live in Montana I'll add another.
I used to hunt with only Remington rifles but gave them up about 12 years ago due to having issues with water getting in the trigger then freezing making the rifle inoperable. IMO this is caused by the boxed in trigger design and the close tolerances of a well adjusted trigger. Not an issue in warmer climates but where I hunt (Alaska) it is.
The Win 70 style trigger is the best trigger ever devised for a hunting rifle. It was a shame they changed it when they "reintroduced" the Win 70 a couple of years ago.

03-13-2012, 11:47 PM
The Win 70 style trigger is the best trigger ever devised for a hunting rifle. It was a shame they changed it when they "reintroduced" the Win 70 a couple of years ago.

Now that's the truth! The pre-Columbia Win M70 trigger (1937-2006). The essence of engineering genius- simplicity, durability, adjustability and reliability.
Why not change it! [smilie=b:

Lloyd Smale
03-14-2012, 05:47 AM
im a big fan of remington 700s but for a 458 id probaly go with the winchester.

Nazgul
03-14-2012, 07:22 AM
On my second Winchester 458 WMag. Really prefer the Winchester in this caliber. I am a Remington fan too!

Don

white eagle
03-18-2012, 01:34 PM
no offence against Rem but seeing that I own zero Rem's
I would suggst and recomend Winchester

429421Cowboy
03-24-2012, 01:03 AM
Even though i am a huge Remington fan all the way, i would pick the Winchester is given the choice. The tiny clip extractor bothers me only a little on my rifles, but if i had a true big boomer the CRF and Mauser claw would be the top dog for me. In fact i'm looking into converting my rifles to Sako-style extactors to give them some more beef.

waksupi
03-24-2012, 01:24 AM
Ahem....I just happen to have a Model 70 Winchester .458 Win Mag for sale, with dies, brass, and bullets.....
And seeing as how you are in Montana........

Mooseman
03-24-2012, 01:29 AM
Ahem....I just happen to have a Model 70 Winchester .458 Win Mag for sale, with dies, brass, and bullets.....
And seeing as how you are in Montana........

Got me drooling in Alaska...

mud lake
03-25-2012, 06:02 PM
Just so happens that my Alaska "go-to" bear gun is a .458 Win. Mag. Super Express Winchester with a 20 inch magnaported barrel and a williams aperture rear sight mated up with my own hi-vis custom front sight. Kilt a grizz a few years back with it - Mooseman skinned it out for me, kept the hide but I wouldn't give him the rifle!!! (sorry, Rich!)

Mooseman
03-25-2012, 06:35 PM
Just so happens that my Alaska "go-to" bear gun is a .458 Win. Mag. Super Express Winchester with a 20 inch magnaported barrel and a williams aperture rear sight mated up with my own hi-vis custom front sight. Kilt a grizz a few years back with it - Mooseman skinned it out for me, kept the hide but I wouldn't give him the rifle!!! (sorry, Rich!)

HAHA....Wait.:kidding:

Four Fingers of Death
04-04-2012, 11:12 AM
Most of my hunting rifles are Remingtons, so I tend to prefer them. I don't currently own a 458WM, but have had a few in the past (CZs).

My current dangerous game rifles are a Remington 375H&H and a Ruger No1s in 338WM and416 Rigby. These are not going to see dangerous game with these rifles and if I was, I think I would choose the CZ platform or a WInchester CRF or a Ruger No1 ( I hunt wild dogs and I suppose they are dangerous game, but prefer a smaller calibre for them).

For blasting at the range, the Remington is great, but I wouldn't consider facing really dangerous game with one.

One point though, I once read a report regarding a Professional Hunters Seminar in Africa (this one concentrated on African PHs and only studied local issues).

To a man they used European rifles, doubles where they could afford them and CZ or old Magnum Mauser based rifles. They preferred the 458Lott, but all reported the odd feeding problem with the big CZs which had been converted to the Lott (this would not probably be a problem anymore, as the Lott is a standard chambering in the big CZ now.

They generally avoided American rifles as they experienced trouble with them hunting in crappy African conditions week after week. They praised the accuracy and build of the American rifles, but said the tolerances were too tight for dangerous game with continually steenking hot weather / dust storms / dusty trucks and general rough handling.

The European stuff was aimed directly at Africa and had 'sloppier' actions and as a result functioned better the report said. They went on to say that the American rifles were fine fo rshort term use but were not suitable for a PH in the field all week, every week.

I would be happy with Ruger No1s for dangerous game hunting, especially with common cartridge head sizes, such as a 300WM and a 458WM or Lott. If one bites the dust, you can scrounge parts from the smaller calibre to keep big old nasty 45 cal rifle going. The barrel is the only thing different so spares carried will fit either rifle.

All conjecture unless I win the lottery because I ain't got the bucks for a fancy hunt!

missionary5155
04-05-2012, 07:55 AM
Good morning
If I was going to go out an buy it would be a Mauser. Probably a CZ as they work. Mike in Peru

Four Fingers of Death
04-05-2012, 12:42 PM
Good morning
If I was going to go out an buy it would be a Mauser. Probably a CZ as they work. Mike in Peru

Yep! That pretty much sums it up, lol.

Just Duke
04-05-2012, 03:43 PM
Personal preference is the Winnie.

What he said. ;)

Four Fingers of Death
04-05-2012, 10:56 PM
Nice battery there Duke!

justashooter
04-12-2012, 10:51 AM
personally, i prefer a military mauser. i am having a 43 bcd rebarreled to 458 as we speak. custom stock, sights, etc., when it comes back.

Four Fingers of Death
04-12-2012, 08:10 PM
'43 bcd' Whats that? My mind is only just ticking over this morning.