PDA

View Full Version : Mineral spirits of turpentine

lead chucker
03-12-2012, 01:58 PM
I have a can of mineral spirits of turpentine, is this what you can use to thin alox? Can a guy use denatured alcohol that would dry fast. I want a dry finish. I'm sure every one here that uses alox has dropped a bullet and had sand dirt stick to the nose.

honus
03-12-2012, 02:12 PM
Stick to mineral spirits or naphtha. Alcohol will absorb water.l

sundog
03-12-2012, 02:46 PM
Dip loob ala Ranch Dog so there is no loob on the nose.

Shiloh
03-16-2012, 09:55 PM
Use mineral sprits.

Is what you have genuine turpentine or the imitation turpetine??

Shiloh

williamwaco
03-16-2012, 10:01 PM

I have used alcohol - mineral spirits is much better.

Westwindmike
03-16-2012, 10:55 PM
The last mineral spirits I bought last week was white like milk. Is that the wrong stuff. The last MS I had sitting around for years was clear/yellow, like kerosene.

Wolfer
03-16-2012, 11:01 PM
I recently discovered I was out of mineral spirits but I had some turpentine so I used it. The boolits stunk a little ( just like me ) but they shot just fine.

runfiverun
03-16-2012, 11:09 PM
paint thinner is mineral spirits.

geargnasher
03-17-2012, 01:46 PM
Long before finding this site, I used cooked-down turtle wax, turpentine (gum spirits), and LLA to make a pretty decent tumble lube. I also used denatured alcohol and it worked ok, but the lube tended to flake off if you stored the boolits for a period of time without loading.

I'd stick with mineral spirits. REAL mineral spirits, AKA aliphatic mineral spirits in the steel can from Ace hardware or similar, not the "greenie" stuff that's half water.

Gear

montana_charlie
03-17-2012, 02:01 PM
He wants to thin his lube with a solvent to get a thin application.
He is considering alcohol because it evaporates quickly.

Where does your concern about water absorption come into play with a thin coating of dried lube?

mold maker
03-17-2012, 02:15 PM
The milky stuff is a conbo of MS, WATER, and alcohol. It's slow to dry and way too expensive for what it is. It's ment to reduce the Petro use for the GREENY WHINEYS.
Reg MS is by far the best product for this use.
By the way, Charcoal Lighter works and is found everywhere.

Westwindmike
03-17-2012, 06:29 PM
Well I tried the "milky stuff". It seemed to do well. I set the boolits out in the sun. They dried quickly and are not sticky. They still smell like LLA. I'll shoot them and see what happens.

I will look for some real MS to make my next batch of Ed's Red though.