PDA

View Full Version : When to use Large Pistol or Large Rifle Primer

OregonCaster
03-12-2012, 01:57 PM
OK fellas as the title states here the scene: :popcorn:

Cartridge is a 30-06 Springfield (Winchester Model 70).

Case: Winchester
Primer: That's the question
Powder: 15.0 grains of Unique
Bullet: (2) Lyman 311672 & Lyman 311299 both sized to .310" and lubed of course.

Well using the Pistol Primer leave unburned powder in the barrel

felix
03-12-2012, 02:02 PM
Missing Dacron! ... felix

OregonCaster
03-12-2012, 02:12 PM
No filler also gas checked.

Larry Gibson
03-12-2012, 02:13 PM
I'd use the LR primer.

Larry Gibson

OregonCaster
03-12-2012, 02:28 PM
I was hoping to get out to the range today but here in the Willamette Valley we have a "Wind Advisory" needless to say, not to condusive to lauching lead.

Rocky Raab
03-12-2012, 02:37 PM
While switching SMALL rifle and pistol primers may sometimes have advantages (as in the Hornet), LARGE primers are of different heights. That changes the firing pin "hit" substantially.

Never use large pistol primers in a rifle cartridge or vice versa (unless following load manual instructions).

DeanWinchester
03-12-2012, 02:59 PM
I have run low on large pistol primers in the past and used a primer pocket uniforming tool to take it to LR depth on 45 colt brass. This was for a Ruger blackhawk and I reduced loads by 10%. Normally I would say no to something like switching primers, but it IS a Ruger. They're tougher than the average bear.

As far as the OP....Standard large rifle primer. Stay away from the pistol primers. I fireformed some brass for a 308 and thought I'd use LP primers since I have a lot of them now. Pierced primers SUCK! All I can say is, thank GOD it wasn't a real load.

Bwana
03-12-2012, 03:04 PM
I have run low on large pistol primers in the past and used a primer pocket uniforming tool to take it to LR depth on 45 colt brass. This was for a Ruger blackhawk and I reduced loads by 10%. Normally I would say no to something like switching primers, but it IS a Ruger. They're tougher than the average bear.

As far as the OP....Standard large rifle primer. Stay away from the pistol primers. I fireformed some brass for a 308 and thought I'd use LP primers since I have a lot of them now. Pierced primers SUCK! All I can say is, thank GOD it wasn't a real load.

"I'm" here, "they" will be along shortly, no doubt.