PDA

View Full Version : Russian (Tula) SKS removable magazines

historicfirearms
03-12-2012, 02:07 PM
I just picked up a Russian made SKS a few weeks ago. I got it already modified with a steel, no-name, 30 round duckbill mag. The mag feeds fine but I would like to get a couple more mags for the rifle. I picked up one of the Tapco 20 rounders that everyone recommends and I cannot for the life of me get it to feed. It is like the magazine sits too low in relation to the bolt. The bolt will strip off a round, but the bullet hits below the chamber "ramp". Does anyone have any recommendations for a mag that will fit a RUSSIAN made SKS? I'm not apposed to switching it back to the original fixed magazine and just feeding it with strippers, but I kind of like to have the removable magazines if I can find another that will work for me.

zomby woof
03-12-2012, 04:58 PM
IMHO the removable mags are more of a pain than they're worth. I can load 10 rounds with strippers faster than fumbling with those stupid removables. What you need is a nice type '84.....

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/DSCN07662.JPG

Bloodman14
03-12-2012, 05:30 PM
It may be a characteristic of the Russian made guns; my Yugo works with Tapco mags just fine.

roots911
03-12-2012, 06:00 PM
The Tapco mags did the same thing in my Tula but the fix is simple. Remove some of the wood from the sides inside the mag well. It seems that the wood pinches the mags and makes them malfunction. Mine worls great now and you cannot see where the wood was removed.
A better solution might be the machined insert that fits in the mag well and lets you use standard AK mags. They are a lot easier to change than the duck bills. I can't remember the web address of the place making the inserts but I remember they were $69 or so. A search should turn them up. One of the SKS boards could probably supply the address.

Good luck.

Frank

Aloxite
03-13-2012, 02:31 PM
The Chi-com 20 round fixed mags are pretty cool. They hold the bolt back after you insert the stripper clips so it doesn't slam home while you're trying to get the second clip in.

I can't recommend any of the duckbill mags myself. YMMV.