PDA

View Full Version : Need loading data for 40 S&W

swimmer
03-12-2012, 09:26 AM
Hello, first post.
I'm loading 170 gr Missouri Bullet lead SWC. Need load for Unique or Bullseye and OAL. Thanks. Tom

garym1a2
03-12-2012, 09:48 AM
Hello:
Can you specify your goal?

Major Power factor or
Minor Power factor?

Target, plinking or more.

40 can be loaded from very light to stout.

For general pinking 3.5 to 4.0 of Bullseye works, I like 3.7 gr of WST. I use a TC that weights 172GR so my OAL is no good for your boolit.

For higher power loads the Unique is much better to work with, but I don't load hot 40's as I only load for Target and IPSC Minor.

It also matters type of gun you use. I would not load too hot in my Glock 22. But I would have less concern in a all steel 1911 type.

Hello, first post.
I'm loading 170 gr Missouri Bullet lead SWC. Need load for Unique or Bullseye and OAL. Thanks. Tom

Stick_man
03-12-2012, 10:17 AM
Swimmer, first off, welcome to the best forum on the planet. Lots of great info here and even better folks willing to help answer questions and bounce ideas off of. Spend some time reading threads that have already been posted. Chances are that each one of your questions have already been discussed at least once, even many questions you didn't even think of have been discussed. The search option at the top of the page is very helpful.

Unique is a little more forgiving than Bullseye when it comes to hotter loads. Like Gary said, a lot depends on your application.

Also, if you haven't already done so, it would be a very good idea to consult published load data. For both of those powders, check out Alliant's website. A good reloading manual is also advised, Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook #4 has quite a few great loads for the .40 s&w in it.

Good luck, stay safe, and have fun.

coyotemoon
05-09-2012, 08:45 PM
I load my 40 with a 140gr tc from Missiouri bullet
4.3gr Titegroup
accurate and not to snappy.
Bersa Thunder 40

Rico1950
05-10-2012, 09:20 PM
Swimmer
OAL is best determined with the chamber in YOUR barrel.

popper
05-11-2012, 12:38 PM
Some have problems with SWC in 40, I don't. Load to .02-.03 from the lands or whatever fits in your mag. Unique or 231 is probably better for that weight CB. BE does seem to be less 'snappy'.

JWFilips
05-15-2012, 04:38 PM
Well I was loading 5.0 to 5.4 gr Unique with the 175 LSWC at 1.30" COL Winchester Brass & Federal small pistol primers for my 4046 S&W auto Shot sweet & accurate with no feed problems Bullets were from Jerry at Carolina Cast Bullet Co
This was with Old Unique I hear the new stuff is a bit hotter

gray wolf
05-22-2012, 09:02 PM
Also, if you haven't already done so, it would be a very good idea to consult published load data. For both of those powders, check out Alliant's website. A good reloading manual is also advised, Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook #4 has quite a few great loads for the .40 s&w in it.

I would say this is the best advise you can get, and sure to make you a better reloader.